Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased a used P-32 (with GREAT difficulty). Not an easy thing to do legally in CA. Anyway, it is serial number 12,5XX and I was wondering when it was made. I don't really care, but the Attorney General does. If I ever want to sell it, the date it was made can become important. It seems to me that this is a fairly old serial number, but I'm not sure.

Any information would be appreciated.

CA

From a state less heard from.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Sounds like a newer serial number to me (last year or so) -- but before they switched to the alpha-numeric system. My P-32 is in the 3,5xx range. Call KT at 1-800-515-9983, or send them an email, and they should be able to give you a date range for that particular gun.

Glad I don't live in California... :)

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Actually, no, it think it's a pretty early one... maybe late second year, early third production... the P-32 was over 100,000 when the lettered production began.
Doesn't really matter, though, since all upgrades you might need are free, and if there's anything wrong with the frame (unlikely, though), and it needed replaced, the same serial number would be stamped on it, avoiding the "new gun" garbage in Kali...
In other words, it's pretty much safe to buy ANY vintage P-32. Lifetime guarantee!!!
Flyer

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flyer,

Thanks for the info. I know I'm safe as far as buying the gun. In fact it has been back to the factory at least once to get a hard chrome job, most likely within the last year or so.

I was interested in finding out when it was manufactured. I think I read that Kel-Tec started shipping in 1995 with the first P-11. I'm not sure when the P-32 was introduced. Since the most current serial number I have heard of was over 112,000, I assume that 125XX was made in the first year or two. Just wondered if anyone might know when that was. Especially if it was before 1-1-2001.

Thank you for your help.

CA

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
CA -guy,
Give Bloodwalker a private message with your serial number, and he'll likely be able to tell you the exact date of manufacture.
He's Kel-Tec's head gunsmith.
Flyer

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re:

I have a 10XXX that I got around 8/99 - I think, I'll have to check my records. Absolutely no question that it was made before 1-1-2001 though. Believe the P-32 came out in 4/99.

CA-guy said:
I was interested in finding out when it was manufactured. I think I read that Kel-Tec started shipping in 1995 with the first P-11. I'm not sure when the P-32 was introduced. Since the most current serial number I have heard of was over 112,000, I assume that 125XX was made in the first year or two. Just wondered if anyone might know when that was. Especially if it was before 1-1-2001.

Thank you for your help.

CA

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alamo,

Thanks, that's what I thought. It will make it easier if I ever decide to sell this little beauty. Took it to the range yesterday for the first time and came back with a smile on my face and a band-aid on my trigger finger. What surprised me most was how much like a "real gun" this little toy was. I'm used to firing a 1911 or 9mm and firing the P-32 was a similar experience. I expected it to be more like a 22, or even a paint ball gun, but damn, it kicked in my hand and made a loud noise just like the big boys. Some kinda fun! Even though I could just about double my money selling this little gem, I think I'll keep it. No one here has seen a Kel-Tec before, and the looks on their faces when they see the size of my tiny gun are worth the price of admission.

CA

From a State less heard from.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Checked my records, my 10,XXX was purchased 2/00, later than I thought. It had just been recently received from the factory. Still, your 12,XXX would have been made just a month or 2 later.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alamo,

Again, thank you for the information.

Flyandscuba,

Would that I could. Since it was introduced after the dreaded list of "approved" guns put out by our Attorney General, there is no way to legally own one here in the land of the fruits and nuts. It was hard enough getting my hands on a P-32. Took over a year.

Someday these things will happen:

1) Kel-Tecs will be recognized as real, safe firearms.

2) Calif will get "Shall Issue" CCW.

3) Hell will host the winter Olympics.

Not necessarily in that order.

CA

·
Registered
23 Posts
when made

I bought my P-32 about three week ago in a local gun shop new. The serial number 23,xxx mean that it laid in stock for a long time?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought a 23,XXX that I later sold to a friend in 9/00. It can happen. I once bought a Seecamp .32 at a gunshop that was "new" but turned out to be made years ago.

·
Registered
23 Posts
when made

I bought a new Walther P-22 off of the same gun shop earlyer inthe year and found out latter on the web that they had come out with modified mags, so I guess he had that in stock for a while. He had a used P-32 he would have let me have for $50.00 cheaper and I wouldn't be supprised if it had a later serial number.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts