Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The big Kahr \"Fluff and Buff\" recall

I and Colorado Fatboy have been watching the Kahr "Recall" on glocktalk and pistolsmith. Seems Kahr wants PM9 owners to send in their barrels, barrels only, for a "fix". What the reason is, is a big mystery, something about a "ridge" on the feed ramp causing FTF's. We can't see any such "ridge".
Well, Colorado and I have both already done a thorough polish job on our feed ramps before the so called recall ever started. We have no FTF problems with our PM9's. A few pictures posted on the other sites show what appears to be slightly rough finish on some owners' feed ramps that sure could cause FTF's.
Anyway, one guy showed pictures after he got his barrel back from Kahr and all we can tell is they did a "Fluff and Buff" job on it. He said he could tell no difference at the range.
So there you have it. Kahr is doing a Fluff and Buff for anyone that doesn't know how and has FTF complaints. CF and I are not sending our barrels in.
We already knew how. Been there done that.
Fun?
og

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Hmm... well, at least the "recall" doesn't apply to my Kahr, a K-9.
Wonder if the 'smiths at Kahr have their computers tuned to KTRange and are following the proper instructions?
I demand User Fees! They ain't a non-profit organization!!!
Flyer

G

·
OG, any chance that you could post some pics of the barrel? I have a PM9 and while I haven't had any problems with it, I have not shot it very much either. I think that I got through the 200 round break in without any problems and haven't shot or carried it since. Also, was there a S/N range that Kahr attributed to the recall. Might be that mine is out of the range and thus has not had any problems.

Regards

G

·
OG, I just checked the KAHR web site and they don't specify a recall anywhere (that I could find). Can you reference the source that it came from? I trust that coming from you that this is accurate but I would like to reference it for myself and then decide if my firearms needs to be checked out.

Thanks,

Norf...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
serial no.s

norf,
there's nothing on the Kahr site. Some dealers got letters from Kahr and notified a few customers. The subject then got on the Kahr forums at www.glocktalk.com and at www.pistolsmith.com
where you will find pictures posted. You don't have to register to read on those sites.
Best way to find out what's going on is read what's on those sites.
Just put the info here to let you know that two of us KTR's have been in contact with each other and found it is nothing more than a good KTR Fluff and Buff job.
If you have a dremel, use the pointed felt tip and polishing compound on your ramp.
Sounds like you may have to do nothing if you've had no problems so far.
The whole thing is blown out of proportion.
CU,
og

P.S. Sorry, almost forgot part of your question. Serial numbers were for all PM9's produced, all VAxxxx and all VBxxxx. Kinda silly that all would need the fix otherwise why hasn't there been a massive bunch of complaints todate? :?

G

·
OG, checked my S/N and it does fall within the recall range. I can't remember ever having the stated problems with mine although it has had mostly a diet if 115gr FMJ/Ball ammo. I will try to take it out this weekend and put some HP's through it. Thanks again for the heads up....

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More information!!

norf, and all,

I try not to post on glocktalk without a troll shield but I couldn't stand it and had to support Colorado Fatboy. So check out our posts on the 'recall'.......

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2862981#post2862981

norf, look for the excellent picture by Article2 in that thread and you can compare your barrel with it.

There's one troll on that thread and he posts at pistolsmith also with remarks implying anybody that doesn't send in their barrel is stupid. Trolls everywhere except KTR.

og

G

·
OG,

I read most of your and COFB's comments regarding the recall on THR and GT. I had to de-louse myself after that incident. I think that I am under the same thinking as my other superior KTRangers. My Kahr has been trouble free since I have had it. If it ain't broke than why fix it. If it does develop problems than I may send it to them. I dealt with them about a year and a half ago with a problematic P40. They were very pleasant to deal with and the turn around was within a week. I will wait and see what happens. Again, OG, thank you for the heads up. It is nice to have people like you watching our backs.....

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
What? Another gun that didn't come perfect from the factory? What a piece of crap... how could they do such a thing... they should have spent more time in R&D... I'll never trust another one of their products in my life. They should have spent a little more money and raised the price a little to make it reliable!!! Would YOU trust the lives of YOUR family to a POS like this???

Sound familiar? My guess is, it could be applied to any gun manufacturer at any time by the uninitiated.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it ain't broke...

Yes, midi, a year ago the Kahr stuff was actually a POS with lots of bugs and I decided then not to try one. Here we are a year later and the bugs are supposed to be fixed. And this so called "recall" is for ALL PM9's produced since day 1. Why a whole year to find out that a random glitch had occurred in their CNC machines. And as far as a few of us have figured out, it is random, not all PM9's are affected. But Kahr is not willing to say that and wants everybody to send in their barrels.
Well, nothing wrong with my barrel as far as I can tell. And I ain't sending it to some cluck to grind on. If it ever needs any grinding I'll analyze the problem myself and do it right. Like norf just said, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Of course, the old NASA saying was "fix it 'till it's broke" then fix it somemore.

But then, the posters at GT are some of most poorly informed gun owners I've seen.

og.........I ain't perfect but like to think almost. :roll: :lol: :shock: :wink:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
One thing...
I've got to admit, my K-9 is one of the best built and most comfortable pistols I've ever owned or shot.
Then again... it's not one of the super-small "mini" Kahrs, but is the size of a P-11. However, unlike most people, I LIKE the weight of an all-steel pistol. I know, I know... it's the 1911 guy in me coming out.
Still, this pistol has never malfunctioned.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ignorance is Bliss!

Right, Flyer, I'm very pleased with my PM9 so far. The one I've got seems to have very close tolerances, everything fits very well. And it has features I want, slide lock, good spring, and locked breech Browning action. Plus, for storage or carry without a round in chamber, can relieve tension on the hammer spring by just dry firing after double check no round in chamber. I don't use +p ammo in it but it's nice to know I could.
Can't say any of them things for the R9 and agree with you the cost is a rip off for what you get, or what you don't get!!

Ignorance is Bliss. The hundreds of people on sites like GT, etc. don't have a clue what's really going on. Remarks like....
"The CorBon PowerBall really works good in my P3AT and that's what I'm going to carry" (never heard of a KelTec forum)

or..."What do you think about a Kel Tec" (again never heard of us)

Well, sorry, I don't post over there anymore unless it's to defend a friend. Trolls. Nasty, "expert" Trolls.

Flyer, please give us a good definition/description of just what a Troll is and maybe a few examples.

Cheers,
og

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Well...
A "Troll" is pretty much someone who deliberately incites arguments between members of a forum, trying to pit friend against friend, most often. Sometimes it's to attack a Kel-Tec or other brand gun, but usually a Troll appears from nowhere and, with about ten posts under his belt, suddenly has "expert" knowledge about the guns he's talking about and has definite dos and don'ts that MUST be obeyed.
These guys spend a LOT of time hanging around gun forums, not posting but just reading. They usually join a forum as soon as it appears, so when "Trolling" time comes around they can point out that they're not really newbies, but have been here all along. When the time seems ripe and a nice, juicy (but friendly) argument comes up, they hop in.
Another type is the kind that owns one gun, a Glock, say. He can't afford another, so he resorts to trolling to bolster his confidence and assure himself he's got the best pistol there is. He doesn't know squat about KTs, Smiths, or anything else... but he's READ about them, and will quickly dash to the defense of his personal pistol, citing "personal examples" of things that've happened to him with that Smith... without ever having owned one.
A good example would be, of course, KTGnome, Dean Speir (who's a different type of troll; he DOES have wide experience with guns, but unfortunately thinks he's a Deity), and a few others best left unmentioned, but who I'm sure you're aware of!
Flyer

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Classic prose

Thanks Flyer,

Can you make that description into some kind of Sticky or such. It needs to be up front at all times.

Cheers,
og.........off to bed, picnic tommorrow with bunch of old people! :x

G

·
Taking my PM9 to the range today with 7 mags, each filled with an assortment of HP's. Everything from Silvertips to the long Golden Saber 147gr +p's. As far as I am concerned, if it makes it through this than there is no need to send the barrel back. Last night I pulled the barrel out of the slide and it appears to be smoothed out nicely in the area of the chamber. Could this be that they are not sure of the S/N range that had problems and to cover their 6 they are making a general recall? The more that I thought about the recall the more I attributed it to the off set feed ramp. I was quite impressed with how they did this and was sorry to see that it did not take off in other pistol designs. I wonder if KT could use this to make a 9mm in a P3AT size that would compete with the Rhobourgh (sp?).

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awaiting your range test...

norf,
sure watching for your range test. In the meantime, I owe Colorado Fatboy a big "thank you" for defending me on pistolsmith. A nasty troll showed up accusing me of endangering PM9 owners. CF set him straight.
It's great to have KTR friends to come to your aid.

CF, I owe you one.

Cheers,
og

G

·
OG, if the range test that you are referring to involves the 10mm and some wet pack test, I hope that your not holding your breath. (as a side note, I went outside to get my paper this morning and had 2 sections of the entertainment section and nothing else!) so, at this rate i'll never have enough papers. I did however manage to pop into the range while the wife was on another errand and get off a few rounds in my PM9 and P3AT. Both were flawless. The PM9 had about 35 rounds of different HP's through it without a hitch. The only problem that was encountered was that for some reason it didn't want to strip off the top round from a magazine that had the Golden Saber (147gr +p) in it. However, once the round got into the chamber it fed them fine during firing. I am guessing that this is becasue it is such a long round. As this is my not preferred carry round it was not a big deal. I also ran about 50 rounds of 115gr ball ammo and of course it fed that fine too. So the general feeling here is that it is staying put. I also asked the gun shop that I shot at about the recall and they said that they had not heard of it and they are a stocking KAHR dealer.

The P3AT was a HUGH SUCCESS!!!!!!! with the HC slide. Approximately 100 rounds of PMC yellow box and a box of Ranger SXT and I could not get a malfunction. I purposefuly had to use an exaggerated grip and limp wrist to get the gun to jam. It double and tripple tapped without a hitch. Brass was ejected to the side and other than the exaggerated grip, it was the only round that I caught in the forehead. I was throughly impressed. Thanks to OG and CFB, I picked up a box of Remington 102gr GS for the P3AT.

Now, if it just had a slide lock.....what a pistol...it is nice to have my back-up......back.....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hey, all, I found this posted at another board today:
http://www.kahr.com/notice0704.html

Dear Kahr Arms Customer,

Kahr's PM9 is one of our most reliable products for the concealed carry market. Nevertheless, in Kahr's pursuit towards continuous improvement, we are calling for the return of certain PM9 barrels for even greater reliability and safety.

Kahr Arms is asking all Kahr customers to return the barrels only from certain serial numbers of the Kahr PM9 3" barrel Polymer frame 9mm pistols in order to repair or replace barrels that were found to not properly feed some brands of hollow point ammunition, which under certain circumstances may be unsafe to the user.

If you possess a Kahr PM9 3" barrel model within the range of serial numbers noted below, please return the barrel only with a tag indicating the serial number of the gun. Barrels received will be repaired or replaced and shipped back within 7 business days.

Please return the barrel and your name and address to:

Kahr Arms
130 Goddard Memorial Drive
Worcester, MA 01603
Attn: Dorothy Herold

Thank you for cooperating with us in our pursuit of continuous improvement. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause you.
If you have any questions or comments regarding this notice, please do not hesitate to contact David Konn, Director of Dealer Development at 561-656-1288.

Sincerely,

Frank Harris
VP, Sales and Marketing

Models involved: PM9093A, PM9093NA, PM9094A, PM9094NA
Serial number ranges: VA0003 -- VA9999, VB0004 -- VB0999

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe reading this forum every day for 6 months should be a requirement for anyone who joins GlockTalk. I've only posted there a few times and already the "burn out" feeling is creeping up on me. So many "experts" over there with so much to say and so little actual knowledge to back it up with. Took my new Kel-Tec P-11 and refurb. Glock G19 to the range today - both good, no problems, etc. Next time I might take my Ruger SP-101 and something else. All good guns and all good for their intended purpose. Try saying that at GlockTalk and see what happens. One poster is ranting that he wants a "$500.00" Kel-Tec and is mad because the exact gun he wants isn't being produced. You know, they just won't listen to any reasonable explanation of the problems that happen when a lightweight auto pistol meets strong recoil and a marginal shooter. Tons of Glock problems being hassled with but a few whiners about Kel-Tec get all the attention. I know - maybe I'll say something ugly about Glocks (even though I really do like my G19) and they'll throw me out. Then I'll have to pester you guys all the time. Yeah! That's the ticket. I appreciate all of you.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome, Richard

Welcome to KTR, Richard, and very true what you say. It didn't always used to be that way at gt. Started about a year ago with cynical types showing up looking for ways to start fights.
I had a good friend over there, "1911Tuner", one of the foremost gunsmiths on the .45 1911's who helped everybody. Lives in WVA hills and many visit him where he does free fixes on anybody's pistol. Real first name is John and he is a believer in impulse theory of the Browning mechanism. Even posted a high speed video once of the action with bullet coming out of the muzzle. Some types showed up on the 1911 forum poking fun of old John and starting stupid arguments about how a pistol works in their opinion. Well, John don't post there anymore either. I hear from him once in a while by e-mail. Sure miss his fabulous advice.
But we're not alone here, got some superb gunsmiths here too that help all of us. We also have some moderators that make everyone feel at home here. Other attitudes are blocked.
Welcome, and give us your ideas anytime.
og........I might be old but I can still learn, ain't got alltimers yet! I hope not. :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.