Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received this communication from KT...

------
The SU-16B light weight version is expected to begin shipping approx. September / October this year.

Have a great day!
www.Kel-Tec.com
------

This makes me very happy here in CA, I noticed the SU-16 runs fairly hot, am I right in thinking that's only gonna get worse with the lighter barrel the 16B has and does anyone know if there any problems with a hot barrel I should be aware of other than potentially cooking off a round?

Thanks, roll on the Fall... :D [/b]

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Where'd you hear it runs hot? It's no worse than an AR or a Mini-14.
As for "cooking off"... I'd put worries about THAT right out of my mind! Almost every instance of chamber cook-off immediately follow a burst of full-auto fire. Unless you're going to the range with a supply of loaded 30 round mags and intend on emptying them as fast as humanly possible, the chances of a cook-off are about as remote as being struck by a meteor.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't hear about the heat I experienced it! Got a burn on the inside of my arm after about 160 rounds of continous fire -- It was a sweet suprise.

I was thinking about getting a 16B because the sighting system is far better BUT I was California dreaming whilst reading a RRA AR-15 catalogue and noticed a Weaver Type Gas Block Sight Base that looks like it could attach to the spot where the original front sight is, (to mutilate or not to mutilate that is the question) then I could add any sight system I like and save $600+. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there any chance that the new SU-16 front sights can be put on the "old" SU-16s? I'd sure like a better front sight.

Thanks

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I doubt any of the newer sight assemblies can be retro-fitted to the older SUs.
As for using AR sights and accessories, remember we're using a completely different gas system here, and it's not likely any will be compatible. The SU has a much thinner barrel at the gas port area than the AR.
Another interesting point is that the serial # on the SU is on the barrel. This will eliminate the possibility of simply ordering another barrel, since it's considered the firearm itself, and must be sent through an FFL.
Flyer

·
Registered
167 Posts
The SU-16B front and rear sight will be available for retrofit to a standard SU-16A model (see http://www.kel-tec.com/su16bpr.htm). Although the removal of the plastic front sight (with metal bushing) requires the use of a dremel tool with cutoff wheel and a steady hand. The rifle could also be sent in for the upgrade.

But don't start sending your rifle's yet. The sight upgrades won't be available until well after the SU-16B's ship (no, I don't have any info on exactly when that will be).

The serial number is stamped on the receiver (part #202) not the barrel. the removal of the barrel often results in the destruction of the receiver. This is why you cannot simply replace the barrel. You can theoretically order a new barrel but it would probably not be worth trying to change them out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great news if we can get the new sights. Wonder if we can just send in the barrel and have the front sight replaced?

Thanks for the info!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope, apparently not.
KTWM works for Kel-Tec, and just said removal of the barrel often results in destruction of the receiver.
It's not hard to remove the front sight, just needing a steady hand with the Dremel.
Flyer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts