Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be heresy to discuss -- since the design appears to be a take-off on the Kel-tec....

But, has anyone got any experience with the Taurus Millennium Pro in .45 ACP? The PT-145?

I was in Academy Sports this afternoon, and browsed by the gun counter. I asked to look at the PT-145 since it appears to be only slightly larger than the KT P-11/P-40.

I think I recall I heard some bad reviews of the original Millennium -- especially the trigger pull. However, if the Pro model is a refinement -- I was surprised at how smooth and relatively light the trigger pull was on this PT-145. It's a loooong pull -- but just dry firing it at the store, I feel like I could maintain good control on target with this DAO pistol.

It's about the same overall size of the Bersa Thunder that I recently acquired -- but it is lighter, and has a 10+1 capacity rather than a 7+1 capacity. With a loaded mag, I'm thinking the weight of the two will be about the same.

Just curious if anyone had tried the Millennium Pro... I might (unless someone can give me a good reason not to do so). If I like the performance better -- I may give up my Bersa Thunder 45 if any KTRanger is interested.

·
Registered
321 Posts
F&S,
A word to the wise: I read somewhere that the .45 versions of that model will shear off the safety if it gets bumped while firing. I saw some pics, and they looked pretty nasty(can't remember where, though...)!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was it the Millennium or the Millennium Pro? I'm under the impression -- that although they look the same on the outside -- the internals are very different between the two.

Thanks for the "heads up". I'll have to look into that...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK guys, hopefully I will not be banished from the KTRange...

Not liking the POA/POI of my Bersa Thunder 45, I looked at the Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro. I liked it and it felt much better in my hand. It's not very much larger than the P-40/P-357, and it holds 10+1 of .45 ACP!!

My dealer graciously allowed me the opportunity to swap out the Bersa Thunder .45 for the PT-145 (I picked up some other goodies from him to make it worth his while).

I'll try to get back to the range soon (maybe tomorrow) to give this a try.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hate to say it on this forum.... but it really is more refined in construction and finish. It also has a correspondingly higher price. Retail at Academy Sports was $399. Discounted, I saw price ranges of $350-$375. Blue is slightly less expensive than the stainless. The Taurus website show an option of night sights, but none of the distributors called today had that available. I'm hoping Taurus has them as a reasonably priced part. It appears change out is easy with a set screw for both the front and rear sight.

I do like the trigger pull on the PT-145 better than my P-40. I did notice, when I was looking at the gun stores, that a significant difference exists between the Millennium and the Millennium Pro. Not sure what they did, but the Pro is billed as the third generation gun in their millennium series. The regular Millennium had a very rough and coarse trigger.

In addition to being DAO, the pistol also has a manual safety:

I'll definitely try to go to the range tomorrow for a test run -- I got a little something else "special" via UPS today I want to try out too.... But I'm sworn to secrecy on that... :wink:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Scub,

I dont remember..... but there are bad apples in every bunch. Im sure that someone out there hates their ed brown or wilson. if you know anyone like that, give them my number!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I broke down the PT145 for the first time to apply some militec-1 & grease....

The design of the Taurus is totally different from the Kel-Tec.

The recoil spring is a series of captured springs and the barrel is stamped with a (proof?) mark:

The firing pin reminds me of a Glock:

And, the trigger activates a trigger/transfer bar that moves the firing pin to the rear until it breaks free of the bar:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
As I understand it most of the difference between the Millenium and Millenium Pro are small internal refinements, not really changes, per se, and also the use of screws instead of dovetails to secure the sights.
Nice gun... but I STILL prefer my Glock 30!
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ist Range Report - PT145

I tried the new PT-145 at the range today. The target below was from 15 yards.

I fired my HK P7M13 first to get warmed up. The upper left target was with the P7M13, shooting Winchester Valu-pak.

The next target, upper right, was the first with the PT145 -- shooting Remington (I know Flyer, but I wanted to get rid of the stuff) 230gr FMJ.

Then, I went to lower left with the PT145 -- shooting more of the Remington....better, but still crappy.

I switched to Winchester Valu-pak .45 ACP and shot the lower right target with the PT145....better than the Remmington.

Finally, the center target was shot using the Winchester Valu-pak in the PT145....much better.

As shooting progressed, I became acclimated to the different trigger pull of the PT145. I'm sure there will be a little break-in period where I hope the groups will be as consistent as the last (center) target.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts