Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a snap cap in the chamber and pulled the trigger. Now the hammer is forward and the slide can not be racked. :/ I tried pulling the slide back that little bit and removing the retaining pin, but I guess it can't be removed unless the slide is back. Any ideas what happened? What do I do now, and how do I fix it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
In the past, at least a couple of people have experienced the firing pin punching through whatever serves as an impact absorber on their worn snap cap. That may be what happened to you.

With the firing pin jambed into it, the snap cap is pretty hard to extract.

However, there are several other possibilities, including damaged parts in the lower part of the gun.

This is probably worth a call to Kel-Tec for a short conversation about the issue. They may ask that you send it in, rather than risk damaging something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TucsonMTB. The thing is these were brand new caps and not worn. I talked to my local dealer and he was able to pop it lose with a rod against the tip of the cap. Turns out when the factory stamped "9 mm" on the side it became 1,000th out of round. So my guy said he would refund my money and send the caps back to the manufacturer. Geez all I wanted to do was get some trigger time in. So, what brand of caps can I trust to not do that?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have had good luck with A-Zoom brand, aluminum snap caps.

The aluminum rims tend to wear a bit, if you cycle them frequently. But, otherwise I am pleased.

I bought mine at my local gun shop. Cabela's also carries them A-Zoom Aluminum Snap Caps and Training Rounds : Cabela's

Like this picture, mine only have stampings in the head stamp area where it is unlikely to create a problem.

Your dealer might want to carry them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is actually interesting to me as I've just found the PF-9 I am purchasing. I will definitely be looking for some trigger time and was planning on buying some Snap Caps anyway.

I'm going to check around to see if anyone close by has these, but for general information, what should I look for? I've seen some described as having a rubber or similar type of primer area which they say will not leave a mark on the cap itself and still protects the firing pin. Others didn't really describe that well.

Any thoughts and advice are welcome!

Peter

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you don't find the A-Zoom brand locally, just order them. A Google search will show you lots of suppliers. I included a link to Cabela's because they are reliable as on-line merchants go . . .

Best of luck. But, you won't need much. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts