Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience [pro or con] with the Uncle Mike's #1 pocket holster mentioned in the July 04 American Rifleman P3AT article ?
Also, When did Kel-Tec start putting out orange dot sights ? I though there was only white..

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I never saw the article, but lots of folks use the Uncle Mike's holster. It's a good quality, inexpensive one that works quite well.
Also, if the sights were orange, I guess that means the one they tested was a chrome one. Chrome models have orange sights, blued and parkerized, white ones.
Flyer

·
Registered
274 Posts
My P-32 came with a UM #1 and it seems to do the job. When I have the gun in my front pocket, it breaks up the outline enough to not shout "GUN!" I can still make it out, but I know it's there. Since I can't carry outside the house, it's "good enough". If I was carrying full time, I think I'd use a leather holster with an anti-print panel.

So far, the UPS guy and the mail guy haven't freaked when I answer the door with my gun in my pocket.

CA

·
Registered
207 Posts
......food for thought

I have a Uncle Mike holster, I use it to show the differences in a $12 holster and a $40 holster, four years later. :)

Are worth what you pay for them? [Either holster]
In six years, I have never heard of one of mine being worn out.

Divide 6 into $40.......

G

·
My UM #1 has lived through continuous carry with a P32 and now my P3AT. I made the modification to add the additional magazine and it works great. Is it as nice as a Hedley holster, NO....but unless he's going to donate one for the cause 12.00 is all that the P3AT can get out of me right now.....It works fine in both suit pants, khaki's and shorts (i'm not much of a jeans wearer). It's going on 2 years now......time will tell...

just my .02 worth...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've recently switched away from the Uncle Mike's....

Not because I don't like it but because it requires modifying for the P-3AT or P32 to fit properly. Not so the DeSantis Nemesis. The Nemesis fits the P-3AT like it was custom designed for it.

So, where's my Uncle Mike's size one?? It is now the primary holster for my NAA .22 mag mini-revolver with the aftermarket larger rubber boot grips. Those two fit together beautifully so everyone's happy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the all info and advice.
I did pick up a UM #1 pocket holster and just finished modifying it per http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/unclemikes.htm to accept a spare magazine. The P3AT appeared too big initially to fit the UM #1 but after removing a couple stitches it fit really nice. For the $10.30 out the door cost for the UM #1 I sure can't complain. Although it may not last a lifetime I think it will serve my purpose for many years.....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Re: I've recently switched away from the Uncle Mike's....

twentytwolover said:
Not because I don't like it but because it requires modifying for the P-3AT or P32 to fit properly. Not so the DeSantis Nemesis. The Nemesis fits the P-3AT like it was custom designed for it.
My Nemesis has little to no retention. I'm not sure it's that much of a problem really, but I like the feel of a better/tighter fit when handling the package outside of my pocket.

I have let my wife know that a Hedley KT AT-F/DX would be a great anniversary present... Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
65 Posts
UM Holster

I bought the UM holster and did the extra mag mod.
The extra weight of another mag makes it too heavy and access for the second mag is bad as it should be on the left side. The P3AT is a little wobbly in the UM and the slide top is at the extreme front of the pocket giving a bigger outline than necessary.
I dont want to buy half a dozen types to find one that suits me.
One manufacturer makes a pocket holster that centers the gun
in the width of the holster (and the pocket)and gives it a forward cant. This seems most appealing. However, I'm not anxious to add 1/4", or two thicknesses of heavy leather to the P3AT so the UM will have to do until there's a consensus on the best holster.
Incidentally, the UM#1 works well for the lightweight Chiefs' Special.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I used to make my own holsters, and naturally I thought they were the best.
I was wrong.
R.J. Hedley, in my opinion, is far and away the best pocket holster maker, providing fit and finish it's difficult to believe. His holsters, in fact, are so nice you hesitate to put your pistol in them for fear of scratching the leather!
Also, they're MUCH thinner and more comfortable than the nylon varieties.
Flyer

·
Registered
65 Posts
UM

Yeah, Flyer, those double windsocks can be distracting on a crosswind landing. But then a grass field is forgiving. I'm jealous of both.
I think I'll break down and get a Hedley Special.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts