·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
80rds of white box(2) Winchester
60rds of South African 89’ surplus.

Issues = 4 failures to feed/Cause IMHO it was simply dirty
Total rounds to date = 410

I ended up not being able to go to the range last weekend do to an unexpected visit from grandma…She’s almost 80 now so taking her to the range is not high on her list.

Well it started out a foggy day good luck just barely seeing @ the 40yard tin can range…let alone the 50yard and 100 yard rifle range. (This sessions main goal) . Plus everything kept getting wet!

So my buddy and I headed for the pistol range to sight in our 99’s. He has a Walther P-99 .40, and I have a SW99 .45. We both put about 100rds through them and lets just say now that we are all dialed in I would not want to be a “bad guy” in front of me with the SW99 in my hands! Hey wait this is about the SU-16…

Ok fog cleared…a little. We can now just barely see the targets @ 50yards, so I say lets wait a bit more and shoot some clays. (Bright orange ones, good luck with the white ones) went through 100rds. I tell ya doing this in the fog is a bit more of a challenge, but I was blast’n 80%, my buddy about 70%. If ya did not pick’um off early and fast they would be out of view quick like. Hey wait we are here for the SU-16…(A side note: I picked up my Franchi 620 the same day as my SU-16)

Still foggy at 100 yards nothing to be seen except fog. 50 yards is ok not great, but ok. So we head to the 40yard tin can range load up some water bottles and have a wee bit more fun waiting for the sun. I do break out the SU-16 and put almost both boxes of the Surplus crap through it, sending a few bottles fly’n. Mostly though I was using my 77/22, to blast the caps of the bottles and then to make those caps dance. I was not having as much fun with the SU-16 mainly because I had re-mounted the Scope and it was off, shooting low and to the right. I dropped down to the plastic sight, but I must admit I have a wee bit of trouble focusing through the Leopuld see through mounts. I can hit just not EXACTLY where I want to. That’s what practice is for. This was my first chance to test out the new pad though. I REALLY like it! It felt great! I think I felt wee bit less recoil, but it hard to compare with out a stock rifle to switch back and forth to. I did really like the little bit of extra length it gave me. The rifle simply feels more comfortable to me now. Standing at the shoulder was “per-fit”. With the bi-pod deployed it was also a nice fit. Part of the reason I had re-mounted my scope…On the first set-up I am :oops: to say I had it just a wee bit to far back. This caused my shooting glasses to um make contact once and a while with the scope after the trigger was pulled. DOH! With the new length to the stock and a slight re-positioning of the scope no more issues! Around 2:00pm the sun finally came out so off to the 100 yard range we went.

100yards:
We spent about 50rds working on the scope at 100yards, we were getting pinched on time do to the fog. I had a small window, before we need to switch over to my buddies 22-250. He is doing some load development for this rifle and needed some help. So he spotted for me while I used the SU-16 and I then did the same for him while he used his Remington. After all was said and done I was getting groups of 1.5 – 2 inches. This was done while using his rifle bench rest system. To be honest I found the Bi-pod more stable on my previous session. His rifle bench rest was set-up more for traditional hunting rifles and there was a bit of play mostly on the vertical. The stock did not work very well with the slot in the leather stock rest. The cut outs for the magazines would cause the rifle to lean one way or the other while using this. After the first magazine I removed the stock rest. It was more hassle than it was worth to me. Now that I think about this whole set up never came back to rest in the same spot…as “

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry...I forgot about the post limit....

now where was I...

..as was "advertised" by my buddy. So next session when I do my hopefully final round of zeroing in the scope, I will use the bi-pod. I figure This what I will use mostly anyway, so why not just set it up that way. I feel that I shoud be able to get tighter groups with just a little more work, and practice. Also keep in mind I was using some basic wallymart 40rd bulk packs. With this stuff getting 2 inch groups is not bad IMHO. I do have pictures of the groups, but I want to wait and post a series of pictures after my next session.

Like I said before I look at the SU-16 as my lets go have some fun rifle. It keeps me smile'n, and I plan to mostly use it @ the 40 yard tin can range with some fun @ 100 yards. That reminds me does anyone know if I will lose Zero at the closer ranges? Since I am now setting it up for 100yards, will this effect my 40 - 50 yards target shooting?

Oh the FTF. like I said above I think it was simply time for a Full cleaning. I had planned ot wait until the 500rd mark, but the surplus crap I think added more fowling than I thought it would. Up until this weekend I had not completed a full field stip. I had been cleaning the barrel though. Many times during breakin, and with just quick passes of a bore snake after that. All of the FTF were towards the end of this sesson and 3 of the 4 were on the first round in the magazine. The bolt did not come all the way forward and did come to a rest about 1/8 of an inch back from the breach. I did notice that the tension on the bolt was starting to get tighter, and the recoil spring was starting to make more noise. The 4th FTF was round 7 of my very last magazine for the day. Same thing as above. When I got home I broke it down as per the instructions, cleaned it, and now all is a smooth if not smoother than the day I brought it home. At least there were no FTE this time...arghhhh that crappy surplus stuff!

As for cleaning I give the SU-16 a 4 on the ease to clean scale. 1 being that was frigg'n easy! and 10 OH S#it I need a whole machine shop and some special tools!

Untill next time...

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

Whelp said:
That reminds me does anyone know if I will lose Zero at the closer ranges? Since I am now setting it up for 100yards, will this effect my 40 - 50 yards target shooting?
<snip>As for cleaning I give the SU-16 a 4 on the ease to clean scale. 1 being that was frigg'n easy! and 10 OH S#it I need a whole machine shop and some special tools!
With the tall rings you have it more than likely will effect it. My rifle seemed to hit Higher at 100 yards than at 50 yards. I had zeroed it close up then mover out. As I recall I had to bring it down.

I love the 10 on your cleaning scale LOL

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

Gun_Nut_2k1 said:
My rifle seemed to hit Higher at 100 yards than at 50 yards. I had zeroed it close up then mover out. As I recall I had to bring it down.
The typical ballistics of a .223 round are that it will cross point of aim at 25 and 300 meters. everything in between will be high... anything further will be low.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

Midiman said:
The typical ballistics of a .223 round are that it will cross point of aim at 25 and 300 meters. everything in between will be high... anything further will be low.
So that is why..... :?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep...
That's why the military uses a 25 meter range to quickly set their "Battlesight Zero'.
Plug a half-inch diameter or so bull at that range, and you'll be virtually guaranteed to hit a man-sized target by aiming at the chest area out to around 400 yards.
Flyer

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it sounds like in my case I should set the plastic sight for 50yards, and keep the scope set at 100yards. Then practice, practice, practice! :twisted:

Oh is my math right 25m = 75yards

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

Whelp said:
So it sounds like in my case I should set the plastic sight for 50yards, and keep the scope set at 100yards. Then practice, practice, practice! :twisted:

Oh is my math right 25m = 75yards
Or... you could learn how to use the bullet drop compensator on your scope if it is equipped with one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re:

Flyer said:
Actually, 25 meters is more like 28 yards...
Flyer

I hate to dispute ya, but...

1 meter = 3.2808399 feet
1 yard = 3 feet

So 25 meters = 82.0209975 yards

Looks to me like ya swapped your numbers :wink:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re:

Flyer said: