Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get tired of having to hold your SU-16? Wish that there was provision for a sling? Well, I did -- and found a solution.

The KT sling (part# SUB-230A) for the Sub2K will work on the SU-16 as a sort of single point tactical rig and costs a whopping $10.

Remove the top screw on the left side of the magazine well and replace it with the KT sling swivel and replacement screw. Secure the sling swivel pointing at the 2 o'clock position. Attach the sling as a loop.

Place the sling over your head and under your right armpit. The SU-16 will comfortably rest in a muzzle-down attitude at the mid-chest level (when adjusted for your body type/frame). The rifle can be steadied at the ready in this position and quickly drawn up to a modified shooting position (butt resting on the right upper arm rather than against the shoulder).

This set up works best with an illuminated reticle sight -- such as the ATN Ultra Sight Digital that I have attached in the photos -- allowing both eyes to be open for quick pointing and target acquisition.

It isn't perfect, but beats carrying your SU-16 in your hands all day, requires no permanent alterations to your weapon -- can be performed with a screw driver, and you can't beat the price!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New SU-16 Sling in the works...

This was posted in the news section of the KT website:

Coming Soon: Sling for SU-16 rifle. The sling will attach to a modified forend axis and the lower reciever screw, although the rear attachment point can be moved to any of the screws in the buttstock as well. Expected availability march 2004. (posted 1-6-2004)

·
Registered
23 Posts
For a regular tac sling the Leapers tactical sling works great on my SUB2K, and would work fine on the SU-16 as well. They are available at www.sportsmansguide.com , for $10. Good ammo prices, too. :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
flyandscuba said:
Get tired of having to hold your SU-16? Wish that there was provision for a sling? Well, I did -- and found a solution.

The KT sling (part# SUB-230A) for the Sub2K will work on the SU-16 as a sort of single point tactical rig and costs a whopping $10.

Remove the top screw on the left side of the magazine well and replace it with the KT sling swivel and replacement screw. Secure the sling swivel pointing at the 2 o'clock position. Attach the sling as a loop.

Place the sling over your head and under your right armpit. The SU-16 will comfortably rest in a muzzle-down attitude at the mid-chest level (when adjusted for your body type/frame). The rifle can be steadied at the ready in this position and quickly drawn up to a modified shooting position (butt resting on the right upper arm rather than against the shoulder).

This set up works best with an illuminated reticle sight -- such as the ATN Ultra Sight Digital that I have attached in the photos -- allowing both eyes to be open for quick pointing and target acquisition.

It isn't perfect, but beats carrying your SU-16 in your hands all day, requires no permanent alterations to your weapon -- can be performed with a screw driver, and you can't beat the price!

Enjoy!
How did you order that sling?? I would love one for 10 [email protected][email protected][email protected]!! :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
flyandscuba said:
I'm interested in the ATN Ultra Sight Digital you are using! I checked the product's website and it didn't really explain what the sight's benefits were or how it worked. Does it magnify the image? Why would somebody prefer to buy this sight rather than a modestly-priced scope?

Excuse the questions but I'm new to all optical sights and I know the least about yours.

PS I purchased and just installed the sling you recommended, but haven't used it in the field yet. For $10 it appears to be a very satisfactory solution.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The ATN sight is what's known as a "Reflex" sight. Unlike a standard red-dot scope, you have a large, rectangular hood you look through, with a red "reticle" projected onto it.
They are amazingly fast for target aquisition; just bring the rifle up with both eyes open, settle the reticle on target, and fire. They're also waterproof and usually are equipped with a variety of reticle styles. They do NOT magnify, however: they're mostly used at the same distances iron sights are... but they're a VAST improvement.
Another great option is a Bushnell Holo-Sight. This is a more compact set-up, using an actual laser instead of a red led to create a hologram of the reticle inside the hood that appears to be three-dimensional, floating on the exact same plane as the target. While serving the same basic purpose of the ATN, the Holo-Sight is advantageous in that it can be used from ANY position you hold the rifle and can still see through the hood... for instance, injured on your back, with only your gun arm functioning. You could lay the rifle along your knee, look through the hood from that distance, and hit your target with the same accuracy as if you were firing from the shoulder. To me at least, this is a quality that puts the Holo-Sight a step ahead of the ATN type.
In addition, the holographic reticle is EXTREMELY sharp; it literally looks like a solid, bright, material object, rather than an illusion.
Either one is great, though, and the prices aren't TOO far apart... around $90 between the best of the two (Holo-Sight being the more expensive).
Here's where I've gotten all my sights of this type, and I still consider one of the best sources in the business, Cabelas:
ATN Sight
Holo-Sight
Flyer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts