Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you can form your sights using silly clay, then you can form them into pure silver or 24K gold! REALLY!.
Their is a new product in the jewelry business called PMC, this stands for Precious Metal Clay.
You do not need any special tools at all! just a carving knife or even a pocket knife, You will need a oven that can reach around 1000 degrees or so.
All you do is cut or shape the clay the way you want it to look and bake it in the oven and it comes out Pure .999 silver or pure 24K gold!, you will need to allow 30% for shrinkage though.
The PMC in silver costs $32.50 for 1 ounce and the gold costs $149.97 for 1/4 0z lump. Whats left over when you get done you can make yourself a ring or something. I have not used this product yet but have heard nothing but good about it.
I will give you the phone number and web site for this company, they are a wholesale jewelry business but will sell wholesell to you if you just tell them what you are going to do, or better yet just tell them that you sell jewelry, all the other wholesellers require you to be a member of the jewelers board of trade.
Their phone number is 1-800-545-6566
Their website is www.riogrande.com

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Correction on my post

You will need a oven that will reach 1700 degrees, If you take what ever you make with the PMC to a goldsmith in your area they will bake it for you as a courtesy since they have their oven on anyway. Also one thing to keep in mind is that 24K gold can be a little on the soft side, If you would make your sights out of the gold I would hollow out as much as you can to save on gold!, areas like maybe the bottoms

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is why!

To break up the monotony of all black, and add a touch of class to the gun.
Why does Taurus gold plate trigers etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I see your point..but sights have a black finish for a reason. Most are angled/serrated/Black so they don reflect/refract light and interfere with your sight picture. A shiny sight would cause great havock while trying to get proper sight acquisition..in my mind.......just one mans opinion.
Triggers and controls are a different story..................
Shoot well.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No different than Stainless or Nickel, Chrome

You can serrate the front and back blades of the sights to break up the light radiant. I have guns with Stainless Steel sights etc. and shoot just fine, Colts nickel plated 45acp are almost all nickel plated sights.
This is one advantage to making your own sights!, you can cut and shape them to fit your individual needs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts