Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one having trouble with SU-16 factory mags? Mine started to not feed right causing a jam. The lips would spread when loaded. One of them won't hold ten rounds with out bursting them out. I would load ten rounds set them down and 3 or 4 would pop out. However my 30rd AR mags work just fine. Is there an upgrade on the factory mags? The mag walls seem really weak. My SU is one of the first ones out and of course my firing pin broke but Kel-Tec sent me the new ones and I've had no problems. Just want to see if any body else has had this problem. Maybe it's just me but if I did not have my ar mags it would be a bummer. It would be a real bummer for the folks in hi cap mag banned states if were true for all the factory mags.

G

·
i would imagine that Kel-Tec would replace them under their warranty. give them a call and see what they will do. you know that you can use GI mags in the SU's. I don't have an SU but if I did I would prefer the metal mags to the plastic anyway.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I've never had any problems with my 10 round KT mags... and I've got one of the first ones. My firing pin's still perking along just fine, too.
Flyer

·
Registered
68 Posts
mag problems

I just started having problems w/ my mags the other day.
My range only allows 5 rounds @ at time, and I had a ftf every time. I live in one of those high cap ban states, ma, so it's not going to be a picinic to find new mags.
I did however, find an orlite, 30, that worked flawlessly
I'm thinking of picking some up at the next show I can find, not till sept though. keep us updated on anything you find from KT

thx
Garyz

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey all, Been lurking for a while so here's my first post. I've had the same problem the last two times out. In fact one mag burps out 4 or 5 rounds before I can even get it in to the mag well. I live in CA. so I have to wait for the next show to pick up some post ban mags. I'll call KT today and I'll post any updates.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just a follow up, Talked to Justin in the service dept. today and he said to just send them in for exchange. They've heard of the problem and have new/repaired mags that solve this problem. Sent mine in today by second day air, hopfully the new ones will be back by next week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the exact response from KT that RacerRTR got. I'm pretty sure the replacement mags will work great. Now the question is "What else should I buy now that I get free shipping with the mags!" :) Too bad the sling is not out yet nor are the upgraded sights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,
I'm glad I found this forum, but also have the same problem with the factory plastic magazines. Ammo pops out of them when the temperature / weather is above 90 F. I already send back my originals to Kel-Tel, and they sent me new ones. The replacement mag comes in a plastic sealed bag with a blue "post-it" that says "tested fired" on them.

However the same problem occurs. The new Kel-Tec magazines I received are also plastic. This kinda reminds me of the original glock magazines, before the put in the steel linings. Anyone know if there is a real fix in the near future?

I live in Kalifornia, so getting GI magazines are a big no-no, and hard to come by.

Other than that, the SU-16 is awesome!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My SU-16 is two months new and I had to send in both mags; 7 of 10 cartridges "jumped" out during a rifle section of a 3-Gun match. I looked pretty foolish. On another occasion while target shooting on a hot day I couldn't keep the mags full when sitting beside me, the cartridges kept springing out.

Kel-Tec readily replaced them with ones they said were "tested". Yet when I loaded them and set them out in the day's heat, one lost 3 of the cartridges after it warmed up. Since it is impossible to keep mags "cool" in So. California heat I returned that one too. KT sent me another one. We'll see how that one does.

In any case, I am paranoid about using my mags in hot weather even though I don't expose them to the sun. I don't think the plastic mags are strong enough to resist the heat all the time.

I appreciate Kel-Tecs prompt responses, but I'd be happier if the mags would function better in hot weather.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Not being too familiar with the exact wording of California's gun laws... can you order a factory 10 round mag from Bushmaster?
They would be very reliable, and solve the "fleeing case" problem, at least...
Flyer

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You can indeed, I find metal magazines, even steel (Pro-Mag) favorable to the supplied Zytel stock mags.

Hey Warhoggie, been to Nevada lately? :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Not being too familiar with the exact wording of California's gun laws... can you order a factory 10 round mag from Bushmaster?
Flyer
You are right, California only allows me to order a 10 round mag. Thanks for the specific recommendation. I didn't have the faintest idea which brand or model to purchase. So I just ordered two Bushmaster mags. I'll try other brands recommended by others soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re:

stevil said:
You can indeed, I find metal magazines, even steel (Pro-Mag) favorable to the supplied Zytel stock mags.

Hey Warhoggie, been to Nevada lately? :wink:

LOL Thanks Stevil...I haven't thought of Nevada... But I spoke to a couple of guys who tried to do that, and the store there ask them for IDs...and oops...sorry we can't sell it to you. Not sure if all stores do that.

But Flyers idea of 10 round steel mags sounds like a solution.

Thanks guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts