Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own one Kel-Tec P-40, and one P-40 slide conversion for my P-11 I enjoy shooting them very much. If you have one that you've given up on, try a few of these suggestions.

1) Don't use 180 grain ammo. So far my best carry ammo choices are 135 grain Hydrashok, 135 grain CorBon, and 155 grain Gold Dot. The Hydrashoks are the easiest to shoot, and feel very similar to shooting a 9mm P-11 with Win Value ammo. I'm now using the CorBons for carry, and 165 grain Win Value for practice.

2) Check your mags. There are three editions of the P-40 mags. The oldest one's feed lips resemble a P-11 mag. The next edition has a mag release slot on both sides. The newest ones only have one mag release slot on the right side. You want the newest one. Return the older ones to Kel-Tec for an exchange.

3) You might have trouble with the +1 finger rest extension if the first round jams low into the feed ramp. This can cause dangerous bullet setback. With some brands of ammo the +1 extension doesn't allow enough room to fit the extra round properly. When the first round strips off it will be pushed out of the mag at a downward angle. This will cause it to impact hard on the feed ramp, or even miss the feed ramp low, hitting the frame. An altenative is to use the finger rest extension made for the P-11. You won't get the extra round, but it may give you better a functioning mag.

4) Another common mag problem is when the last two rounds will feed so that they wind up sticking straight up, jamming between the slide and the barrel. The problem here is the follower and the way it rests on the mag spring as it comes from the factory. In an attempt to cure the low first round feeding problem the mags ship with half of the top mag spring coil bent upward at a 45 degree angle. You will see it immediately when you take out the spring. Flattening out this angle will in most cases stop the last two rounds from coming out straight up. A better solution is to buy Wolff replacement mag springs. They do not have this upward bend, and the extra spring power will help you get more reliable feeding.
BTW, I have never had a malfunction using P-11 mags in the P-40. You only get 8 round capacity, but the follower in the P-11 has those long legs (to make it 10 round 9mm capacity instead of 12) attached to it that assures you that the round will always strip off at a perfect angle. I've tested them with several hundred rounds.

5) Polish the feed ramp. Some older Kel-Tec barrels have very rough machining marks on them, sort of like a washboard when you look at them closely. Some 600 grit sandpaper will polish out the rough spots.

6) Use some type of grip sleeve like the Hogue Handall Jr., which I have on both of mine. A good grip is essential to proper functioning. The finger rest extension also helps.

I have both of my P-40's working perfectly now. I am using Wolff 22 lb. recoil springs, and they function well with all types of ammo. I find the P-40's are extremely accurate out to 21 feet, which is fine for self defense. The last time I checked, Kel-Tec still has some .357 SIG barrels for around $120.00. The Kel-Tec hard chrome slide exchange is still available for $20.00. I exchanged both of my slides for hard chrome. I also have the ungrooved trigger shoes installed.

Best regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
44 Posts
resurrected p40

since recieving my resurrected p40 i have been very happy with it. is it my glock 23? well no but i can't really stick the glock in my pocket. i am at over 1000rnds with it since getting it back, the only thing is i cannot put a ful mag into it then rack the slide i have to put one in the mag then rack it then fill the mag and insert it. which is fine because i usually do that with all my semi-autos. would like to fit some ashley express big-dots i have them on the glock and for quick targeting their hard to beat. anyway i like the new site here and will help however i can. thanks

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sadp40, DUDE!
So glad to see you here. Thanks for posting. We'll get more into this topic soon.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I carry my P-40 every day. Saw this post at The High Road. I use Winchester SXT 165 grain. Rick

·
Registered
48 Posts
Keys, are the .40S&W conversion kits still available through Kel-Tec? Just curious.

NEVER MIND!!!!! Just found the commentary from Flyer in the .357 thread in this particular forum. Thanks, guys!

Also, silly question time....... Is the Win value ammo the same thing as the Winchester White Box? If the 135 grain HydraShok is the same recoil as the 9mm White Box, then that's really nothing to speak of in way of extra recoil over the 9mm.

Thanks,

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

emc said:
Also, silly question time....... Is the Win value ammo the same thing as the Winchester White Box?
No silly questions here. Winchester makes a lot of "white boxed" ammo...it's not all Valu-Pak. The Valu-Paks are 100 round boxes of loose packed ammo that is brass jacketed instead of copper. The 50 round white boxes have trays in them, are usually copper jacketed and a slightly higher grade of ammo.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, but in .40 S&W (and .45 auto) you do get trays with the 100 round value box. It comes in a larger box with two trays stacked one on top of the other. In 9mm the Win Value box is brass jacketed ammo, but I believe they still make a 50 round Win white box 9mm FMJ that is copper jacketed. Copper jacketed bullets put less wear on your barrel than brass jacketed. It seems that in .40 S&W all Win white box, either 50 round or 100 round is brass jacketed.

Federal Hydrashok 135 grain in .40 S&W is a very tame shooting round, and to me shoots just like a standard load in the P-11. If you want comfort - that's the round to buy. Next up for comfort in a personal defense round for me is the CorBon 135 grain. The 155 grain Gold Dots have some kick, and are not much fun for practice. I prefer an easier shooting round for a faster followup shot.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there really any advantage to a .40 cal over the 9mm for self defence?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Squeeker,

Without rushing in and saying "yes" -- I'll say, "it depends"...

If you shoot equally well with either caliber in the small light package of the P-11/P-40 -- as far as shot placment goes -- then, I'd say it would be beneficial to hit your adversary with the harder hitting, larger bore, heavier bullet that the .40 S&W provides. However, if you shoot better -- have better control -- with the 9mm, then in my opinion it would be better to use the smaller caliber as your self defense cartridge.

Corbon's 9mm+P in 125gr bullet produces 1250 fps/434 ftlbs. Their .40 S&W in 135gr bullet generates 1325 fps/526 ftlbs -- almost 100 ftlbs greater force.

For some reason, I personally shoot better with the .357 Sig than the .40 S&W in my P-40/P-357. Corbon's .357 Sig in 125gr bullet produces 1425 fps/564 ftlbs. -- and their 115 gr. bullet scorches out a whopping 1500 fps/575 ftlbs.!

That is the load I chose to carry...until they came out with the Pow'Rball round. It has a 100gr bullet with a polymer ball in the hollow point that acts as a wedge upon impact to expand the hollow point -- awesome stuff! The .357 Sig load cranks out 1600 fps/568 ftlbs. If you stick with the 9mm -- check out this ammo. The 9mm+P Pow'Rball has a 100gr bullet at 1475 fps/483 ftlbs. To me, a great self defense round in 9mm.

See: www.corbon.com for more information. You can even order directly from the factory and they'll ship it to your door via UPS.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I couldn't be happier with my P-40's right now. I've shot several hundred more rounds though each using Gold Dot 155 grain ammo and the 22 lb. recoil springs. I feel very comfortable with this combination, and the accuracy is awesome. I'm still using P-11 mags so the follower is stable, and I am 100% confident that I will have no jams at all with either one of my P-40's.

I like using the Gold Dots because I can buy them for cheap from Ammoman for practice, and just in case there is a quality issue I carry the same round from the more expensive commercial package. I really don't believe there is a quality issue with the Ammoman Gold Dots because I have now shot over a thousand of them without any problems. I keep my backup mags loaded with the Ammoman specials, and an extra fifty rounds on hand in the car. That would get expensive if I was using the commercially packaged ones.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would add that you need to practice, practice, practice with your P-40.

The P-40 is just so carriable (if that ain't a word, it oughta be), smooth, powerful and dependable that you end up comparing your much-more-expensive firearms to it.

I run across guys all the time who brag about their "carry" and it's a Kimber/Glock/CZ, etc., but somehow they NEVER have the weapon on them! Silly me, I thought that was the intent of concealed-carry.

Did I mention practice, practice, practice?

Kahrpacker

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
i,m torn

the .357 sig is an intriguing round. my p11 9mm has been every thing i hoped it would be. never a bobble. what does a .357 conversion entail? can i easily go back to my original 9? is the conversion a bbl. and slide, what about mags? will i have to convert mag and recoil springs? i was going to buy another mak and now you've pitched the devil into the pot. my dollars are finite. what am i to do? a.40, a .357, a mak?

to paraphrase, this is a dilemma wrapped up in an enigma.

i'll make it easy and drop the .40 from the mix. a .357 conversion or another mak?

what says the caucus? (no kerry, thanks) :?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
byron,
If you're going to drop the .40 idea... I'd say stick with 9mm.
The principle attraction of the P-40 is simply the fact that it's a bigger bore.
Yep, the .357 Sig is going to increase your stopping power... but at quite a cost in regards to controllability, muzzle blast and flash, and ammo cost. No "White Box" .357! (Yet, at least...)
A nice hot 9mm round should do a very good job without the bullet being driven to Warp Speed... which is the .357 Sig's purpose.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
byron,
The P-40 or P-357 is essentially a P-11 lower end with a slightly longer slide and barrel. A conversion kit is a slide, barrel, guide rod, and recoil springs. At the range I swap between a P-11 upper end and a P-40 in just a few seconds. Just don't do what I did and stupidly slap your mag loaded with 9mm rounds back in after changing to your P-40 top end. I fired a round that went dead center of my target but didn't cycle. When I checked what was wrong I found a greatly expanded 9mm case stuck in the chamber.
Since I carry my P-40 everywhere every day I guess I'm biased, but for me it is the perfect carry weapon. Your P-11 mags will work just fine, but you will only get 8 round capacity. In my opinion the P-11 mags are much more reliable than the P-40 mags. So, buy a P-40 conversion, or a P-357 if you want. You won't regret it. BTW, the .357 SIG round should also work in the P-11 mags since it is the same case diameter as the .40 S&W, just necked down, so you will also get just 8 round capacity.

Regards, Keys 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts