Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, I heard the news...
Thankfully, it was Laurie Dhue on Fox that told me!
I dunno. I send the NRA money all the danged time... and every time I do, it seems to be a signal for another call for a "pledge".
Whoever's managing their budget needs firing.
I'm a Life Member, so I don't have to pay dues, and I don't mind sending donations now and then.
Still... a call every other day for a hundred bucks seems a little excessive!!!
It's the NRA, though, so I guess we'd better start passing the hat around...
Flyer

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think all members should email them advise on how they should manage their money. I am an avid supporter but they could save millions on postage and phone calls alone.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You know, it's a shame. Seems the American way is to build something up so big that it collapses on itself. The management needs a complete overhaul, bar none. Frankly, they have made my butt hurt for some time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
NRA lack of class

I was expecially upset when I got the one that looked like a Publishers Clearing House flyer. Put a this sticker here, put that sticker there, choose your prizes, send more money. Seems like I get more of these things than my boss. Maybe because I've actually donated when I can afford to. (Boss is divorced so he can't afford to.)
By the way has anyone ever seen the financials on this organization. Some charities spend 90% on administration and money raising. The Salvation Army spends about 3%. Kim

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Salvation Army

I wish our Govt. could follow their lead !!!

RJ=

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's a real delimma. The fundraising stuff is a real pain but I truely believe that without the NRA none of us would own any type of firearm.

I send them money and I also support the Texas State Rifle Association. The TSRA spends most of it's money lobbying the state government. Dues are $20 yr and I think that's the best money a Texas gun owner can spend.

BTW Kimdo - I think that 3% fundraising cost attributed to the Salvation Army might be an internet legend. The SA is a church, not a non-profit charity. Their headquarters is in England and apparently financial records are kept there and not made public. I was a United Way volunteer and when one local company asked for the SA's audit, they (we) were told that the financials were not public info. Too bad. They do great work and I'm sure are totally honest and spend money wisely.

BIGIRON

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm on the Friends of the NRA Committee here in Fort Myers and thru that fundraising effort I'm on a first name basis with the Florida Field Rep for the NRA. On a number of occasions he's said the number one complaint he hears is all the "tin-cupping" (begging for donations.)

He said the NRA knows it's a source of irritation, but that it works. They do not expect you to send money all the time, however they've found if you aren't reminded, then it's unlikely you'll send in anything, ever. Personally I send something in perhaps once a year, the other 25 requests go in the circular file.

OBTW if you've never attended a Friends of the NRA Dinner, then you owe it to yourself to go to one. If you don't have disposable income, leave the checkbook and credit cards at home. It's fun just to sit back and watch the others spend their money if you can't spend you're own.

Allan

·
Registered
109 Posts
Midiman said:
...and operating at a $100,000,000 deficit. Gee, maybe if they didn't send out 24 renewal notices per year to every member starting 2 weeks after their membership begins.
Yeah!!
Kinda like AOL!!!
They're broke too!!
Guess what I just got in my mailbox?? You guessed it!! Two months "free"!!!
Another target I say!!

G

·
In the same reports it was also stated that the reason for most of the "debt" was accounting rules that showed long term obligations to members as debits.

Neil Knox is not the person I listen to when I want information about the NRA. He is a 2nd Amendment activist of the first order. I admire him for that. He is also clearly disgruntled and agenda driven when it comes to the NRA.

I don't like everything about the NRA. I do like my guns and shooting. Maybe someday a better advocacy group will come along. Until then, the NRA gets my money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got another solicitation for money from the NRA in my mail. As always, the envelope itself had harsh, scary looking warnings on it. "They call you a terrorist, they call you a criminal, they want to take every one of your guns" or something like that. I suppose this is supposed to scare me. The fact is, they are absolutely right, anti-gun activists do call gun owners all those things, and they do want to take all my guns. Is it right? No. Do I care? Yes. Indeed, I care enough that, despite being a ridiculously poor graduate student, I've given them around 200 bucks this year. I know that's not much in the over all scheme of things, but it is quite a bit from me. Hell, I could've used that money toward a P-3AT :D . Instead of a "Thanks for your effort" or something, all my giving seems to do is encourage them to continue to try to scare me. The problem is that, while all those scary things are true, they are not new. Last year the gun grabbers wanted to take all my guns. So too 30 years ago, and long before that. Meanwhile, the NRA apparently is havinmg financial problems. Here's my advice to the NRA: instead of treating your membership like ignorant sheep and trying to scare them into giving you money, why don't you send out a letter saying something along the lines of "We have done the following good things for gun rights [list things]. We are currently having some financial difficulties. If you can, please send us some money to help. We ask this becasue we think we are doing you a good service in fighting for your gun rights."

I like the NRA, and I will continue to support them. While they are by no means perfect, they at least have enough power to do some good. However, I am really tired of fund-raising efforts that are not just annoying becasue they involve unsolicited mail, but are insulting to my intelligence. Unfortunately, like in pretty much everything else, my opinion matters to absolutely noone.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
My main gripe, I guess, is the attitude of their phone reps.
Every time they call I'm treated to a twenty-minute lecture on the latest anti-gun legislature that's sprung up in Congress as if it were all new to me and I was a totally green newbie.
Then they'll break their tirade with a question:
"Do you agree that criminals will get guns regardless of whether this Bill becomes Law?"
Well, of course! There's only one answer... "Yes!"
That's it! Trap sprung; you're nailed.
AAarrrgghh!!!
Flyer

·
Registered
192 Posts
Rent Bowling for Columbine. Forget everything you've heard. Yes its full of things you will disagree with but two surprises came out of it for me:

1) It's not pure anti-gun rhetoric. As a matter of fact the film explodes many myths about gun crime and gun ownership including:
"The reason there is more gun crime in America than any other country is because there are more guns". He did a better job debunking that myth than the NRA.
"The reason there is more gun crime in America than any other country is because America has a violent history".

2) The NRA has been shooting itself in the foot for years, no pun intended, and comes across as a bunch of jackasses to mainstream America (which is not inaccurate if you judge by its leadership). This undermines the cause.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts