Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure it a simple thing, but I'm stumped.
Got my P3AT back from KT with a chrome slide upgrade and it was working fine. 50 rounds with no problems so it's time for a cleaning.
Only problem is that with the takedown pin removed, I can't get the slide off. It locks up 1/8" in front of the frame and won't go any farther forward.
What am I doing wrong?
Kim

·
Registered
145 Posts
It should slide right off with the assembly pin removed. About the only thing I can think of that would keep it from sliding off is something has gone wrong with the guide rod/recoil springs/recoil spring catch. Might need to get something to push the recoil spring catch or guide rod around and see if the slide jiggles loose. Flyer may have an idea.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I assume the magazine is removed prior to attempting to disassemble the slide from the frame?

Another possibility is that the recoil spring/guide rod has slipped off of the barrel lug and has angled down into the polymer grip causing the bind.

Are you able to replace the takedown pin and rack the slide -- or is it bound in that position, refusing to move forward or aft? If so, I definitely think the recoil spring/guide rod has slipped down.

If you can move the slide forward enough to push back the dovetail guide rod retainer and remove it (caution - the spring will be under tension) -- once it is removed you should be able to pull the spring and guiderod from the polymer frame, freeing the bind and allowing the top end to be removed.

Hope it helps...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just about to edit my message and ask if the magazine was out & to replace the pin and see if you can rack the slide - thanks. That should narrow down the problem.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, all the above...
Plus, there's a possibility that your barrel has rotated ever so slightly in the slide, and the barrel lug is now hitting the inside of the frame as you pull. If everything else fails, try moving the barrel side to side by pressing it throught the top of the ejection port.
Also, it sounds as if it's binding up right around the point where the slide passes the ejector... if you can see it, jiggle the ejector a little.
Flyer

·
Registered
167 Posts
I assume the magazine is removed prior to attempting to disassemble the slide from the frame?

Another possibility is that the recoil spring/guide rod has slipped off of the barrel lug and has angled down into the polymer grip causing the bind.

Are you able to replace the takedown pin and rack the slide -- or is it bound in that position, refusing to move forward or aft? If so, I definitely think the recoil spring/guide rod has slipped down.

If you can move the slide forward enough to push back the dovetail guide rod retainer and remove it (caution - the spring will be under tension) -- once it is removed you should be able to pull the spring and guiderod from the polymer frame, freeing the bind and allowing the top end to be removed.
This happened to me too, so bad that the only way I could get the spings out was to unscrew them after I took the dovetail guide rod off.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
\"what am i doing wrong\"? deja vu

the same thing happened to me. i bacame so frustrated that i laid it down and went back to it the next day. i shook it, banged it against my hand, pushed the bbl. hood until my thumb ached, hand cycled it as far as i could, i even inserted a piece of 20 gauge steel between the slide and grip and probed around and cussed it until my wife left the house to get away from me. i'm not exaggerating when i say i had sweat pouring off my face. i had to take two nitros. FINALLY, it just slid off during a hand cycle. i don't know what finally happened to release it. i love the gun but when i contemplate taking it down i'm filled with loathing. i havn't experienced it again and can put it back together in under an hour usually. my p11, S&W nor mak give me the fits my 3at does. i really havn,t shot it as much as i should simply because i dread taking it apart. the take down prob has not occured again. all i can tell you is to keep messing with it and maybe you'll experience the same miracle i did. didn't have any probs the last time i took it down to do the flyer chamber hood mod. just hang in there. i feel your pain! :?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

More on the problem.
Yes, I can put the takedown pin in and out at will.
The barrel is free to slide forward with the slide racked back.
The guide rod is fixed in what appears to be the right place and won't move back when pressed with a punch.
The magazine is removed.
Everything seems normal, except the slide will not move forward beyond about 1/8" beyond the normal battery position when the takedown pin is removed.
This gun was cleaned and lubed before firing and came apart normally at first.
I've shot and cleaned this model (the replaced gun of course) for over a year and just can't see what I'm doing wrong.
I'm confused!!!
Kim[/quote]

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
If your barrel is free to move your guide rod has slipped off.
With any luck you'll be able to see the end of it through the mag well. Using a small screwdriver, try pushing it forwards until it's back under the barrel lug.
If this can't be done, retract the slide and pull forwards on the guide rod with a small pair of pliers, to get it out of the way of the frame and back onto it's position on the barrel.
Flyer

G

·
Could this be a problem that KT is not milling the lug of the HC barrels enough to catch the reciol spring when assebmled? This could be an intermittent problem and exaserbated by the fact that we can't keep our barrel when we upgrade.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Flyer

Right On as usual. Pulled the guide rod forward with pliers and it slid right off.
Now I can go get it dirty again.
If this happens again I will contact KT with the question. For now I am quite pleased with the new gun except for the takedown pin walking out after a couple magazines. The old one never did that.
This one is smoother overall and the trigger is more comfortable. I had to sand the heck out of the old one. Accruacy is actually a little better and the "sights" are more visable to my aging eyes.
Thanks again for all the help.
Kim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.