Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The \"Old Coots\" Are At It Again

byron and I decided to do a wetpack test with Russian ammo for the 9x18 Makarov. byron provided the Barnaul 95gr HP from the JSC Barnaul Machine-Tool Plant which I could not obtain without buying a brick. I already had the LVE 115gr Brown Bear HP from the Novosibirsk Low-Voltage Equipment Plant Plc that I used in the preliminary test. We compared these with Hornady's 95gr JHP and also fired a few rounds of FMJ from Barnaul and Federal. Previously, the only good data on 9x18 ammo was by Goldenloki and some limited work by Stephen Camp. But, as mentioned in my prelim test report, Stephen let the water drain out of his wetpack. We always wet ours down at the range before firing so it is sloppy wet. Only other available 9x18 data was in a book listing one data point in gelatin with mainly USA ammo. You can't draw a statistic with only 1 data point so we discounted that data. That's just one of the big disadvantges with gelatin.
Our results shown below held a surprise with the Barnaul HP ammo as all rounds separated from the jacket at 5" and the lead slug continued to penetrate without expansion. The Brown Bear ammo was again the best performer but the Hornady also gave good results. All ammo fired without any problem in the Bulgarian Makarov used for the tests.

Note our picture shows the Barnaul FMJ round instead of the HP. Both look alike with the same color case and bullet. With ammo everywhere, I didn't notice that when I made the photo and just grabbed the closest box, which also looks the same. It's also very easy to verify the Hornady ammo 'cause the Russian ammo is all steel cases and steel jackets. I just use a small pocket magnet to check. The Hornady is all brass and copper jackets and non-magnetic. Just in case you wondered.
Best wishes, from,
og and byron..........note to readers, please don't post the picture on any other site, just the url.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
9x18 tests

aaaaaargh, i've got 750 rnds of that barnaul hp left! :cry:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
9x18

interesting side note, win valu pak gets better penetration out of the p3at than either the fed or bar fmj out of the mak. maybe more blunt force trauma because of the flat meplat of the valu pak. 10.5"/p3at vs 9"/mak.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Another great job!
I've got to admit, I'm really curious now how well the Silver Bear 120 gr. Mak ammo works. As far as I know this is the heaviest bullet weight available, but I have yet to fire any of it...
Anyhow, that's some pretty impressive performance from the Russian ammo... I'm a bit surprised they expanded that consistently. Still, they've been making the ammo for a LONG time, so what do I know? :roll:
Flyer

G

·
OG and Byron, you guys are famous. I found this over on the Makarov forum; http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=60273

I have considered picking up a Makarov. There are plenty of Bulgarian ones here for around 150.00. I am just not sure in the few times that I have messed with them if I would ever warm up to the decocker that appears to operate backwards of conventional ones or the unusually long trigger. I know that they are loads of fun and econimical to shoot (as so many have posted), I guess that I am on the fence as to what to do. I think that the novelty of the gun would wear fast and it would just be another safe queen. I do like the double stack one but they are rare and usually command a higher price. I have to admit that I have never put any round downrange through one. Maybe that would change my mind.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why get a Mak?

norf,
If the perfect gun was based on price first, reliabilty second, IMO the Makarov would win. If you see a Bulgarian Mak with the blueing intact and traces of cosmoline still in the works, it is probably unfired like the one I got. First two numbers of serial number are the year code, mine has 27 which is 1987 mfg. date. Mine cost $169 which is about average for a good one.
I like it mainly just for some shooting at the range, and like byron pointed out, the P3AT has equal or better penetration with plain ammo. If I needed it for self defense I would have full confidence in it using the Brown Bear ammo. It's the only pistol that fires the steel cased steel jacketed Russian ammo reliably. I wouldn't consider steel ammo in any other pistol.
I've heard that the Silver Bear ammo is too hot and really bangs the slide so I will not try any of it. Probably have to use a heavier spring for that.
In my little collection of foreign guns now there are Italian, Austrian, Brazil, Argentina, and the Russian (Bulgaria) Mak. You've got to have at least one Russian designed pistol.

Also, thanks for that link. Nobody there flamed the wetpack. I think it might be catching on as a reliable HP test.
Cheers,
og

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brown Bear

plastic......
that makes 2 tests I've done with the Brown Bear ammo with good results. It comes in a 50 round box for less cost than a 20 round box of some USA stuff and it also seems to be available at many dealers around this area. If you can find some I don't think you need to look any further for carry ammo in your Makarov.
Cheers,
og

1 - 9 of 9 Posts