Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,
I have been reading with great interest about the new 6.8mm round some of our Special Forces and Remington have developed. Does anybody know if Kel-Tec has this round planned for its great SU-16 (or is this round to hot for this light weight rifle)?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Almost certainly not.
It's not a question of ability to handle the cartridge; basically the round is just a 5.56 with a .24 caliber bullet.
I'd expect there would be minimal interest in the round for sporting use, and the likelihood Kel-Tec would chamber the SU for an uncommon cartridge is very low.
Personally I believe the new cartridge, if adopted, would be a mistake.
All existing AR-15/M-16 pattern rifles can be easily adapted; the problem lies in the overall loss of performance. The 6.8mm simply lacks the overall sterling qualities of our current round, namely flatness of trajectory and inherent accuracy. The increase in bullet size is minimal at best, and stopping ability would be reduced significantly at ranges under 300 yards as it lost the "Mach 3" effect of the 5.56 round, that of impacting the target at thrice the speed of sound.
Flyer

G

·
The increase in bullet size is minimal at best, and stopping ability would be reduced significantly at ranges under 300 yards as it lost the "Mach 3" effect of the 5.56 round, that of impacting the target at thrice the speed of sound.
OUCH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again Flyer for your quick response but are you sure that the 6.8 would result is LESS stopping ability? That's reason the SF's developed the round was to have MORE stopping ability. The "experts" in the latest issue of "Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement" (Nov.2004) take the opposite position of your assessment. The two men reviewing the 6.8mm are pretty well known fellows in the gun industry (Dan Goodwin p.52 & Gary Paul Johnson p.62), and the folks at Berrett Guns really know their business.

Because I greatly value your reviews and assessment of the SU-16 I would be very interested in your comments after you read those two articles (If you did not want to buy the mag. you could always buy a cup of coffee and read them in any Borders or Books a Million :D ).
Tommyhawk

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, I've read all the articles (at B & N, don't have a Books a Million around here!).
The main concern addressed, theoretically, with this round is it's performance out of M4 - pattern rifles. The loss of 5 1/2 barrel length from a standard M2 to an M4 (14 1/2 inch barrel) is disastrous to the 5.56's ability to stop the enemy.
As velocity drops below 2500 fps. or so, the bullet loses it's ability to produce the aforementioned "Mach 3" effect - what it DOES is simply punch a nice .22 caliber hole through the enemy, who likely as not keeps right on going. With the 20 inch barrel, the round literally pulls the sonic boom following it INTO the wound, resulting in almost instananeous de-stabilization of the bullet, which then separates into fragments and causes TREMENDOUS damage, in most cases more than a .308 will do.
So... they're working on the assumption that a very slight increase of diameter and weight at essentially equivalent velocities will bring the performance of the shorty M4s up to standard levels.
This, I seriously doubt. I suspect what'll happen is the same thing that happen before... instead of a .22 hole, though, it'll be a 6.8mm hole. That's NOT a whopping improvement, in my mind!
Add to that the fact the bullet will lose velocity more rapidly at long range than standard M-855 rounds, and I believe we've taken a nice step backwards.
Now, since I've never FIRED the new round or subjected it to any tests I CANNOT say with certainty that I'm right.
It's just my opinion... but based on a lifetime of shooting practically every rifle caliber available, it's a fairly well informed opinion, at least!
Flyer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Flyer! Is the "Mach 3" effect achieved from the 18.4" SU-16 barrel and if so, do you think the "Mach 3" effect will be achieved from the new SU-16b barrel of 16.1"?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Within CQB distances, the 5.56mm is still extremely deadly. Some people want to fix what ain't broke. IMHO, if you aren't comfortable with the performance of a .223, get a 7.62 X 39, another proven man-stopper.

PGL-- Just my .$02 :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts