Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my SU-16 out yesterday to get the scope sighted in and do some plinking. That went pretty good and I was getting some decent groups when I was taking my time. Shot about 100 rounds of American Eagle .223 in various mags without any problems. I've had a 300 round sealed bag of 5.56 laying around so I decided to try it out. I loaded up a factory 10 rounder and settled in. First shot went well, but didn't eject. It was stuck in the chamber. It tried to feed the second round and jammed. I removed the second round. The bullet was pressed into the casing pretty good. I used a cleaning rod to remove the stuck casing. I examined it and noticed that the rim was chewed up where the extractor tried to remove it. I thought "this isn't good" so I reinserted the mag and fired again. Everything functioned fine. I slowed fired the remaining shells with no problems. I hope to try it some more soon and see how the surplus stuff does.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Hmm... 300 round bag... sounds suspciously like a South African battle pack? The stuff is notoriously unreliable. It seems to be lot dependant... some guys have no problem with the stuff... me, it's the only stuff I ever shot that my ARs wouldn't digest without complaint.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure on the manufacturer. I'll check when I get home tonight. The 300 rounds was given to me as a gift, so even if it doesn't give me great results, I'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Brown bag?

Sounds like the same trouble I been having with SA battle pack cheap a$$ S#it. Busted rims. Out of 240 rounds I have had this happen 6 times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plastic/rubber bag is od green. On the front it says:

300 RD
5,56 x 45mm
BALL M1A3
CTN

338 A 86

It has 10 cardboard boxes with 30 rounds each. They say:

30 RD
5,56 x 45mm
BALL
M1A3

338A86

The casing heads say 86 at the 12 o'clock position and 13 at the 6 o'clock position. Thats all the markings that I have. Does this sound like the same stuff? I assume that this stuff work work better in a M16 chambered for 5.56. If not, I can't imagine actually using it in a combat zone :shock:

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Sounds like a SA battle pack to me. Eeet's Craaappp!

Do you notice any slight discoloration of the cardboard boxes... almost like they got wet? Mine had this... and since it was sealed in a waterproof container... the only thing this can mean is powder break down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've only taken the first two boxes out of the bag, but I didn't really notice a discoloration. I can handle it being crappy I guess for just plinking around. Does anyone know if this brass is any good for reloading? My uncle has the tools to deal with the crimped primer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re:

NastyNate said:
Does anyone know if this brass is any good for reloading? My uncle has the tools to deal with the crimped primer.
Same here...sounds like the crappy SA stuff, carboard boxes that tapper down...

Considering the weakness of this junk IMHO I would avoid re-loading it at all cost! I feel happy I only bought 1 pack to try it out from the last gun show. I was going to pick up 5 packs! :x The stuff I have is from 1989 BTW.

Now I am just blast'n through it as I blow apart and launch water jugs. As I am doing this I keep my cleaning rod handy. ;) I do not plan to buy this stuff again! For sight/scope work I have been pick'n up the cheap whinchester white box 40rd packs from wallymart. NOT 1 ISSUE with this stuff yet.

Check out this link:

http://www.aaconsult.com/ammoreview/html/_223_reviews.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts