Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been visiting this forum for a while, just bought my SUB not too long ago.
btw, you guys convinced me to get the SUB instead of a mossberg 500.

it's a wonder what twisty-ties and double sided tape can do nowadays. along with my old scope mount from my paintball marker, and an AR fore grip from another post, i managed to put it together as best i can. despite how it may look, it is pretty durable. doesn't move or anything. just thought i'd let you guys see.

another thing;
i saw some hi cap mags from sportsmansguide.com. i was thinking on getting the 30rnd mags, but the 33rnd scherer mags look tempting. any suggestions? anything else i should know? i heard the scherer mags have feed problems, i just want to know what you think.

thanks,
dcs

·
Registered
46 Posts
:shock:
That’s a good one. It made me laugh out loud.

Now, if this was not a joke, I apologize.
:?
Kel Tec makes a nice rail for this rifle. It cost much more than tie wraps ($20) but it would give you a very strong rail for your grip.
Also, I have seen flashlight mounts that allow you to mount your flashlight directly to your barrel. These two items will run you a few bucks, but they will give your gun a more “professional” look and will last the life of your rifle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i saw some hi cap mags from sportsmansguide.com. i was thinking on getting the 30rnd mags, but the 33rnd scherer mags look tempting. any suggestions? anything else i should know? i heard the scherer mags have feed problems, i just want to know what you think.
I have heard many, many, complants about the scherer mags, and other generic high capacity magazines. Mainly that they will cause lots of FTFs.

Everyone seems to have more luck with Factory original magazines. Glock, S&W,etc...

So I recomend waiting till the end of this year before you purchase some hi capacity magazines. That way you can get some Hi Cap factory originals at reasonalble prices.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no it wasnt a joke.

i've seen that rail and it's crazy small. you can only put one attachment on there. the main reason i used my rail was so i can use the fore grip and a flashlight, then use a universal rifle laser for the barrel.

now if i wanted a fickle thing like a 'professional' looking rifle i would've gotten the cx4 storm. i know that my SUB might not look like something you'd use, but then again the SUB wasn't a looker to begin with.

i'd rather have it useful than enter it into a beauty pageant.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yaa, I hear you about the Sub2000 not winning a beauty pageant. Mine is ugly too.
But it is better looking than the HiPoint Carbine. And as for the Storm, that is one sweet looking carbine. I am waiting to see how the shooting public feels about the reliability of the CX4. If it shoots as good as the paid gun writers claim it does, its going on my got to have list.

I have a flashlight a laser on my Sub. I usually leave the flashlight off (1st samco quick release), but the laser is really cool. For nighttime and indoors shooting, it’s awesome. I have a cheap laser, so it is not visible past 15 yards in day light. But after playing with the laser on the gun for a few hours, I can now aim the rifle without the sights or laser. The laser helped my brain learn where the rounds would hit without shooting up my house.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, the hipoint i handled was pretty bad. the mags were pretty darn cheap looking.

as for the cx4; can you say 'love at first sight'?

if you haven't seen the universal laser, go to ebay and type up 'universal rifle laser' and you'll know what i'm talking about.

you don't know of any reliable 30 rounders for the SUB? that's kinda the whole reason i bought it. otherwise i probably will wait till that stupid law sunsets.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i didn't say it was ugly, it just won't win a pageant.

it's like your car;
if you put something cool on it, it'll look way better.

slap a 30 round mag on it and it looks like a monster.
ya know, the disney ones, but a monster nonetheless.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a Sub in the GLOCK magazine flavor. I have one GLOCK 31 round magazine that I use with it as well as a couple of 17 rounders. My experience tends to support the idea that factory magazines are your best bet. I do have a friend with a GLOCK 19 pistol and he has several Schere magazines that he loves. Likes'em so much that he uses them for carry when he is off duty.

I like the handgrip idea. It definatly has a "creative engineering" look. I would not mind having a forward hand grip and light myself but that is pushing the envelope for me. My Sub-2000 is pretty much a fun gun and emergency option. Not a social gun. The reliability is close but not 100%. I am looking for an extended magpouch to put the 31 rounder in and attach it under the hand grip. Nice rainy day gun as well as some fun at the 3 gun matches.

I will admit though that a handgrip with a light and an Aimpoint on top would make a cool fun gun. I wonder when we will see them in the movies. It has a lot of potential as a prop gun to build on. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i originally got my SUB in glock for home defense. one of the reasons i chose it over the mossberg was its semi-auto firing. and along with 30 round mags makes for a potent weapon. btw, i only spent $20 on the grip and about $3 on the ties and tape. the rest i had lying around.

but since most hi cap mags poop out on the SUB i'll just have to wait for september. since i'll be of handgun age by then, i might as well invest in the scherer mags when i get my glock 26.

also, with my budget as a student, 'fun gun' isn't in my vocabulary unfortunately...

thanks for the input!
dcs

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you've ever gone paintballing, you'd appreciate a high volume of ammunition at your disposal. not a good thing for you to run dry shooting high powered air while getting paint shot at you.

besides, if the baddies can get 30 rounds (or more), why shouldn't i? granted, i don't plan on getting into any gunfights, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. also i don't have the privilege of going to the range every weekend, so again, it won't hurt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you look inside the hand guard there are some hollow areas inside top and I believe bottom. I was considering cutting some flat stock aluminum to fit those areas, screw the two halfs back together and then drilling the hand guard right on the seam into the aluminum reinforcments and tapping them to accept a flat weaver or other style accessory rail for mounting of flashlights and other accessories. As for what ive done to mine I ordered one of the universal lasers made by ncstar and wasnt real happy with it, it wanted to rotate on the barrell. upon inspecting I saw that the threads on the back of the laser were in line with the picatinny rail so I used half of the trigger guard mount off of another ncstar laser for my ruger mk ii pistol and used the long hex head screws that now lay in between the KT picatinny rail and the hand guard to prevent the side to side rotation of the barrell clamp works great but the unit I have has the little side switch and is forever getting accidentally switched on in my case so im probably gonna suggest a pressure type switch I think ncstar makes one like that. as for how it looks it looks mighty fearsom with the extra mag carrier sling with the factory Glock 32 round mag which I can get as a LEO.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'm staying away from altering my SUB just in case i need it for resale. i don't see that happening in the future but stuff happens.

so what's the problem with the ncstar laser?

·
Registered
17 Posts
the laser with the little slide switch is very easy to turn on accidentally and burn up batteries try one with a remotely wired momentary switch. just my suggestion

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

tiny43 said:
I was considering cutting some flat stock aluminum to fit those areas, screw the two halfs back together and then drilling the hand guard right on the seam into the aluminum reinforcments and tapping them to accept a flat weaver or other style accessory rail for mounting of flashlights and other accessories.
Been there done that :) I used 8x32 Hex head screws and a 10/22 weaver base along with the aluminium inserts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
that is exactly whaty I had in mind except with a 30mm red dot on top cool

1 - 20 of 20 Posts