Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some nickle plated steel cased 9mm ammo (Silver Bear) at a gun show recently. I know you aren't supposed to shoot it in the Sub but just out of curiosity is anyone doing it? It was so d*mn cheap and has a massive HP cavity, I just had to give it a try. My only other 9mm is a Glock, which are notorious for having loosely supported chambers but I don't think I've heard anything about no steel cased ammo, I'll have to post on GlockTalk and ask. Sounds like I might just have to go buy a new gun to shoot this stuff - boy I love my logic!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had my sub 2000 (glock 40) for all of three weeks. Kel-Tec makes it very clear to not use anything but brass cased ammo :tsk: . One can get that quite cheap, or, one can reload.

Just because a gun doesn't break the bank doesn't mean to treat it harlshly :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
get rid of it on gunbroker or something. Steel cased ammo is horrible in anything but russian guns (theyre designed for it). Doesn't matter if it's covered in lacquer, polymer, nickel, etc, its still bad for your chamber. Also, apparently that russian stuff has steel jacketed ammo with a thin layer of copper on it. Pull one bullet out with a vise and pliers and cut it in half with a scroll saw or hacksaw, I'm curious as to how thick that copper is, and the steel, etc.

I think im gonna go try that with that free wolf 9mm I still have; I'll post pics if I don't cut off my finger... If I do cut off my finger, I'll post a pic of that!

Oh and BTW, when I last went to GI Joes, they had 9mm PMC (korean) brass cased ammo on sale for the same price as Wolf, 6 bucks a box, smells better than american eagle and is pretty clean. I think I'm gonna buy some more of that stuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK you've convinced be, I'll just keep it to look at, it is pretty. It was the huge hollowpoints that sucked me in. I guess to fire this stuff I need to find a russian pistol? Oh well, its only 400 rounds, glad it wasn't 4000.

·
Registered
315 Posts
if you reload you could recover the components and put those nice big hollowpoints into some brass cases, use the powder (there's gotta be some way to figure out the power of the load that they use) etc.

Oh yeah and if you like your hearing don't set off those wolfey berdan primers in your garage with a hammer and punch. That thing was like a .22 :(

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Oh yeah and if you like your hearing don't set off those wolfey berdan primers in your garage with a hammer and punch. That thing was like a .22 :(
Umm... errr...
No comment.
Flyer

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today.
Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
315 Posts
Re:

TxCajun said:
Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today.
Benjamin Franklin
:lol:
can't do it today cause I dont have any explosives sitting about. Im all out of Red dot at the moment :(

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Re:

Bulbman said:
:lol:
can't do it today cause I dont have any explosives sitting about. Im all out of Red dot at the moment :(
Darn the Luck! Guess that makes us about even then (for now)... :D

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
SNAFU said:
I purchased some nickle plated steel cased 9mm ammo (Silver Bear) at a gun show recently. I know you aren't supposed to shoot it in the Sub but just out of curiosity is anyone doing it?

Not to argue with the Moderators or others judgment/ experience, I have personally shot hundreds of Silver bear rounds through my SUB and around 100 through my SU-16. They are not the same rounds as WOLF. The quality and performance far exceed WOLF. The Nickel shows no adverse signs and my chambers are perfect. I keep one mag of SBHP and two mags of Geco near my SUB. I would defiantly limit my exposure to WOLF but the Silver Bear is solid ammo IMHO. This is just my own personal experience with this ammo. My full opinion of the .223 ammo is still out but it has performed well.

Oh and at ranges where you must police your brass it makes for easy pick up!

·
Registered
88 Posts
nickle plated cases

are you sure that they are not nickled plated brass,it is much easier to plate brass than steel, i am using Olympic 9mm brass boxer primed approx 99.00 per k,just a little information.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gun_Nut_2k1 said:
Not to argue with the Moderators or others judgment/ experience, I have personally shot hundreds of Silver bear rounds through my SUB and around 100 through my SU-16. They are not the same rounds as WOLF. The quality and performance far exceed WOLF. The Nickel shows no adverse signs and my chambers are perfect.
I'm not concerned about the chamber since this stuff doesn't appear to be varnish coated. My original concern was that the steel cases might not hold the pressures as well in a blow back system and cause a KB but no one seems to verify that. My concern now due to what I've heard here and at GlockTalk is possible extractor damage. One guy at GT however said that although extractor damage has been known to occur it is quite rare because the steel cases are not made of hardened steel but of cheap soft steel.

I'm going to shoot and recover some brass cases and examine them for extractor marks. If my extractor is making deep gashes or marks I'll know the softness/mallability of the brass is a big factor in this gun. If there are little to no extractor marks then I don't think extractor damage would be as likely in this gun. I think varnished cases sticking in the chamber combined with the harder steel cases are probably to blame for the majority of extractor damage that has occured, and since this stuff is not varnished it might not require a lot of force to extract, again I think examining some fired brass should give me an idea.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would suggest not shooting any steel cased ammo in a SUB2000. I have had about a half-dozen KB's (some of us don't learn the first time :roll: ) with Wolf, Sapsan(Barnaul), and Norinco steel cased nine in my S&W gripped SUB2000. The last one injured a friend who liked the gun, but wouldn't shoot it after a fragment of case bounced off his chest and left a 1/2" cut; fortunately not serious, and we kept on shooting, although he switched to his Mosin. :wink: I tried a mag full of UMC through it right after that, and it performed flawlessly. I had offered him the UMC to shoot at first, but he said, "Let's shoot up my stuff first." BTW, the Norinco performed flawlessly in his 9mm Tokarev. The next day, I gave the rest of the Wolf I had bought, along with the 250 rd. 'battle-pack' of Santa Barbra milsurp I had, to my bro-in-law, his Glock 19 and 9mm Camp Carbine ate it up with out even a hiccup. (The Santa Barbra would hang up feeding in the SUB.Pass on it if you are offered some for your SUB.) I love steel cased for my Mosins, and when I shoot SKS's. (I still haven't bought one. :( )I will not shoot it again in my SUB2000 again. Lesson learned, albeit slow. :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts