Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The \"Lost\" .45acp JHP data reposted!

Reposting my hollowpoint expansion data for the .45acp JHP that was lost when the site did the 'hiccup' today. :lol:
This first post is the chart and first picture. Next post is the side view of the bullets. I'll take comments, flames, all!!
og

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Side view of .45 JHP bullets

The side view.......

Murray, will you please repost the URL for the article you showed.

og

·
Registered
83 Posts
OG:
Is the ogive of the 230gr Golden Saber more similar to ball than some other JHP? The Winchester USA45JHP seems "round nosed" like. Please compare the two rounds if you can. What 230gr JHP, in your opinion, has an ogive most like FMJ?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Saved it!!

Thanks, Murray,
saved the url this time. articles like that are hard to find. not much of anybody, the big labs like ammolab or firearmstactical reporting any testing. most data is several years old now.
hope you get to do some expansion tests with your new 45.

As I said before the site hicuped and we lost the thread, I was amazed at how close to the same expansion both my test and the report in your article were. I only reported the range of expansion for the 4 rounds in the chart above. If I show all 4 expansions for the Winchester with the SA 1911 and throw out the low reading of .674", the remaining 3 rounds are .722, .702, .714 and average out to .713, nearly the same as the .716" in the article.
So, wet newpapers, if done right, appear to be a real good way to evaluate JHP in your own pistol.
og

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I thought I'd tempt fate and post on this thread again since I was the last one to post before the board went down. Here goes..........

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
83 Posts
OG:
I believe you have been a fan of the Winchester USA JHP ammo for some time. Didn't we have a conversation some time ago regarding our use of USA9JHP?

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I've got an ammo box under my desk here with 1000 rounds of USA9JHP. Used to be I could never leave Wally World without a box of JHP and a box of 9mm Value. Hard habit to break, but now I buy all my JHP online.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Ammoman mostly. Speer Gold Dot. http://www.ammoman.com

Also http://www.makarov.com not only sells 9X18, but 9X19, .32 ACP, .380, and .223. Flyer and I have both bought their PSGrand ammo and it rocks. Fast shipping too.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
.45 \"Ballistics\", whatever that is

Beautiful Saturday morning here, may get to go to the range for a little .22cal target practice. Anyway, thanks for all the replies and comments. Hope the site doesn't hicup again and we lose this thread again.

First, to answer Murray's interesting question. I'm looking here at Win JHP, Rem GS JHP, and a Speer FMJ, all 230gr. I'd have to say the GoldenSaber looks a little more like FMJ shape. The Win JHP tapers down faster and is shorter OAL. Here's some measurements....
FMJ, OAL 1.250"
Rem GS, 1.234" six petals cut deep yellow brass jacket
Win JHP, 1.203" eight petals shallow cut copper jacket

So the Golden Saber being longer will probably chamber a little easier, maybe you better do your own test. Note the difference in the petal design too.
The only .45 JHP ammo I ever had trouble with was several years ago I had a Ruger P90 and Federal HydraShok would FTF in it at times with the nose of the round hanging on the bottom of the feed ramp. :shock: (Bad news in a gun fight!!) The Fed rounds were only 1.195" OAL. So I won't even buy and test HydraShok in .45acp. It seems to work OK in other calibers for me but not 45. That's just me. I traded the P90 (couldn't hit the side of a barn with it). The HS would probably do fine in the 45 pistols I have now, just not willing to find out. :)

And on ammo choices in general, I like what Winchester is doing right now. Seems they are upgrading their offerings to better compete. And using WalMart as a major retailer. In their .22LR line they have just upgraded their value pack to a new box labeled Dynapoints, 40gr HP copperplated, $9.63 for a 500/box. Beats CCI which WalMart also sells. WM doesn't offer the highend special types like the Golden Saber or Gold Dots and still have to go to the inflated gunshops for that. The .45 GS I bought were $16 for a 25/box. Forget what the Win JHP was but it came in a 50/box, lots better deal.

CU all later,
og

1 - 13 of 13 Posts