Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a Star PD .45 and heard that the "recoil spring buffer" will not function after about 500 rounds, is this true and if so does anyone supply these?
Any help please!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Absolutely, unequivocally not true.
The Star PD is a FINE handgun, and personally I'd place it above most smaller 1911-based designs on the market, including Kimber and Para.
Maybe someone's trying to talk you into a more expensive gun... but you will NOT go wrong with the Star.
And yes, aftermarket parts are readily available for the PD... it was extremely popular for a long time, and with good reason.
Flyer

·
Registered
467 Posts
Star PD

I have a Star PD and have put probably 4000 rounds through it no problems.

I do not know what you mean about recoil buffer in a pistol, I have a WASR10AK that you can get a rubber buffer for to help keep the recoil from beating the gun to pieces, maybe you are talking about a part that goes by a different name or something because I have never seen anything but springs, guiderods, and bushings and plungers on any pistol that I ever took apart except the Cobra M-11 9

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Star PD

Thanks for the feedback, I'm not sure what they (posts on forums I found doing a search for Star PD) are talking about either, thats why I asked you folks about it. "They" all also mentioned what a great .45 it is so I think I will add it to my collection. The exact phrases used "shock buffer" "recoil spring buffer"????????? If you folks never heard of it in reference to the Star PD .45 then I will not be concerned with it!

THANKS!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Well, what they're talking about is the recoil spring rod... which is basically just a metal rod that fits into the recoil spring at the chamber end, like the one on a 1911.
I've never heard anything about this part failing... in fact I'm not even sure how it COULD fail!
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Well, what they're talking about is the recoil spring rod...
Flyer
The Shok Buffer is a Polymer ring made to soften the slides slamming into the guide rod and thus the frame. Believe that is a Wilson trade mark nowadays

·
Registered
467 Posts
Buffer

Right the buffer is really made out of polymer but I just call it rubber, I dont see why you would need a buffer for a pistol to work right, my wasr10 works fine with or without one, in fact on a full auto if you remove the buffer your gun will kick harder but it will actually fire more rounds per minute.

Also, not all 1911 models have a guide rod!, Colts have the recoil springs and a bushing that holds a plunger, the plunger holds the springs back.

But Flyer is right! some models have the guide rod.

$800 Box

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Ahem...
The issue was that of a BUFFER... of which the PD doesn't have one. It's got the standard 1911-type spring guide rod.
And almost ALL 1911s have the standard bushing-spring-rod arrangement... it was THIS I was referring to as the "guide rod".
Yes, there are some 1911s that have been modified to use a full-length guide rod... and I wouldn't touch 'em with a ten-fool pole.
Flyer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Ahem...
The issue was that of a BUFFER... of which the PD doesn't have one. It's got the standard 1911-type spring guide rod.
And almost ALL 1911s have the standard bushing-spring-rod arrangement... it was THIS I was referring to as the "guide rod".
Yes, there are some 1911s that have been modified to use a full-length guide rod... and I wouldn't touch 'em with a ten-fool pole.
Flyer
:lol: Flyer : my PD has this part.[ Buffer ] The recoil rod is a 5 part assm [counting spring ], what looks like the flared seat at the barrel link end is actually a seperate piece of hard PLASTIC ! The larger end at the link unscrews . [ rt hand thread-!! caution- some type of thread lock agent was used from the factory. ] The factory recoil spring rate was only 12 lbs., so the buffer was used to protect the alloy frame. Numrich Arms, [ Gun Parts Corp ], has them listed ,but have not had any for qiite a while. [ Part # 128690 ] Units like Wilson buffers can be made to work, but don't stand up very long. I tried to find some for the PD , and only could locate 4 used ones on Gunbroker.com, W/ 2 Wollf springs,they went for around $75.- NOT TO ME!! I installed a spring .023" larger wire dia., 1 less coil, approx 1/4" longer free length. Nothing to check with but I think its about 17 lbs. My buffer is in good shape and I want to keep it that way. One more caution: if you mess W/ springs, check for coil bind. Barrel bushings are hard to find and not built for that kind of pressure. Don't ask how i know this. Hope this helps, MaGee's husband.
PS love the PD, get it, take careof it, and it will take care of you ! 155 gr Win Silvertips==good load. Stay away from +P. :shock:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
There's a possibility that the design of the PD was changed slightly in it's very last couple years of production, before it transmogrified into the "Firestar .45", which quickly became extinct.
Flyer

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope, the Thunder and FireStorm models are Bersas.
The PD followed the Star Firestar in 9mm, then .40, then .45.
Flyer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Star PD

Just some friendly advice on your Star. Over the years I have seen several with cracked frames where the slidestop fits. I don't know if Star improved the alloy frame so it may be wise to shoot it little and carry a lot. These are really great pistols and in their day could hold their own with any 1911.

Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A Star PD was my second-ever carry gun (the first being a revolver). I don't have that one anymore (wish I did), but I currently have two others - an older, blued model I bought from a local retired AF officer & one of the last Starvel-finish models imported which I found at AuctionArms.com several years ago. All three were fine pistols - I didn't have any problems with any of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Star PD 45

:D Just a heads up; I just received 3 brand new original recoil buffers for the PD. Jack First Inc, Rapid City S.D.-Tel 605-343-9544. They have these made for them to original specs[ hard plastic material W/ bushing portion. ] I can't tell them from factory. ] $14 ea. and worth it.
HTH. MaGee's Husband

1 - 16 of 16 Posts