Kel-Tec Forum banner

Which caliber do you actually carry more?

• .45 ACP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10mm AUTO

• .40 S&W

• .357 SIG

• 9x19mm Luger

• .38 SPL/.357 MAG

• .380 ACP

• .32 ACP

• .25 ACP

• .22 LR/.22 MAG

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering which caliber us KTRangers actually carry the most? I myself carry my P32 more than my Glock 19 or Kel-tec P11.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I carry my P3AT 100% of the time I can, so it's definitely my most-carried caliber. .38spl & .40S&W would be a close second, because I alternate between my P40 and my Taurus 85 as a "secondary" weapon. I often wonder whether my P3AT is my backup or whether it's being backed up by the larger gun, seing as how it's my "always" gun... :shock:

G

·
since you can't pick 2 i had to go with the 9mm as that is the caliber of my LEO duty weapon and what I carry 95% of the time, in addition I carried my P3AT as a back-up but after it's poor performance on the range the other day it has been temporarely replaced by my P32. The rest of the time I switch between a 40cal and 10mm.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Most Carried Gun

I carry my Kel-Tec P11 all the time.
Tom Staggs

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Not trying to start a gun war here, but...
How many of you have used a GOOD Inside the Waistband holster, and carried a 1911?
If you carry it properly, in most cases behind your wallet and the grip snug against your kidney, you'll find that full-time carry is absolutely NO problem whatsoever.
The 1911 is slimmer than a P-11. Believe it or not, IWB carry is easier with the .45.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Not trying to start a gun war here, but...
How many of you have used a GOOD Inside the Waistband holster, and carried a 1911? Flyer
I have. It was the worst gun carrying experience of my life. :shock: I could not keep my pants up no matter how tight I made my belt. I looked like a first day rookie at CCW. :D The only way I would carry my 1911 again is in a duty holster. But that is just me.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
carry

drove down and back to columbus yesterday to a wedding. had my p11 in my travel jeans by belt clip. sport shirt hanging loose. no problems at all. one o'clock position. stopped and bought gas and a pair of cokes. changed clothes and left gun at sisters house while we went to church and reception. around 325 mis. in all. rode well with no discomfort. :D might have taken the p3at but havn't had a chance to go to range since doing the ramp smiley mod. i know my p11 will always work!

·
Registered
209 Posts
45! After all, there is no other caliber. I've been using a belt clip on a full size 1911 off and on latley without any problems in the same position as flyer was saying with the IWB holster. Works fine.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re: carry

byron said:
changed clothes and left gun at sisters house while we went to church and reception. around 325 mis. in all. rode well with no discomfort. :D
You know this reminds me of a time in my life. LOL. My brother asked me to be his best man at his wedding. I remember standing there and listening to his vows when I felt my P-11 on my right hip. I had forgotten it was even there! Needless to say it was a safe wedding. :)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
carry caliber

after looking at poll results, i wonder how many of the .45's are of 1911 size? percentages of other calibers seem to be dictated by weight and concealibility in most cases. are those packing .45's using a smaller, lighter model? would 9mm be as popular if the only option were a full size browning? how much of a trade off to smaller caliber is due to convienience? i'd bet that the 9mm/.380 choice can be traced directly to the influence of the p3at/p11. would introduction of a "p45" put the p11 in your safe?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I wonder if the ban sunsets if the 9 is going to make a comeback since you could get hi-cap mags cheap again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Re: carry caliber

byron said:
after looking at poll results, i wonder how many of the .45's are of 1911 size? are those packing .45's using a smaller, lighter model?
Here! Here! Pick me! Pick me! Kimber Ultra Carry 1911 in the pocket 100% of the time and Springfield GI45 in the waist 75% of the time. Go 45! :handgun:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
can't vote

can't vote, my primary not there.....357magnum snubbie revolver in an IWB on my right hip, concealed under shirt, loaded with Rem 125gr Golden Sabers. So give me a .2 percent. og is weird anyhow.
cheers

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
oldgranpa,
Yep, it's there! Choice #6.
You don't think anyone would leave ya out, do ya? 8)
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Byron,

Since the P-4T5 doesn't exist (yet), I got the next best thing -- the Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro. Yes, I picked it becuase it is a .45 ACP, is small -- light, and still had a 10+1 capacity.

