Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Norinco SKS. I was looking at one Friday. It has the 16 inch barrel with no bayonet lug. Price is $125 but I should be able to get it for $100. All numbers are matching on stock, bolt, receiver. Overall in very good/excellent shape. Any info or first hand experience?

·
Registered
44 Posts
GRAB THAT PUPPY

excuse the caps but thats a good deal i have a pre-ban norinco that is like new with box unfired that i paid 250.00 for i know thats a little high but it came with 4 30rnders and all the extras chest pouch cleaning kit etc.. anyway i had one years ago when they were cheap and sold it so i wanted a duplicate...anyway get it and love it. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like what most people call a "SKS SPORTER" or "PARATROOPER"....

Does it take AK-47 detachable magazines or the standard "USA" type sks mags?

Does it have a thumbhole wood stock?

If it takes AK mags, and has the thumbhole stock, then its a SKS type 'D'...these guns were only imported for like 2 years, and bring around $400 at gun shows. I have one..and know where another is for sale.

Either way, if it is in decent shape and works - its easily worth $125 or so... even the Yugo's are bringing over $150 now!

I'd buy it!!!!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have a Norinko SKS. It's pretty much stock, nothing fancy, and accepts AK mags. I bought a few accesories including a Chinese scope apprently made for it. I've never installed it. Shooting with the open sites it's remarkably accurate. The ammo is readily available and cheap. It kicks a little. All I've ever shot in it is Wolf and some other Russian stuff. I bought it from a gangbanger-type walking around with it at a gunshow a few years ago. He was trying to trade it on a pistol or something, but the dealers were only offering him $90. I bought it for $100 cash.

It is a fun shooter, great for plinking, varmit shooting or even deer hunting. I bought a 5-round magazine to make it legal for hunting when I bought the scope. Mine still has the bayonet lug and a strap. I think I picked up a bayonet a few years ago but have never messed with it. If we're ever invaded, I think I can hold my yard. This reminds me, I need to shoot it. Buy it! I can't see how you could be disappointed.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I can't shoot an SKS, as i am a lefty, and the spent brass would hit me in the face, then roll down my shirt--but, it sounds like a good deal-- get it!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm a lefty and I own 3 SKS's. I shoot them regularly.
I've even bumped them from the shoulder.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I bought the SKS Monday. Got it all apart and cleaned it up nice. Had to pay the whole $125 for it. But...... I went back into the shop Tuesday to see what was new and the owner says the feds were in Monday night looking for it. The guy that pawned it in was up to no good and they wanted it for evidence. After all that cleaning didn't even get to shoot it. Well ,maybe a little. When I got home I ran 40 rounds through it before bringing it back. Shot real nice.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sooo I ended up with this one. Just cleaned it up and should hurry up and shoot it....... Liked the other one alot better. :cry:

·
Registered
68 Posts
cleaning

how bad was it to strip apart and clean? my local shop has some, but they are covered, and I do mean covered w/ grease. I guess thats how they stored them.
I don't know much about taking them apart?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I know a local dealer that has the Yugo's for $90 but I don't want to go all the way to Prescott. The Yugo's are some of the best SKS. With Night sights, Grenade sights, Grenade launcher/Recoil reducer, and gas cut off switch you have one of the most versatile sks ever made. You got a good deal too btw. I have had many versions, but back in the 90's I got on a "American only guns" kick, and sold most of the others. Oh well that phase went by and now I own many types again, just never got another SKS. Guess I am going to have to break down and get one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: cleaning

garyz said:
how bad was it to strip apart and clean? my local shop has some, but they are covered, and I do mean covered w/ grease. I guess thats how they stored them.
I don't know much about taking them apart?
Wasn't that bad at all. I used this site http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/thesksshooter.htm
Wouldn't mind getting another one or two for the price. I think they are pretty nice rifles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts