Kel-Tec Forum banner

Suggest a model for Competition Shooting?

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  azrael 
#1 ·
Hey gang,

I'm would like to get into some local level shooting competitions. Can you give me some recomendations as to a good model firearm to start with?

Cheers,
Den

#3 ·
What competition? What I'd recommend for action shooting (IPSC, IDPA PPC etc) would be different than if the competion was NRA Bullseye. If you're shooting Cowboy matches or Highpower, then the recommendation would be different again

Allan

#6 ·
Dennis,

I see you're in NC. I am in Greensboro. Durham Pistol and Rifle Club holds a variety of matches. They have a website for info. The season is over but that will give you time to get ready. It's a good club and you don't have to be a member to compete. One thing you'll find out about competition shooting: though you may not be a good shot, you'll shoot with the some of the best in the world. And if you think you're a good shot, watching some of these veteran competitors is a humbling experience.

#7 ·
Thanks for all of the replys. The local range I belong to has an IDPA match every month. I was thinking of starting out with that.

Also, I guess I should have listed what I already own:
KT P-32
KT Sub2k
Walther PPK
Beretta 96
Beretta 92 (Department issued)

Didn't know if any of that was good for competing or not.

Thanks,
Den

#10 ·
#11 ·
IDPA usually caters to LEOs and allows them to use their duty holsters for competition. A good retention duty holster, of couse, is going to be slower than a speed rig.

The 92 will work fine for IDPA and for some divisions of IPSC. See what others are shooting.

When you are ready for a "game gun" you can get a 1911 or a full-size Glock.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the replys. Midi, I take it your really like the Glock 17L/34? :wink:

I think I'll attend the next one before I enter to get a better feel of things.

Thanks,
Den

#14 ·
SA good, Glock good

Get something with a longer barrel than self defense conceal pistols.
SA good, 5" barrel. Glock good too. Go to range. Fire from benchrest at 7 yd target. Adjust sight until hit bullseye with tight group. Make sure ammo functions 100%. Shoot different ammo brands until find the best for your pistol, accuracy and function.
Then ready. IDPA fun. IPSC not.
Good quick draw holster helps. Plus extra magazines loaded helps.
Practice.
good luck,
og

#15 ·
LOTS of NC people here...If ya live in Greensboro...I think that the Riverside Gun Club in Ramsuer have a Action Pistol Shoot at the beginning of each month..Maybe second sat. of each month I am not sure...It is a decent club but isnt on the same level of the Durham Pistol and Rifle club....Get yourself a G22 or G35 to shoot..Ya make major and they are fun guns to shoot... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.