Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was the 3" Smith and Wesson .357 that Agent Starling carried on Silence of the Lambs? It was blued and appeared to be FBI issue. I bought a Model 65 3" stainless. I don't think that is what she had (whatever the blued model is).

Regards.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm looking for exactly that gun! If you purchased from a distributor, please let me know the name of it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Been a while since I saw the flick, but I'll give it a whirl.
I think it was an L frame with full underlug and fixed sights. This would make it a Mdl 581. These were not offered with a 3" brl. Only 4 and 6. Discontinued in '92. Perhaps it was a Lew Horton. They're good for odd brl lengths. This recollection is by no means reliable, as age and brain damage have taken their toll.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks more like a blued model 65. I am not sure if the FBI at that time was carrying 357's or 38's. At any rate I have a feeling that it is a 357 in the model number somewhere in the 50 series for Smith and Wesson. I think that I read somewhere that it was a model that was especially made for the FBI. The search continues.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think a blued 65 would be a Mdl 13. They did come in 3" heavy brl with round butt. They are difficult but not impossible to find.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You beat me too it. I am convinced that is it. I am going to start looking on Gunbroker.com. I bought a Model 65 but it is not quite the same as a blued model 13. I have always loved that gun. I think if I could only ever have one revolver that would be the one. In 1991 when I started as an LEO I was issued a Model 64 4". I always liked that gun but would have rather had the Model 65. When we transitioned to the Glocks, I had the opportunity to purchase my duty gun and as many others as I wanted at the time for 150.00. When I went to select mine I found the model 65 with a 3" barrel. It was a Lt.'s gun as there were only about 4-6 in the whole department so I bought that one instead. It is still in mint condition to this day, however my Dad loved it soo much that I gave it to him to keep as a home defense gun. Anyway, I have since left that Department (and my Glock) and switched to another department and......back to the Smith's.

Doomzilla...If I find one I will let you know....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after searching 26 pages of pistols at Gunsamerica.com this is all I found of interest, including one Model 13 that had no picture. I liked the Model 10 and would consider as an alternative. I am not much interested in anything that is nickel as I would rather have stainless steel. I am still looking though, the rare model 13 with 3" barrel and round butt is out there waiting for me somewhere. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the 2.5" barrel version. It is however listed as being sold. I would still rather hold out for a 3" version. Sometime you just can't explain it....you just want what you want.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That 2-1/2 13 is uncataloged. It would be a very rare one if it is factory and not some custom job. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the 3 and give you a heads up.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
It does look too big in that pic...
But, it was the round-butt version, and it says four inches. I KNOW it was the 19, though. Barrel length could be a source typo.
In the novel it was a standard issue three-inch 13 she had to practice with like a maniac. Apparently, Jonathan Demme wanted something a bit bigger.... I'd say that the source I found was wrong, and it was a three-incher.
By the way, izzat for sale? I'm interested!!!
Flyer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
According to Gunsamerica.com the 2.5 inch model 13 was specially made for the FBI. It was not service wide, I think that they may have said it was for a particuliar field office. I am not interestd in that one anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts