Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my P3AT and have decided to buy two more P32s. One for me, one for my wife, and the old one for range pracice. IMHO .380 is just a bit too powerful for that package. I think it needs to be beefed up a little more, and perhaps get a little longer barrel for better accuracy. In a small caliber pistol (I call anything below 9x19 in size and power "small") bullet placement is everything. With the P32 I can achieve outstanding accuracy out to 15 yards. With the P3AT, I can't achieve anything better than a .357 snubby. (I ain't that hot with 357 in any size.) And while my P32 has been more reliable than anything that small and violent has a right to be, the P3AT has been finicky, unreliable in small and irritating ways, and has been a literal pain in the head.

While many people say that you can protect yourself from the occasional casing hitting your forehead by wearing a baseball cap, I don't wear them regularly, so i don't where them when I practice. I can take the shells in the head, but when they bounce down inside of my glasses, we are talking a whole different ballpark. Any gun that will regularly place burning hot casings inside of my glasses is not an appropriate self defense weapon for me.

So I'm back to the P32. It's more fun to shoot anyway.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The P-32 is a great weapon. Too bad the P-3AT didn't work for you.

It does for me. It's basically the same sized package, with the same trigger pull, and I shoot equally well with it.

Anticipating the extra power may create inaccuracy with some shooters -- as well as shooting technique increases the likelyhood of brass in the forehead.

I'm glad there is an option in calibers, but the .380 in this package is just fine for many shooters. A slightly larger design in single stack 9mm Para would be fine by me!!

G

·
sorry the P3AT didn't work out. I have both and i do miss carrying the P32 at times. I liked the slide lock on the P32 that the P3AT doesn't have. i had a few brass in the forehead at first but you have to keep a tight grip on these little guns. either way if the P32 works better for you than have at it. atleast you are pleased and will continue to carry it. good luck with the 32's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
gazpacho -

My only regret is that you don't live in Louisville. Otherwise I could have bought your P3AT! I'm already shopping for another one though I am going to wait for the right used purchase.

However, I would like to pass this along. I have found that doing simple isometric grip exercises has radically improved my shooting with my P32, P3AT other compact guns, as well as my bowling.

http://martialarts.about.com/library/weekly/aa050703a.htm

I do some of the exercises above when I am in the car stuck in traffic or watching TV (sunday nights only). I also bought an assortment of grip exercisers and have one by each computer in the house and garage (four) as well as one in the car.

I don't exercise my trigger finger seperately, though I understand many competitive shooters do. I have found that the isometrics have strengthened my grip so that I don't have to strain to put a very firm grip on the P3AT which keeps the muzzle down during recoil and keeps that brass from hitting my dome, an especially sensitive area for the bald man! Being able to grip without straining allows me to deliver a firm and consistent pull on the trigger and has greatly improved my accuracy. I am now much more accurate with the P32 and P3AT than I ever hoped to be. Thanks to the sagacious Flyer for this tip!

I should also add: Grip isometrics are very good for reducing stress and are big heart medicine. So, when you exercise your grip you're doing much more than just improving your shooting! You're improving your health!

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

domzilla9 said:
However, I would like to pass this along. I have found that doing simple isometric grip exercises has radically improved my shooting with my P32, P3AT other compact guns, as well as my bowling.
And flyandscuba just happens to have a Glock exercise ball for sale if you are tempted to take up Domzilla9's advice. It's good advice.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yup, I'm a BIG believer in hand exercise!
I've got hand exercisers all over the house, in the car, the bathroom... and also one that you fit over your foream and squeeze and build your forearm and wrist muscles up with at the same time.
I believe there's only 1 way to grip a handgun... tightly.
As tightly as possible, in fact. I've got my hands trained so they automatically go into a deathgrip whenever I pick one up, even if it's just to break down for cleaning.
Flyer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts