Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently carry a Sig 232 in 380 on a Bianchi IWB holster. I would like to add a rear pocket carry pistol in 380 as well. I like the idea of using the same caliber ammo for both pistols.
My dilema: Which pistol do i purchase? The NAA 380 Guardian or the Kel-Tec P-3AT? I regulary get onto both this forum and the NAA forum to research the two pistols.
I like a slide to lock back when i fire the final round and as of yet the Kel-Tec does not have this feature. But i did read a thread about an aftermarket slide lock that is being prototyped as we speak.
The NAA Guardian weighs 18 ounces loaded! Heavy! But i believe it does have the slide lock feature.
Both pistols are about the same dimensions. But the NAA Guardian runs about $100 more at best.
I do not own either "brand" so that has no impact on my decision. Then only thing i can go on are reviews and owner satisfaction.

Thanks

G

·
if you consider what the role of this additional pistol is, you really don't need a slide lock. if it is a BUG to your regular carry piece than it probably won't be fired that much anyway and if you resort to it and you fire it until it is empty than maybe you are in the wrong situation.

·
Registered
467 Posts
P3AT

I own a P3AT and proud of it!, it is a true pocket pistol, I have never had even as much as 1 problem!, I love it so much that it drove me to the internet to read more on it and found this site and have been a member ever since I bought my P3AT.

The Guardian does not even have a ejector on it!, in a combat situation you may need to fire sideways, upside down and without a ejector it could cause a jam.
The ONLY thing better about the Guardian is that it is fancier looking but if you are going to use it for concealed carry that is not going to matter!

$800 Box

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much of the P-3AT is plastic?

I can't say as i'm totally convinced that "plastic" guns are the way to go. The description on the Kel-Tec site says the slide is steel the frame is aluminum and the grip is plastic. Call me old fashioned but i like a metal gun. I feels solid and not flimsy in my hands. I owned a ruger p97-DC that had a metal upper with a plastic lower. It wasn't balanced right. It shot well and was accurate but it just didn't feel right to me.
I agree that as a BUG it may not "need" a slide lock but it would be a nice option to have.
By having both my ccw weapons the same caliber it doesn't really matter which pistol is drawn first! my BUG could turn into my primary weapon. There are far too many variables to comprehend.
I've always been taught to count shots and reload before the slide locks to the rear. Making a slide lock really unnessasary, but for cleaning or quickly clearing the weapon it sure does come in handy.
For failure to fire or failure to feeds just "slap, rack, and pull"

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Note... the Guardian is NOT the same size!
It's much, MUCH thicker.
After firing both guns side-by-side you're going to realize that the Guardian will seem like a bowling ball in comparison weight-wise, and thicker than a two by four in the hand.
Also, the Guardian is NOT rated for +P ammo... the P-3AT is.
Flyer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no need to get pissy boys!

I asked your opinions. I didn't ask to get jumped on! As i stated i have no experience with either the Kel-Tec or the NAA Guardian. I am actually leaning towards the Kel-Tec. From what i've read on other posts it seems like a very well engineered pistol for about half the price of a Guardian. I also didn't realize that the Guardian does not have an extractor, very poor design in my opinion.
What a welcome for a new person posting to this forum! I didn't realize there was such anamosity between the two pistols. Note to everyone, not everybody that posts on this board is an "expert" regarding the Kel-Tec firearm. It takes asking questions to figure things out sometimes!

:evil:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope, ya didn't get "jumped on"... you just triggered our Alarm System with a couple of Code words, so to speak.
Frankly, the P-3AT is a SUPERIOR design. It's a locked-breech pistol... which allows it to be more functionally reliable in addition to handling the hotter loads.
Also... the P-3AT not only has a steel slide, but the actual FRAME is a solid aluminum machining... the grip is just to hold the magazine and to provide a handle to hold the pistol!
In effect, it's not much different than a Beretta 92-FS using a steel slide and aluminum frame, but with plastic grips.
The P-3AT is NOT a "Plastic Pistol". A very common misconception.
Flyer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!

I had asked how much of the pistol was plastic. Right away people thought that i was bashing the pistols when infact i was trying to picture the pistol in my head. The pictures that i've seen make the lower half look like it's plastic. Thanks for clarifying that the frame is aluminum and just the handles are plastic.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
which one?

If you are still having trouble deciding which one to get then you need to do more searching.
Go to the NAA forum and read all the comments about problems with the Guardian. Very few over there have any comments on the P3AT.
Go to GlockTalk.com and search under the other firearms forum. Lots of comments about both pistols.
Then if you want to hear some P3AT bashing you go to TheHighRoad site.
But this is the KelTec site and most of us are here since we have confidence in our P3's and P3AT's.
Sorry if you were offended in any way but very few of us are going to tell you anything positive about the NAA Guardian. Common sense should tell you that.

Best of luck in your search,
og

·
Registered
205 Posts
For failure to fire or failure to feeds just "slap, rack, and pull"
having a slide lock or not does not change this....

I to would like a slide lock, but only for the range, nothing to do with how I would use it for carry (I don't usually have a spare mag for my P-32 anyway).

this should help you visualize:

(Image resized to 640 width by Midiman - please see announcement in Admin section)

only the grip and trigger guard area are plastic the frame (yellow part 210) is aluminum, and the slide and barrel are steel. Most inernal parts are also metal with the exception of the guide rod, frame pins, mag catch, and trigger

·
Registered
40 Posts
Chicken-Farmer:

Let me preface this by saying that I have not fired a .380 NAA Guardian, so take this with a grain of salt. That having been said...

Before I recently bought a P3AT, my dedicated pocket-gun was a Kel-Tec P32. Before I decided once & for all (well, at least until my wife took it over... :oops: ) on the P32, I bought a .32 NAA Guardian & a Beretta 3032 "Tomcat" right along with the P32. In my personal experience & opinion, the NAA is simply too heavy for comfortable pocket carry & the Beretta had one of the worst triggers I have ever experienced. The P32/P3AT are the thinnest/lightest centerfire pistols you will find above 25 caliber, bar none.

My first recommendation is that you simply buy both and see which one works for you. (You can sell/trade the "loser" at your convenience.)

If budget limitations require you to choose without trying both then my back-up recommendation, without apology or qualification, is that you get the Kel-Tec.

Hope this helps in some small way and, "newbie-to-newbie," welcome to the board. :D

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
p3at

chick, i bought a 3at just under a month ago. very happy with it. 50 rnds. so far without any mishaps. prior to firing i cleaned it thoroughly, polished the ramp, lightly sanded the rails with 600 grit wet/dry, put on a trigger stop and uncle mike small size slip on grip. the gun is a delight and the "carryability" is unbelievable. previous to buying it i had always felt that 9mm was as light as i would go in a ccw pistol. after handling the 3at in the store, i had to have it. it is truly a "take anywhere" gun. my usual trousers are either jeans or "dickey" khakis. you'll forget it's in your pocket. i havn't purchased a pocket holster and not sure i will. i have only fired 95 gr. semi wadcutters so far but bought a box of 95 gr. cci's jrn's today so i can check for "smilies". if they occur it's easily remedied by the methods already worked out by the other members here on the site and they're always happy to share their knowledge. by the way i have had a p11 for almost 3 years and it's been flawless with over 900 rnds thru it. i feel you can't beat a kel-tec regardless of cost. if you decide on a p3at i'd bet you'll be happy. good shooting. :D

G

·
i havn't purchased a pocket holster and not sure i will.
byron, for about 11.00 you can purchase an Uncle Mikes #1 pocket holster. make the modification to hold an additional magazine and you are good to go. i would caution anyone against carrying a pistol in their pocket without properly covering the trigger. it's not as nice as leather but it is almost too affordable to pass up.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
holster

norf, thanks for the info and recomendation. i'll definitely look at one tommorrow. just hate the idea of adding bulk to such a great design. as yz said i dont plan on carrying a spare mag, i figure i'll be in a world of trouble if i ever have to run it dry. my p11 has a clip and it is very handy also. i guess i'm just getting old and averse to loading up my pockets. with my keys, change, money clip, pen knife and assorted debris in my left pocket and the 3at in my right, i'm going to look like a chipmunk storing seeds. :D

·
Registered
467 Posts
Pocket Carry

I have carried my P3AT in my pocket without a holster until I got my beltclip!, I too first worried about the gun going off in my pocket so I put it to the test!, I unloaded it and carried it around the home rough housing around on the floor with my grandchildren, have left my jeans on and the empty gun in the pocket and did 2 - 6 hour days of extensive workout and the hammer never droped, after I first got the beltclip I worried even more about it going off so I did the same activity with the gun empty and the hammer never droped!, it is exactly like carrying a revolver in your pocket!.

When I took my NRA Basic Pistol Course I asked my instructor if he thought it was safe and he replied " Thats How They Got Their Name Pocket Gun "

I will say one thing about pocket carry without a holster and that is that the gun flops around more in your pocket.

$800 Box

1 - 20 of 25 Posts