Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gun fund is filling up again, and I've been looking at the Springfield Armory Micro Compact 1911s. I haven't shot one and can't find a range that has one to rent, so I'm hoping a fellow KTRanger can fill me in on how this 3" 24oz .45ACP performs. I'm guessing it kicks like a mule, but as long as it's reasonably accurate I'd still be happy.

The loaded stainless version is nice, but the parkerized mil-spec version is appealing too. If the gun fund was only bigger....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Since nobody else wants a crack at this...

I dont have a SA 1911, but I do have a Colt Defender 1911 with a 3" bull barrel ( no bushing).

SA's are fine weapons. nuff said.

The Colt Defender with the 3" barrel is VERY EASY to control. I'm 6'1" and only 170 with smaller wrists, and I can unload a 7 rd. magazine quickly keeping on target at ranges out to 10 yards or so. It shoots well out to 25 yrds which is as far as I shoot this little gun.

I carry 230 gr. Hps in mine. Many folks will tell you to go to 185's in the short barrel guns, but thats alot like shooting a .40S&W to me...I stick with the Big Dawgs with no problems!

I do like the "slim profile" wood stocks on the micro guns...it feels better in my hands.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Hey, I carry 230 grain Hydra-Shoks in my "Big Dawg"!
I didn't reply since I've got no experience with the micro-1911s... though I've looked at plenty of 'em.
However... I'm stickin' with the Dawg.
Flyer
P.S. A "Big Dawg" is a Glock 30 .45 .
F.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Save your money and look at a Para-Ordance. Hi-cap magazines, trusted 1911 design, and made in Canada! I've got a buddy who CCW'd everyday with a Para and loves it, some 3000+ rounds later.

G

·
my gun fund has funded itself enough that I am anticipating picking up the Tac-Four from Para-Ordinance. Slim design, double stack mag and it's DAO....and smoooooth too boot. For me it is the best of several worlds. 1911 design, DAO trigger (which is better for me since I have never really carried "cocked and locked") and a proven man stopper! I have always liked the 1911 but in my career I went from cutting my teeth on model 64 revolvers to DA/SA semi-autos to now DAO autos. I am afraid when the SHTF and training kicks in that I will forget to sweep the safety off during stress. This would allow me to essentially carry loaded with the safety off. I am a firm believer in keeping your manual of arms close to how and what you train with. I am happy to report that my new Chief has finally done what the other would not do. He's getting rid of out Smith and Wesson autos and going to the Glock's. I have heard rumors that it will either be the 21 and 30 or the 17 and 19.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P.S. A "Big Dawg" is a Glock 30 .45 .
A "Big Dawg" is on the shopping list too. I just haven't made up my mind which one I'm getting first. So many tough decisions.....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just speaking for reliability & accuracy, I have the Springfield Ultra Compact (double stack version), 3.5" bull barrel, and I've had very few problems with it (though more than with either of my super-reliable KTs). It's also probably the most accurate gun I own at defensive ranges. To echo Berserker, I can empty a (10 round) mag at 7 - 10 yards at high speed with very reliable accuracy, with 230gr ammo, getting 5.5" groups. I'm 5'7", with a beer-keg where I should have a six-pack, and it's still very manageable (partly because the weight contributes to controlling recoil).

The UC in double stack is too heavy to carry frequently, but if not for the weight it would be my primary carry. I've thought long and hard about getting Para-Ord's new super-small CCW piece (don't remember the model# now). My local range has one for rent, and I should really take the time to go shoot it. I handled it once, and it's freakin' tiny, but it fits soooooooooo nice in my hands! Maybe when my gun fund is bigger...

Anyway, to sum up, I don't think you can go wrong with most anything from Springfield, including their smaller 1911's, but don't rule out the idea of looking at any of Para's offerings with the LDA action.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I thought a Glock "Big Dawg" was anything in .45 acp the 21, 30, or 36 since they are all in the Big Dawg forum.

Either way, I have a "Big Dawg" in my Glock G30. Luv it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts