Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the debates (on various boards) over the financial troubles of the NRA, I decided to put my money where my mouth is. Instead of using money saved up to buy the next gun, I just used that money to become an NRA Life Member.

I believe that if the NRA goes belly-up, then we are all in serious trouble. We'll lose our 2A rights quicker than we'd be willing to believe. :x

I'm going to try and talk my brother into joining the NRA too.

Comments?

·
Registered
394 Posts
OH NO! Tell me you didn't fall for the "I'm broke, can you help me out?" story. As a life member (when it cost way less), I believe the NRA today is more of a 'for profit' business than a 2ndA lobby. They have drastically changed in the last 15 years. I've contributed a small fortune (enough to buy a used car) over the last 15 years. They're like having a bad boss. The more you do, the more they ask you to do. Check out their receivables. Only our federal government is more impressive at squandering money. I've indicated to them that I will no longer contribute, but they continue to invoke the 'guilt trip' and waste money sending me solicitations. Not another dollar until there is "regime" change at the NRA.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Good Move! Life Membership is pretty much a NECESSARY commitment.
Yep, it's expensive. However, our rights are priceless.
It doesn't matter WHO'S running things at the NRA, or if they mishandle our money...
They're all we've got, and we've got to support them.
Empirically, as a gun owner, it's not a question at all. You've GOT to support the NRA.
Flyer

·
Registered
394 Posts
Re:

"It doesn't matter WHO'S running things at the NRA, or if they mishandle our money..."

Sorry my friend. I can't go there for anyone. Not even the NRA. I'll spend mine elsewhere. :roll:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hang together

I am looking at results. Shall-issue CCW legislation in the last 15 years has really taken off across the states. The NRA has helped many of these along. The current battle in the Missouri Supreme Court over MO CCW is one of the latest in which NRA-ILA has helped. I read through the court briefs submitted to the MO SC, including the one filed by the NRA-ILA, which was clear, compelling and effective and I was very impressed.

The NRA is also pushing hard to get passage of some critical bills before Congress, including S.659 Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

I recently wrote to NRA President Kayne Robinson to express my concern over the upcoming fight on a potential renewal of the AWB next year. I urged him to have the NRA take a very strong stand on sunsetting the AWB. I received a prompt reply mail. It was clear and unambiguous. It contained excellent information that encouraged me. Here is an excerpt:

Let me assure you, NRA is doing everything possible to ensure that the ban expires on September 13, 2004 as Congress originally intended.

We oppose any and all versions of re-authorization with the same tenacity with which we fought when the legislation squeaked through Congress in 1994. We oppose re-authorization as strongly as we fought for repeal of the ban by the U.S. House of Representatives in 1996.

Look, we gun enthusiasts can work together, or we can tear ourselves apart. If we don't work together, we will be in a world of hurt, just like Great Britain and Australia. Don't think it can't happen!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think the NRA has been wastefully off track for years preachin' to the choir.

Gun people are usually rubber stamp republicans which means all the republicans have to do is pay lip service. I know this because I have been in another group of rubber stamp republicans who only get paid lip service and/or sold down the river.

NRA should do something smart and they have the opportunity if they'd withdraw their head from...where sky no shine.

They should concentrate on pro gun democrats in the primaries. Democrats need to give dearly to pick up southern support for the presidency and if we were smart, we'd go for it. If the most liberal dems are defeated in the primaries by pro gun dems, we would have a real choice to make. And the repubicans would have to do something for continued support besides lip service. Remember during the cold war how smart countries would play east against west and get aid from both? Same principal.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
It's really pretty simple. Just think about it for a second, leaving ALL other issues such as mismanagement aside:
If it weren't for the NRA we wouldn't be here talking about our Kel-Tecs. There wouldn't BE any. There would be no KTRange.
We'd be arguing in some OTHER forum about when Al Bore actually invented the Internet... exact date of mental conception, first online sale, etc..
I suggest anyone that thinks otherwise wake up, fast.
Flyer

G

·
Re:

wildames said:
I've indicated to them that I will no longer contribute, but they continue to invoke the 'guilt trip' and waste money sending me solicitations. Not another dollar until there is "regime" change at the NRA.
You can have the NRA remove you from the mailing list and you won't get any mail except for news and info on misc. law changes etc.
I had them take me off the list several years ago. Another thing you can do also is just throw the stuff in the garbage if you don't want to read it.
The NRA is the only gun assoc. that has any pull in DC so the way I see it, it's the only game in town and if we don't support them we might as well invest in tea pots herbal tea and prepare to sit around and talk about the good old days when we used to be able to own guns the way the British do now a days. But at least the British streets are safe now that they got those terrible guns out of the hands of the common folks. :roll:

Rook

·
Registered
192 Posts
Are you better off losing your gun to gun control or having to sell them because your job went offshore?

The point is you are just as screwed and neither party nor the NRA is doing anything terribly significant about it.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Okay, the point of this thread was made, and discussed.
The NRA is our most powerful friend...
Without it we'd all be screwed.
Flyer

·
Registered
66 Posts
I actually just joined the NRA This past year and I didn't know about their money problems. I think if we have the bucks to buy quality firearms, its not that much to ask to give a few more bucks to an organization who will stand behind us to keep them. I sure don't want anyone taking my guns or assalt rifles for that matter.

Can someone help me confirm this but, Isn't it true in some countries over seas, like England or France you can't even own a gun? Think if we had to live like that. I sure wouldn't like it much.

I think sometimes we take things for granted and forget what a privlage it is to own and carry a firearm. At least there is the NRA who can goto bat for us in times of need. But if not them where else do we turn for support?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
NRA

the nra is the only significant voice that pols pay attention to. without the nra we'd have to form a hot stove league to argue the merits of guns all year round because there would be no off season. i have all my children signed up as associate members for only 10.00 each.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good for you Jeff. I've been a lifer for years now and my wife just became a life member about 2 months ago. The NRA may not be perfoect but I believe they are still the best game in town. Congratulations! :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re:

Rook Monday said:
Buck said:
Are you better off losing your gun to gun control or having to sell them because your job went offshore?
:? What's jobs got to do with the NRA :?:

Rook
Not in the sense that Buck intended, but the NRA is pushing hard for the passage of S. 659: "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act", which will protect the firearms industry from predatory junk lawsuits. I'd say that has to do with a lot of jobs being saved! Not to mention our ability to continue to buy guns at reasonable prices. Do you think that Kel-Tec would stay in business if it got hit by one of these immoral lawsuits?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re:

Rook Monday said:
Buck said:
:? What's jobs got to do with the NRA :?:

Rook
The Republican party is bought and paid for by big company execs (Microsoft getting let of the antitrust hook is one example). The NRA is a Republican rubberstamp. Not having a job because the big companies can pay someone on the other side of the planet a fraction of what it takes in the USA has a lot to do with whether you can afford to keep your guns, or buy new ones.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Buck,
I don't think the Republican party is bought and paid for, but that's my opinion.
However, the NRA is NOT a "rubberstamp" for Republicans. It endorses the candidate who's view of the Second Amendment is positive and who has the greatest likelihood of winning the election, regardless of party.
I've seen the NRA endorse quite a few Democrats.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Buck,
I don't think the Republican party is bought and paid for, but that's my opinion.
However, the NRA is NOT a "rubberstamp" for Republicans. It endorses the candidate who's view of the Second Amendment is positive and who has the greatest likelihood of winning the election, regardless of party.
I've seen the NRA endorse quite a few Democrats.
Witness their rating of Democratic Presidential candidate Dean. It doesn't get any higher than that.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Many people, when faced with voting for a candidate of the opposite party because the NRA highly rates them, will choose not to vote at all. So much for single issue voters.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts