Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visited a small GS in Lafayette, La today. At least a few of everything KT makes was available. Blued 3AT with several different colored grips were selling for $229. It was VERY tempting but I resisted (for a while longer).

Prices there for used guns were cheap compared to San Antonio. I nearly bought one of two Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Spec @ $175 but then opted for a Bulgarian Mak @ $165. Poor Stupid... I didn't know I couldn't buy handguns in La with a Tx driver's liscense. I figured that was all Federal stuf so what diference should it make.

Oh well... could have had a friend purchase, but I think I'll order an unissued one from Dan's for the same price plus shipping and FFL.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Depending upon the timeframe when the Bulldog was manufactured (early models are good and I'm told recent manufacture is good), it can be a great little powerhouse pistol.

You made the right decision to wait. Best to get something through proper channels rather than commit a crime (yes, having a buddy buy something for you in another state (or even in your home state) is a crime) -- it's called a straw sale.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those bulldogs had nice triggers and fit the hand well. I liked them, but really want a 44 mag. Yea, when things don't work out right, I try to take that as a sign. Sure do want a Mak though.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
One thing about the Bulldogs. They're made by the newly formed Charter 2000 company. If you decide to get one, CHECK IT OUT! Make sure the action works properly, particularly the double action and cylinder lockup.
The new Charters are nicely made guns... but some of them have been lacking in the final fitting department and have to be sent back to the factory for a fix.
Flyer

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This pair was older but I didn't find out how old. Apparently, a lot older is better than a little older? The action seemed good and the cylinders loked up tightly. I don't know if they were the afformentioned early models or the later (crummier) but NOT current ones. I thought $175 was really good.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If it has a tapered barrel rather than a barrel shroud -- it is good.

My stainless one below is a very early model with the tapered barrel and exposed ejector rod.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They were exactly that gun but blued with wooden grips. Was $175 an extraordinary price?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, THAT'S one of the REAL Charter Bulldogs!
The price was very good, but I wouldn't say extraordinary. The gun itself, though, is underpriced in my opinion... they could have asked $100 more for it at the time and it'd have been worth it.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I think I paid $185 for mine -- way back in '84 or '85. It came with the wooden grips, but I put the pachs on there for a little cushion...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts