Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing some money to get my new Springfield M1-A1 SOCOM 16. The only guns that I have that I would consider movable are my SU-16 and a Universal M-1 carbine. I could sell them both or maybe just one. I bought the carbine to make money, and the SU-16 because of the "coolness factor". I have several AR-15 rifles that I am quite attached to, but I am not necessarily attached to the SU-16. What to do????? :?: :?:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to sell it, not give it away! Don't you wish it was that easy though? 8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I posted here hoping someone might try to talk me out of selling the rifle, not encourage me to sell it. Don't jump the gun!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Well...
What if I told you I thought your SU-16 was a superior rifle to the Springfield M-1A?
The M-1A M-14 afficiandos are certainly out there, and there's no denying the ruggedness and potential accuracy (POTENTIAL!) of the rifle.
For me, that's the end of the rifle's positives.
In the end it's a big, heavy, overengineered, clunky, MIM parts dependent, M-1 Garand "sporterized" to use detachable magazines.
In the end you might, if you're lucky, end up with a rifle that's almost as good as an AR-15, if you're willing to fork out another $1500 in upgrades.
For cryin' out loud, if you want the .308 cartridge get a Bushmaster AR-10, or even an Armalite AR-10.
There... that enough to talk ya out of it?
Flyer

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'd agree with Flyer, IMO the M1A is a real piece of junk (I hate to say it but I think most of the stuff coming out of springfield armory today falls into that category)
My friend has a newer springfield M1A, its inaccurate as hell for what he paid for it, and hes acutally thinking of selling it

If you do sell your SU 16, let me know and I might decide to give you some paper in return for your generosity (ive been looking at these lately instead of the sub2k's, its a real hard decision when you can only have one!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Selling SU-16?

I too have to agree with Flyer. Your Su-16 is definitely a superior rifle than a Springfield M1-A. A friend of mine has one and is always complaining about the lackluster accuracy. He shot my Su-16 and like me fell in love with it. He went out and bought one!! Keep your Su-16, take it out and shoot it. Break it in. I think you will be pleased by the performance you get out of this little rifle. I am posting a picture of a target I shot with the SU-16 using the bipod from a bench rest at 100 yards, using the factory open sights. (Sorry about the coffee stains!!! spilled it in my truck on the way home from the range!) 21 rounds fired in 3 shot groups. (Public Range in PA has limit of 3 rounds in rifle at a time.)

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Ghost 1,
VERY nice group! Looks like you're in the 2 inch range, there. Great shooting without a scope.
Flyer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Su-16 taget and group

Thanks Flyer,
I shold also note that I let the rifle cool down between 3 shot groups, and I was not using facory ammo. These were home loads using 25.2 grains of Winchester 748 powder, cci small rifle primers, Winchester once fired brass, ( Full length sized) and Winchester 55 grain full metal jacket boat tail bullets. I developed this load for my DPMS AR-15. This load actually performs better in my SU-16!!! I plan on returning to the range this week with some factory white box Winchesters I got at Walmart, and some Olympic arms stock as well. Midiman shot me a post where I can find a real good adjustable rear aperature sight from Bushmaster. I ordered one and can't wait to see what this rifle will do with a finer rear sight. I'll post my results. Hopefully I can get even better groups!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Don't listen to there guys. I think you should sell the SU16.....Cheap.....To me... :roll:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I did. I sold it over on AR15.com. It sold within a hour of posting it and an Universal M1 carbine. I have the SOCOM 16 and I wouldn't change a thing. It is on the extreme end of awesome. That rifle shoots great! I am saving up to buy it a new Aimpoint. It has a used one on it now, but the finish sucks. I have a friend that can get me one of those stocks that are being devloped at Crane Naval base here in IN.. I can put it on there once the ban sunsets. Collapsable buttstock......pistolgrip.........railed forearm it is the stuff a gunman's dreams are made of!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts