Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an interesting article on page 101 of the September American Rifleman about Tripp Research's Cobramags for the 1911. The symptoms discussed in the article sound exactly like what we see with the P-3AT, including smileys and flat nose FTFs. I haven't done much research on the company yet, but it would be great if they would apply some of their lessons learned to a P-3AT mag.

-- Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Followup

Just to follow up on my last post, I e-mailed Tripp Research regarding the P-3AT, and I'll post their response when I receive it.

-- Steve

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
That's kind of strange a 1911 would mangle a follower like that.
The 1911's feedramp is built into the frame of the pistol; the barrel doesn't even come close to the magazine follower.
Strange...
Flyer

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
By the way, moultons, you won a T-Shirt in the Postal Match; haven't you checked the scores?
Shoot Midi a PM with your size preference so we can get it out to you!
Congrats!
Flyer

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oops!

I received an e-mail from Virgil Tripp at Tripp Engineering, but I forgot :( to post it. Anyway, here it is:

"Steve, I haven't looked at the Kel-Tec for feeding issues and had not really thought about branching out. A pistolsmith would try to adjust the feed lips to hold the round higher. Then he would look to see if that created any new problems in that design. Then he would polish the feed ramp and breech face and adjust the extractor.

This might get one example of the design cruising but I don't think I would ever make mags for it. I know a pistolsmith who is good at getting anything to feed. Let me know and I'll check with him to see if he is interested.
Regards, Virgil"

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
My understanding of the mechanism of a smiley is from the feedramp of the barrel coming into contact with the next round in the magazine during recoil and extraction/ejection of the fired round.

I don't see how a change in the magazine of the P-3AT will offer any help here. The "smiley mod" to the feedramp has already been proven to work. My thoughts would be for KT to incorporate changes to the feedramp at the factory as a long term solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.