My P-11 has been safe-bound for quite some time. Now, with the acquisition of the PT145, my P-40/P-357 has found a new home in my office desk drawer....

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Now it may be just me, but I have no problems at all with my P-3AT and THIS 10 in the mag, one in the chamber .45 ACP:

Flyer

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
caliber

f&s, i had you specifically in mind when i asked that question. i know that there are those that carry the 1911 size .45 because their faith in it is such that they would carry nothing else. i do believe we all make trade offs in these situations. my parameters are drawn more by size/weight/caliber now that downsizing is offering more choices. the taurus .45 is indeed interesting. how are you carrying?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Byron,

Right now, just slipped inside the waistband -- until the Blade Tech kydex paddle holster arrives (3-4 week delivery).

You are correct, many swear by the 1911-style for carry. I like my Gold Cup for the range, but I've never been comfortable personally with "cocked & locked" for concealed carry. It's completely safe, I just prefer to have something that is easier for me to get into action quickly for a CCW -- such as this DAO Taurus, the KTs, or the unique HK P7 (grab and pull the trigger kind of guns).

As much as I hate the anti-gun legislation, such as the magazine capacity limitations, I have to say I feel that one piece of anti-gun law did more for the design of suitable CCWs than occurred prior to the ban. When capacity was limited to 10-rounds, the manufacturers placed their primary design emphasis on small concealable pistols. Think of the popular "sub-compacts" that have hit the market after the magazine restrictions. The KT P-11 came out in '95, as did the Glock 26 & 27.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
concealed carry F&S

i've never been able to find a paddle nor belt holster that i find comfortable and effective for concealed carry. my old nra purchase GI .45 has been stuck in my pants mexican style on a few occasions, but always hammer down on an empty chamber. i can't devise a way to carry in a holster without some type of outer garment. behind the hip carry is very awkward and uncomfortable for me at least. i much prefer the one o'clock position. the weight of the p11 w/beltclip fits my needs admirably. a polo or t-shirt completely hides it and it doesn't drag my pants down. i have a "clipdraw" on a makarov but the added bbl. length and weight is definitely noticeable and it prods me in a sensitive area. i.ve tried iwb holsters but my personal quirks ruled them out.
[too long, too bulky, etc.] i,d like a .45 for carry but wonder what the extra 1/2 lb. of the taurus would do? bbl. length would be negligible. went to "cronies" breakfast this am with my 3at in my pocket. two of the group are "anti gun". felt pretty smug sitting there eating my eggs and toast with never a suspicion on their part! only wearing a golf shirt and levis. couldn't have gotten away with it wearing a holstered .45! i agree with your "grab and pull the trigger" philosophy.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Well, since we're talking 1911s...
If you've ever competed in a speed match with one, you'll know why the safety is so important both to safety AND speed.
Most of us who've shot the plates or pepper poppers use the "thumb high" hold - in other words, our thumb rests on the safety at all times, shooting or not. After awhile, as you reach for your pistol, your thumb automatically slides on top of the safety, and as you draw and present to the target it "wipes it off" - simply pushes it down as your grip tightens up.
This is one reason larger, custom safeties are so popular. It's not because they're faster, but they provide a comfortable resting place for your thumb under recoil!
Moving right along to shorter, smaller 1911s...
It seems to me that Colt pretty much set the true, 100% reliable size reduction bar when it introduced the Commander (now called the Lightweight Commander). The original Commander was aluminum framed. Some actually prefer the Commander's balance; to me, I like the slightly muzzle-heavy feel of a full-size model. It helps keep that front sight steady.
The efforts to further reduce the pistol's size (the Officer's Model, for one) have required a pretty drastic change in the entire pistol's recoil system and lockup characteristics.
In short, while I admire the many small 1911s on the market for some pretty innovative features - I can't get myself to trust it. This pistol and it's cartridge were designed specifically for each other, something VERY few pistols can claim. If the design is altered and miniaturized enough, you're tampering with the very carefully crafted combination of the gun and it's ammo... and in my experience, at least, the 1911 doesn't like it a bit.
This is why, when a small .45 is called for, I don't opt for the 1911 format, but rather a Glock or other, modern design intended to be small.
Okay, end of speech... I don't even know why I made it anyhow. I guess I should find something to keep me busier at night. 8)
Flyer

1 - 20 of 51 Posts