Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was originally looking at the G27, but I think I'm more interested in one in a larger caliber.

I went and handled the G30 and G36 some and dry fired them. I think I like the trigger. The G30 seems a bit thick to conceal, but it might work out well with the right holster.

The G36 seemed a bit narrow to be comfortable to shoot a lot.

I also have this strange urge to get the 10 mm G29. It's almost the same size as the G30, just a little shorter grip. However, the cost of 10 mm ammo would be pretty expensive until I got set up reloading.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The G-30 is my favorite Glock.
It's true that its thicker through the grip than the G-36... but that added thickness makes it more comfortable to shoot.
Also, the grip, while the full diameter of the G-21, is so much shorter that your lower fingers can curl around the bottom of the mag, making it just as comfortable in the hand as a normal Glock frame.
Also, there's another thing about the G-30: it's accuracy. It's probably THE most accurate Glock there is.
Why?
Well, the slide is THICK, and SHORT... in essence you've got one heck of a heavy-duty steel box locking up to the barrel! This actually makes the slide more rigid and vibrate less than the full-sized versions. Accuracy is enhanced as a result.
Plus.. the .45 ACP is just plain an accurate cartridge in most anything!
Flyer

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm with Flyer, I like evey Glock I have ever shot. But I'm a huge fan of the G30.

It conceals fine, and is accurate, reliable and Glock durable. Plus its a .45 acp ...nuff said.

I am however one of the weird ducks that likes my G30 much better with the optional 9 rd magazine. It makes you shoot with yer pinky finger under the mag bottom, but it knocks off 1/2" from the grip and shoots just as accurate for me.

If I could own only one glock it would be the G30. or the G20 in 10mm...then theres my favorite G19..

Get a G30!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re:

J.D. Locke said:
Check out the G32/33...lots of punch to the .357 sig
Now why would you go and do something like that, when you could spend a whole heap less money and get a Kel-Tec P40 and a .357Sig barrel, or a P11 and a P357Sig conversion kit? Better yet, get a P11, and a .40 and .357 top end and have *three* calibers in *one* gun! You could probably get all three for the same or less than it costs to get a G32 or 33! Besides -- .357Sig has it's positive points, but I'll have to agree with Flyer and others here that .45 is one of the most accurate calibers out there. Without fail, I *always* shoot my best groups with my Springfield Ultra Compact 1911. ALWAYS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have shot most of the Glocks people consider carry peices. The .45's (G30 and G36) were, by far, the most accurate of them all. I carry a G19 daily as an on duty BUG nad really like it and a G27 as a BUG to my BUG off duty.

But the G30 is like the ultimate... accurate, in a good proven caliber, easily concealed and it carries 10+1 of .45 ACP. what else could you want!!!! :wink:

Once I find my way of making millions of dollars, I will have a G30 of my own!!! Very nice peice.

Grey Wolf

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The new range I just joined doesn't allow relaods, so that makes a 10 mm too expensive for me. Maybe they'll relax the no reloads rule after they've been open a while, but for now I think the G27 or G30 would suit me better.

There's a range that's about an hour drive away that has both as range rental guns. Guess I need to go visit.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
flatrock,

What's their reasoning behind it? Is it a lead-free range, or are they concerned about hot loads? If you put your reloads in the same factory box over and over again, will they know? Have we reached a level where ammo is inspected?? I'm thinking it is so they can sell you factory ammo at inflated prices...

·
Registered
321 Posts
i carry a g23 as my primary ccw, except when i want to get fancy-- then i'll carry my Kimber in a Merinkle hi-ride holster with a matching belt--this is a strictly winter mode of carry. My glock shoots best with sxt 180gr, but feeds just about any kind of ammo i put through it. i cant even make it jam by holding it upside down, limp- wristing it, or mixing ammo in the mag. I dont know how many people agree with me, but compact-framed glocks look just about right--very buisnesslike and modern. It really doesn't hold a candle to a ser 70 colt 1911 in the looks department, but not a bad modern design. I think my nick says it all- i am a fan of polymer handguns, especally my 23!
oh yeah, check out this site for holsters- i think kydex matches the buisnesslike appearance of the Glock; be sure to check out the Pro Undercover-- its my favorite.

http://comp-tac.com

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re:

flyandscuba said:
flatrock,

What's their reasoning behind it? Is it a lead-free range, or are they concerned about hot loads? If you put your reloads in the same factory box over and over again, will they know? Have we reached a level where ammo is inspected?? I'm thinking it is so they can sell you factory ammo at inflated prices...
They say they are concerned about their backstop. It doesn't make a lot of sense since their range was installed by Range Systems, which I think is supposed to handle round up to .223. I have a hard time thinking that many hot handgun rounds are going to penetrate more than a .223, but I guess I don't really know a lot about the subject.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ummm... FN's Five-Seven will undoubtedly be problematic. Some of the super-exotic wildcat calibers could pose problems. You'd be surprised by the amount of calibers that can cause real problems for indoor ranges.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife wants me to wait to make any large purchases like new guns until after our house sells. :(

I hate being fiscally responsible. :evil:

So since I can't buy a new Glock 30 yet, I just ordered a Comp-Tac C-TAC holster for it.

I've never been good at saving money. I just can't resist urges to spend it. The best I seem to be able to do is buy less expensive toys.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just brought home my new G30 from the gun show.

I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet. I'll probably detail strip it later tonight just to famialiarize myself with it a bit.

I'm going to have to find a cheap source of ammo, or take up reloading soon. 45 ACP is expensive when you're used to buying 9 mm and 9x18 ammo.

I also need to pick what type of ammo I'll use for carry ammo. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
flatrock,
You get it at Bill Goodman's show?
We probably saw each other there but didn't know it!
I like Federal Hydra-Shok 230 gr. in mine. Very accurate, and the best stopping power stats in .45.
Flyer

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's where I got it! I wasn't going to go. I was going to wait a while longer to get it, but I just couldn't resist.

I almost picked up a box of the federal hydrashocks. They had them in a box of 50 for $24 which seemed like a good deal, but I fugured Walmart carries Federal too, so it might be cheaper there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I put 100 rounds of winchester white box through my new G30. The recoil was surprisingly light. No malfunctions. It is taking a lot of effort not to anticipate the loud bang and flinch a bit, but when I keep my eye on the front sight through the trigger pull, it's very accurate.

I just need to practice more.

After going to two Walmarts I found a box of 20 federal hydrashocks. It wasn't until after I got out of the store that I checked the bullet wait and found that they are only 165 gr.

Might make a good home defense round once I move into my condo since I wouldn't want to shoot through walls into the neighbor's place if I have to use my gun.

Anyone have any idea on how bullets penetrate wallboard, and the green firewall stuff that looks like wallboard to me as well?

G

·
probably with ease if you are fairly close. they should make good SD rounds though as the Glock 30 has a shorter barrel and should probably have a lighter weight bullet.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
One thing to remember about a Glock...
It's got polygonal rifling. So, even with a shorter barrel, it's likely to retain more velocity than other pistols with equivalent barrel lengths.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

flatrock said:
Anyone have any idea on how bullets penetrate wallboard, and the green firewall stuff that looks like wallboard to me as well?
I put a 230gr FMJ thru the center of a telephone pole. Straight, near .5" hole in and out... wallboard? Pfft. Worry about the wallboard in the the guy's house who live NEXT to your neighbor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts