Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed out all of my mag springs with wolff +10% springs. (2 factory mags, 2 S&W 12rd mags, and 1 S&W 15rd mag). I also purchased the calibration kit that comes with 18#, 19#, and 20# sets. Any recommendation which to start with? I currently carry carry Federal 115 gr. 9BP and I practice with whatever happens to be on sale. I'm not using anything high octane, so I figured that either factory or 18# would probably be the best place to start. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike[/code]

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
For the BP load I'd suggest the 19# spring. It's a good compromise, one that'll handle almost every load, but will add a bit of "oomph" to the slide to help cycle better with the new mag springs.
Flyer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Flyer!

Now, my guide rod is getting pretty chewed up where it rests on the barrel link/lug/thing. I asked KT to send me another plastic one, but they shipped me a steel one. Any problems with using steel instead of plastic. I know this was discussed to death on the other sitebut I don't remember if there was a strong feeling one way or the other. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Guide Rods:
Yep, the plastic ones can get that chewed appearance, but they seem to just keep ticking along. They're cheap and easy to replace.
The metal guide rods MIGHT wear your slide a bit prematurely... but I wouldn't worry about it. There's another benifit of a metal guide rod: it's going to protect your hand in the unlikely event of a case rupture that may blow out the front dust cover (bottom front of grip).
In this case, it could mean the difference between having a singed hand, and a hand minus several fingers!
Then again, I've never heard of this happening in a P-11, only a P-40. But, anything's possible, I guess.
As long as you've got the steel guide rod I'd go ahead and use it, but check the inside of the slide regularly around the guide rod hole. If this area begins to show undue wear, switch back to plastic.
Flyer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the quick response. The funny thing about this pistol is I have only shot 1 box though it and that was 9 months ago. I have since added the handall jr, eraser overtravel stop, paperclip mod to the hammer spring, night sights from KT, 3 S&W mags, pinky extensions, belt clip, Wolff springs all around, and now a metal guide rod. It's time to break this darn thing in. I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II and a Bulgie Makarov that usually pull the ccw duty.

Mike

·
Registered
205 Posts
at very least smooth out the metal guide rod. This will lessen the wear on the hole in the slide. Also note that if you ever go back to the plastic one look for a bur on the frame that may have to be removed (created by the metal one, that will eat away the plastic one).

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/guiderod.htm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the extra info yzguy. BTW I just finished a rough copy of your 12 rd S&W carry mag. Does the base plate stick out into the grip area or did you sand it down flush with the mag extension? Aside from that, I sure like the way it feels and I think another is in order. I'm going to work on it with better tools than the spyderco that I used today to make the first while bored at work.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
205 Posts
yeah, I cut it down quite a bit so that it just barely goes below the mag sleeve.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I'm currently using 20# recoil springs in my P-11 and it cycles everything from regular Win Value rounds to 124 grain +P Gold Dots with no problems.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I guess I am a bit confused. In reading the recommendations on Yzguy's site, it states that the P-11 owner should go with a replacement spring that is 10% over factory. If the factory recoil spring is 16 lbs., then that works out to be 17.6 lbs., or an 18 lb. spring. So how do we arrive at 19 lbs.? Did I buy the wrong one?

In my case, what I shoot in my P-11 is either CCI Blazer 115 gr. FMJ for general practice, or the Federal 9BP for carry. Is the 18 lb. spring too light for this? I followed the same advice for my P-32 and purchased the 11 lb. spring for that pistol, using the same calculation. (9 lb. factory spring, add 10% to arrive at 9.9 lbs. The next step up is 11 lbs., which is what I purchased. I shoot Silvertip or Cor-Bon for carry in the little spitwad.)

Thanks,

Ed

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
It is my understanding that +10% refers to mag springs.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
emc,
Nope, you didn't make a mistake... you're reading it right.
You got the right spring.
Remember, when you install the heavier recoil spring, try to remember installing the new, heavier firing pin spring, too. yzguys' tests indicate a possibility of drop-fires, so it's best to be safe than sorry.
Flyer

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation on the recoil springs, Flyer, as well as the reminder regarding the firing pin spring!

Ed

·
Registered
205 Posts
opps... I think I have refference the extra power recoil springs in my P-11 (and my P-32) as 10% extra power...

I was thinking they were rated the same as the mag springs... The MAG springs I have in my Hi cap S&W's are 10% extra power.. The RECOIL springs I have in my P-11 are the 18 lb springs (11 lbs in the P-32), which comes with the 5% extra power FP spring

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/Keltec.html

I'll have to clarify that a bit on a couple of pages..

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
mike, 12 rnd mag

mike, i bought a 12 rnd S&W mag from cdnn with a finger rest on it. i used a small orbital sander with #160 grit on it to do the initial work then finished up with #600. as i worked the rest down a rectangular hole appeared in the bottom. it is about 1/4" by 3/8". at that point i stopped. i believe yz used a kel-tec rest that he modified to fit the S&W floor plate. ithink the kt rests are solid and the S&W's aren't. the hole is still there with no ill effects. i couldn't get mine as thin as yz's. i think if you go to the "post pics of your p11" there are pics of yz's gun and mine with 12 rnd. mag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts