Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will you get SMILEY'S by just hand cycling mags of ammo. I have hand cycled a couple mags of 95 gr fmj WWB and some Win. Supreme 95gr. SXT ammo, and did not see any smiley face's.

As a side note the Win. SXT looks to be seated in the case very tight. The way it is seat case, the bullet looks to have a larger dia. then the case making for what loks light a good seat.

Have not had chance to shoot the SXT yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dumb Question

Okay, I know some of you will think this is stupid, but what's a smiley? Until recently, I was a revolver person, and we didn't have them! :wink:

-- Steve

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope, no stupid questions about guns exist!
I USED to say that there were no stupid questions, just stupid answers, about everything... but then I learned better and realized how stupid that was.
Anyhow, here's a good thread that'll pretty much tell you everything (and more) you ever wanted to know about smileys!
Smileys
Flyer

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank You

Flyer --
Now that I know what I'm looking for, I'll check next time I go to the range. Meanwhile, I'll check out your ramp mod. I'm an R/C flier and a model railroader so I'm pretty good with a Dremel. Tnx for the help.

-- Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
No Smileys!

I went to the range today and did the smiley test with good results. The round I ejected had such a small mark, it would be better classified as a scratch than a smiley. The top round in the clip was unblemished. :D I'm shooting Remington 95 gr. MC ammunition.
The only explanantion I can come up with is that my P-3AT is VERY new; serial #H77xx. Maybe Kel-Tec is working on this one.

-- Steve

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
maybe yes and maybe no

moultons,
that would be great news if KT actually has changed something. However, smileys show up worse with a dirty pistol. After firing about 20 or more rounds, the inside back of the slide gets sooty and this added friction drags the top round in the magazine forward more. So then that round gets a bigger hit.
Next time you shoot wait until after about 20 rounds then do the smiley check again. Please let us know. Thanks for your very important observation, 'cause most of us had big smileys with new, clean pistols.
Cheers,
og
(wouldn't it be great if KT fixed the smiley problem, we could all live with just a "scratch". Then all they'd need is to add a slide lock and we'd have the world's best pocket pistol. With the new .380 ammo coming out it could be right up with a 9mm in defense power. Aw, heck, I'm still dreaming.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Smiley Update

oldgranpa --

I went to the range yesterday and put 40 rounds thru it; still, nothing more than a scatch. I did run into a new problem, however: I'm shooting Winchester BEBs now, and they have a flat nose (as opposed to the Remington MCs, which are round nosed). Every time I reloaded, the first round wouldn't chamber when I racked the slide unless I shook it around a bit. Once I started firing, every round fed just fine. Sounds like a ramp problem to me!

-- Steve

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
The ramp angle is a little weird for flat nosed stuff and HPs. You can't hand cycle the slide back and forth. Pull it back and either let it zing forward under it's own spring preassure... or really push it home. If you try to lightly ride it home, you'll likely find yourself hanging on the nose. Even then, a sharp push forward will chamber the round.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep... when that first round wants to hang up, just smack the back of your slide and make it see things your way!
It only does this on manually chambered rounds.
Flyer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.