Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for the front of the hood to hit the top of the barrel. It is at the point that you or the recoil cause the two parts to smack together that it appears to be a bind. I am sure that the recoil is sufficient enough to overcome this but I really noticed it when I was cleaning it today. Could this be the casue of the FTE problems (combined with grip problems). Can I use the dremel to trim this down a bit or should I just live with it?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, it's normal.
You could polish it out... but it's not likely to cause any functional problems. I've polished the barrel hoods of all my 3ATs to a mirror shine, and each one is marred again the very next time it's fired! I've given up on keeping a super-shiny finish there...
Wouldn't worry about it affecting performance, though.
Flyer

·
Registered
4 Posts
i'm having a similar problem...i have noticed that the front of the chamber seems to hit the slide..it has left a ridge...i too am tempted to just file off the problem and go on...the gun has worked great. i have about 350 rounds thru it and no problems....really dependable...i dont know if this is a problem or not...i sent the pic to kel tec and asked them about it...any comments would be appreciated....

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it.
It's a bit of battering caused by the barrel being yanked out of battery from the slide... it seems to be common.
Just keep 'er clean and happy!
Flyer

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks flyer....would you file down the ridge that has been pushed up? seems like that would make it work a bit better?

thanks

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope, I'd leave the ridge alone.
You run the risk of ruining barrel lockup... which is something you DON'T wanna do!
Flyer

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had similar wear on my S&W Sigma 9mm & Ruger P89. It seems to be common on many pistols that use the Browning locked breech design...at least the ones that I have owned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i emailed a photo of the problem to keltec and they said that it was a problem with the hardness of the slide and barrel and they said to send it back for replacement. its on its way. hate to be without my mousegun but keltec is being very good about fixing it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recieved my new slide/barrel back from kel tec today....havent had a chance to shoot it yet but it seems to be a bit better finished than my original....barrel seems to be a bit smoother..anyway, i am very satisfied with kel tec's attitude and service, and its really nice to get my carry gun back..hopefully they will soon get all the bugs out of the p3at as its a really comfortable carry gun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I often wondered if that was not the cause of my FTF's and FTE's with my P3AT. Thought it might be possible that if the velocity of the slide was affected that it could lead to the above mentioned problems. I think i'll send mine back to them and see if it fixes anything. The "connection" between the two surfaces is most noticable when hand cycling the slide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.