Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?:

I finally got to shoot my SU-16 yesterday in the winter wonderland known as New Hampshire. I shot about 120 rounds total of Fed XM-193, Q3131A, S&B SS109, IMI M855, South African M1A3--at about 20 yrds, they all shot pretty much point of aim. Excellent gun! Ergonomic, fun! I like it!

I did have several FTF's with one mag. I'm using mil spec Pearson aluminum 30 rnd mags and noticed the bolt rides on the right lip and was sticking on the one mag, causing FTF. No problems with the other mags (same make). The question to the AR/SU owners--does the lip wear of the AR mag in the SU-16 effect feeding from the same mag in the AR? Do you have designated SU & AR mags, or do you use them interchangably? Is reliablility effected if the mags are swapped back & forth?

Anyone with any experience with this?

Thanks,

msw :D

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, occasionally a mag for an AR will hang up a bit on the SU's bolt. This will actually take care of itself after the mag is used a few times; a tiny amount of plastic will be scraped off the follower and it'll work well in both guns.
Flyer

G

·
I can't say that i have a SU-16 rifle YET (although i am still seriously considering it). I can say from my experience as an AR-15 owner that some mags i have gotten that were new (be they pre-ban or post ban) have had the same FTF's (some not all though). and like flyer's advice after they are used a bit they "break in" and no longer pose this problem in the AR. I would assume that after the mag is "broken in" that it should be interchangeable between the two rifles with no problems. One thing i have noticed is some brands of mags are more prone to this little annoyance more so than others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was completely new below, but have been with KTOG--seems to get lower this 1 week. Ended up being requesting Q's in addition to in search of A's re also: the actual SU-16. Was probably going to check one particular away inside my local FFL's tomorrow--Sat. at the latest. Was probably going in order to un-load any Mini-14 to acquire that...
Thus right now a fresh idiotic dilemma: 5. 56 vs.. 223.... these MAY NOT BE a similar?!?!?! Most We obtain will be excess 5. 56mm, including Sellier & Bellot (yes, i know it isn't really REAL excess, but it will be NATO spec), Southern region Africa in addition to PMC FMJ... Will the actual SU cope with the actual 62gr or even 55gr FMJ far better?
Anyone include just about any practical knowledge using these inside the SU? We have no idea of when I would like to become obtaining 5. 56 regarding my Bushmaster and some "brand". 223 as opposed to excess...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a SU-16C and I use Magpul and well used GI magazines and have had no problems with either. I mostly use the GI mags. I bought a couple of Magpul magazines because of the hype about them. But, when I can get used GI magazines for $3-$5 each, why pay more?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So what is the very best MAG to use in the SU 16C regardless of cost for reliability and home defense purposes ?
Without any experience I would think a good steel metal mag would be tougher than plastic mags ? Are there any steel mags ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts