Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have done it. I removed the front sight and installed a recoil reducer ($5). I also added a on/off pad($8) for my Sure Fire for night time use. I even upgraded the scope to a Weaver V10 ($159). I got all these items at the Gun Show yesterday. The dummy suppresser(key word is dummy as in fake) was for a heavy barrel 30 call gun. I increased the ID until it is a tight press fit onto my SU barrel. I then drilled 4 comp holes into the top then beveled them. I did put it on slightly off center (my mistake) but it is such a tight press fit that I will have to see if it will work lose after shooting it with out the set screws in place. The scope is awesome! Super clear and it has a 2 power setting for close work and up to 10 power for distance. Well guys tell me what you think. You can even rib me for not making sure it was straight before pressing the RR on. :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Gun_Nut_2k1 said:
I then drilled 4 comp holes into the top then beveled them. I did put it on slightly off center (my mistake) but it is such a tight press fit that I will have to see if it will work lose after shooting it with out the set screws in place.
Watch this VERY closely or you could be in for a less than enjoyable day. Otherwise, it all looks good.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Midiman said:
Watch this VERY closely or you could be in for a less than enjoyable day. Otherwise, it all looks good.
Well heck Midi now I am worried! What am I watching for? I plan to check after each shot to see if it loosens up, but what else should I worry about?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
GN2K,
Well, you're looking for a .223 slug careening off a muzzle break in the process of falling off... !!!
If the brake should happen to fall just exactly the wrong way and block the muzzle just as you're squeezing the trigger, well... your exploded and useless rifle is going to be the LEAST of your worries!
If I were installing a brake with set screws, I'd make a small detent for each screw in the barrel, tighten them very securely, and lock things up with Loc-Tite.
It looks cool, though... although I'm wondering if that weight on the barrel is going to affect your accuracy as the barrel heats up. Watch for vertical stringing; if it shows up, your barrel is drooping like wet spaghetti under the weight!
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AH ok guys I understand now :shock: I just don't like the look of the slightly off center holes. I don't even know if it will come off with shooting. It was a very very tight press fit. I might have to cut it off and get another one. The aluminum of the Comp is very light. I will watch for it all though. The set screws are in the valleys of the knurling on the end of the barrel to BTW. I tried everything short of cutting to remove it and could not get it off. I was more interested in follow up shots than accuracy any way with the old 4x scope. Now with the 10 power maybe I can do even better than the 1 inch at 100 Dad got out of it!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I take it that the primary purpose of this addition is just the "cool" looks? Does the .223 need a recoil reducer -- especially in a semi-auto? Looks interesting, not to seem critical -- just wondering the purpose...

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
I have 2 AR15s and, while one has a compensator on it, neither of them need it... and the one that DOES have it, is so loud I can barely stand to shoot it at my range, under the metal roof, with the concrete wall 20' to my left. If I get away from all that sound refective surface, it's easier to take...

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re:

flyandscuba said:
I take it that the primary purpose of this addition is just the "cool" looks? Does the .223 need a recoil reducer -- especially in a semi-auto? Looks interesting, not to seem critical -- just wondering the purpose...

Mostly cuz it looked cool. I also wanted a little more control on double taps on a 5 pound Rifle. Not sure if it will help but I like it :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it effectivly reduces recoil then it could be good. These are alot lighter than an AR and don't have the springy thing in the stock so absorb recoil.

As for mods I'm gonna see about getting a magwell made for it among other things for IPSC/Three Gun shooting. For those of us in Kali it's gonna be a big seller since unless you owned an AR prior to '99 you were basically screwed. We'll see what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts