Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across some really small laser diode modules today. They are around the size of a 9 mm shell casing.

I started wondering if I could get another grip for my P3AT and do some modifications to mount the laser on the front, add the batteries into the grip, and put a pressure switch in the backplate unter the Hogue Jr.

The big problem would be making an adjustable mount. I don't really have the right equipmane, and my friend who had a nice little mill in his garage moved away.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If I were you, before I worreid too much about adjustable mounting, I'd verify the module could withstand the recoil impulse without breaking. That is I'd simply attach it to the trigger guard or any other stationery part of the grip as rigidly as possible and shoot a box of ammo with the unit lit. If after 50 rounds it still functioned, then I'd start engineering mounts.

Allan

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Been there, done that!
The problem I've encountered has been with battery life.
I'm still working on mine, but right now it's in the fifteen minute range... NOT acceptable!
Flyer

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's going to last 15 minutes, it's definately not worth the effort. I'll have to see what I can figure out.

What kind of batteries did you use with yours?

·
Registered
205 Posts
let me know what you come up with for a switch...

I've been kinda playing with the idea of using the crimson trace laser grip laser portion from a set of grips for the Ruger MKII, and attaching it to the grip in the same spot that it normally is. I also have the battery situation solved (4 smaller batteries up under the recoil spring guide rod), I have the wires run to the back and a spot for a master on off switch. Now I just need to figure out a good grip switch to get it all together....

Not the cheapest way, but I know the crimson trace laser is good quality, bright, and will hold up to recoil, as well as being adjustable.....

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I've been using hearing aid batteries, the entire unit being mounted on the front of the trigger guard.
I'll post a pic tomorrow when I get my camera back.
Flyer

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well if Duracell isn't lying on their web page, and I'm actually doing the math right, I should be able to get 4 hours out of one of the thin DL2016 Lithium coin cells. I should be able to put two of them in parallel under the grip without it being too noticable.

I guess I'd better figure out how to make the switch.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would like to see KT cast a grip with capability to contain the laser in front of the trigger guard. That would give an area of approx 1"x1"x1/2" to work with. Sorta like the "Pocket Slipper" device, but integrated into the grip itself.

Keep in mind, I know almost as much about lasers as I do computers.

BIGIRON

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After taking another look at the battery specs I don't think I'm going to be able to get much more than an hour of continuous use out of the thing before it kills the battery.

I wouldn't mind using hearing aid batteries, but it doesn't look like they are designed for the current draw that the laser will need. That's probably why they died in 15 min for Flyer.

I've seen the lithium coin cells used with white LED lights, which draw around 1/3 of the current of the laser module, so they have a decent chance of working well.

I'm trying to decide between a touch switch or a mechanical switch. A touch switch would simply be two contacts located somewhere on the grip. When you touch both of them the laser turns on and remains on until you take your hand off of them.

A touch switch wouldn't work when wearing gloves, or if your hands were really dry.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just a thought

I was just reading this post and had a thought for whatever it is worth.
Maybe you could find a nail longer then the guide rod and smooth it and shape it like the guide rod and leave it just a little bit longer so that it sticks out the end of the gun a little, take and thread the part that sticks out so that you can put a nut on it and have it case hardend, maybe this could allow some ideas for attachments.

On the P-11 the guide rod is bigger around, maybe you could drill into the end of the METAL guide rod and tap it for a small screw for attachments.

·
Registered
205 Posts
decent idea, but I don't think it would pan out for the P-11. The guide rod tilts to much under recoil (so much so that both ends hit the barrel)
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/guiderod.htm

I would not think a device attached to the end of the guide rod would live very long....

I have not panned out the details, but one idea for an activation switch I have for the P-11 is for something along the lines of a 1911 grip saftey switch. So that when you grip the gun it activates. Only maybe just a blade in the rear of the grip (kinda like a glock trigger) instead of being the full width of the gun like a 1911 saftey. There is a little bit of room in the rear of the grip where the main spring is (but not a whole lot).

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not to rain on anyone's ideas...Jeff Cooper once said "...any defensive firearm sighting system that requires batteries is an abomination".

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
I've always been an iron sights guy myself... never even used a scope, red dot or otherwise. I have a laser on the rail of my SUB... but just cause it was too cheap to not put there. It's funny how appearances can be decieving tho... when I show my uninitiated friends 2 ARs... they're impressed... but when the SUB comes out and unfolds with the laser on the front... NOW they think they're looking at some super secret agent sniper rifle. Maybe they would think that if I buggered up one one my ARs and mounted scopes and lasers and lights all over IT.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I called Kel-Tec and ordered another P3AT grip to mangle in an attempt to add / integrate the laser sight.

Actually they told me they were available in green and grey, so I had to order one of each to see what color I like best.

Does anyone have pictures of the grey or green grips on a P3AT with a nickel plated slide? I eventually plan on getting mine plated, but haven't gotten around to sending it in yet.

·
Registered
205 Posts
not to disrespect Jeff Cooper or anything, but I would like to have as many useful tools in my bag as possible. I mean WORST case the batteries die, ok now I am no WORSE off than if I did not have the laser... BUT for most of the time when everything is working correctly, I personally can place accurate shots faster. How could this be bad??

I do spend MOST of my time practicing with the irons, but like that I CAN use the laser when appropriate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts