Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have difficulty removing and replacing the factory takedown pin on the SU-16? I found an inexpensive alternative that requires no modification to the firearm.

I removed the factory pin and replaced it with a 1/4" x 1-1/4" Cotterless Hitch Pin (available for about 75 cents at Home Depot or Lowes). It is a perfect fit and has the ring attached which allows easy removal and replacement. I'll definitely keep the factory pin for regular use, but this alternative makes easy work when folding and extending the rifle frequently. You can even use it as the "punch" necessary to remove and replace the factory pin.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
flyandscuba,
Neat mod!
I rarely carry or transport the rifle folded, so the pin's never really bugged me. But, if I DID, I'd definitely use your solution. The factory pin just BEGS to be lost!
Flyer

·
Registered
67 Posts
FWIW, at the SHOT Show this year, that same takedown pin had become very loose on at least one of the proto SU-16s. Of course, this was after hundreds (thousands?) of folks had played with the gun for four straight days! BTW, that seemed to be the only glitch the gun had developed from all the fondling.....nice thing about synthetic furniture, it don't discolor/fade from handling.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I did a very similar mod when I first got my SU-16. I used a D-ring Latch pin and modified the clip to retain the barrel when the rifle is folded. You remove the bottom most screw and aluminum sleeve at the rear so pin can be transferred. I origianly posted it on the "Other" site but thought you all might like to see it here. :oops: Sorry bout the bad Pics
[/img]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Searching forever for a mod like this!

And I'm still waiting for my CA to cool off. Great find guys and great mod. I almost thought about making some kind of latch for the break point, but that wouldn't take into consideration the folded position and loose butt stock.

Again, Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Found the cotterless

Hey gun nut,

I found a cotterless hitch pin but can't find the d ring latch pin. Where did you find that? Will pay for information.

·
Registered
14 Posts
cotterless hitch pin

Good idea on the hitch pin. I found the 1/4 X 1 1/4 to protrude just a bit too much, so ai ordered a 1/4 X 1 stainless steel pin from a sporting company online. It fits closer to the stock. I changed the ring for a smaller thinner one and it lies flat better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts