Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took "my little friend" with me to the range last night. First time firing it since I installed the Bersa extension and the Hogue Handall Jr. HEY! Waddya know, my hands aren't bruised and sore today!YAHOOOOOOOOO! My shot has greatly improved, I think due to the extension. I now have all fingers on the gun and it has greatly stabilized it. I only took one brass to the forehead, so even that improved - lol.

Okay now, for the more advice part. I've caught the dang gun bug. I now want a target/plinking gun. Was looking at the Baby Eagle but don't want to continue thinking small for a target gun. Someone turned me onto the Walther P22 Target (5"). I shot it last night and I LOVE IT. Hell, it even made an appearance in my dreams last night (that tells me a lot). Does anyone here one and/or do they have any feedback on them. The gun store owner told me about a Browning Buckmark Micro and another about a Ruger KMK4. Now my head is swimming with info - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. So any advice you can give is greatly welcomed. By the way, my shooting was HOT last night. Even with the P3AT. A hot shot at the range was giving me some pointers last night (don't think dirty) and let me fire his Kimber .45. HOT DAMN! He was laughing, my grouping with that was was all in a 2" area. I think I surprised him not to mention myself. Just dont' think I want to lay down 1,000.00 on a gun when I'm a beginner. So anyways, you guys always give me good advice, I'm waiting to hear what you have to say about the P22.

Katy

·
Registered
205 Posts
if you want a range target fun gun, I'd say a .22 is the way to go (cheap ammo, and they last a long time).

I went with a Ruger MKII. I love that thing! They are perfectly fine stock, but there are lots of ad ons for these as well (I now have a Red dot, new sear and extractor, and added a pretravel stop).

I also have some instruction stuff on Rugers on my site:
http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/index.htm

and here is a great site for info on them (they also do an informal shooting league that is fun)
http://www.markii.org/forum/

this is just the one I picked:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Katy,
Yep, Rugers are great.
You mentioned you loved the P-22, though. That's the main thing, right there! If you really liked it and shot it well, by all means pick one up... it's the one for you!
I've got the standard version and it performs very well. There was an initial problem with the magazines, but that's fixed... just be sure to get a brand-new one. Otherwise, they're very nice guns!
Flyer

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a browning buckmark which is a great shooting gun and it is my wife's favorite. Having said that my father has the ruger competition model with a red dot and that is incredibly accurate and in my opinion the best built .22 available. The good news is that every gun that you mentioned is very good and you won't be disappointed with any of them. Buy the one that you like and shoot best. You can't go wrong.

Sub2k

·
Registered
42 Posts
Katy,

You picked a good caliber for plinking!

As stated above, I think you made some good choices re: firearms. My preference is seen below. Bought it for wife but she has yet to shoot it. Should cost you no more than $250 + tax for new gun with two magazines.

Good luck in your search.

ppmd

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I made up my mind. I pick up my P22 on Tuesday. Could of gotten it on Friday, but the sheriffs dept close till tuesday and I did not have time to get my purchase permit. I downloaded the users manual and I'm ready for "him". I got military green in the 5" barrell. I'm SOOOOOOOOOO excited. I'll drop a pic on Tuesday night after I get it. I went to another gun store and was just looking. Gun asked what I wanted and I told him I was looking at the Ruger and Browning 22's. He said "if you want a fantastic .22, let me show you this" LOL, it was the P22. That just sealed it for me, along with the other comments you guys told me. Hubby said since I'm getting a new gun, he gets to buy a new scope. Hummmm, as long as it keeps him out hunting, I can be out shooting at the range - ITS A DEAL! lol.

Take care guys and thanks.

Katy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Katy,

Fantastic! Excellent choices on the grip, Bersa magazine floor plate, and P22.

ppmd - who can't wait until his wife shoots the P22.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Katy,

I bought a P22 for Christmas. Shot it. Cleaned it. Shot it again. Cleaned it again and put it up for sale. Do a google search on P22 reviews, and you will see a VERY mixed bag. My P22 was VERY picky on ammo, something I have never seen a .22 do before. If you check page 6 of the manual, it states that you should only use high velocity ammo. When using ammo of insufficient velocity, the gun will fail to feed the first 2 or 3 rounds in the magazine. When talking with Walther USA many people have been told that the gun was designed to shot .22 Mini Mags.

The Ruger MkII is a great gun, although taking it apart is a bit of a chore.

The Ruger Bearcat or Single Six is a great .22 revolver.

Might I suggest a 357 magnum with a 3 or 4 inch barrel? You can plink with 38 Special. Shot single action, it can be a surprisingly accurate weapon. Then when you need it for personal protection, you can load up with full power 357 mag. Also Revolvers are VERY easy to clean.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Gazpacho. I think I'm pretty firm with the decision for the P22. I did review as many postings of the P22 as I could find. I did see some issues (what gun doesn't have some issue). I've shot it and really enjoy it. The funny thing, the gun store/range that I test fired it at set me up with standard velocity .22 LR ammo. I did not have any trouble with them at all, although, when I fire mine, I will only high velocity as the users manual dictates. The ammo I used was CCI. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed that I get a good one like "my little friend" the P3AT. I will be acquiring a revolver from my Fathers estate soon, so I will play with that as well, but want to make sure I do most of my shooting with a mag. as my carry gun (P3AT) is a mag as well and I want to make sure I'm crisp with what to do in case of a jam if I need to use it quickly. Well, anyhow, thanks again Gaz.

Katy

·
Registered
15 Posts
..haven't jump in for a while but since this thread is all over the place I thought I'd throw my two cents in..

About the revolver, I have to 2nd that thought exactly. I started out with a Ruger .22 and have a couple of 9mm including my P-11 (which is working flawlessly since I have gotten new springs in my mags). But my latest love is my Ruger 4" .357 Stainless Steel revolver. Beauty and a Beast. Way more accurate than the 9mms I own, and packs a kick even with 38 specials.

I think it is a natural evolution. Mark my words, Katy, you will be going there. :D

-kl

·
Registered
15 Posts
..haven't jump in for a while but since this thread is all over the place I thought I'd throw my two cents in..

About the revolver, I have to 2nd that thought exactly. I started out with a Ruger .22 and have a couple of 9mm including my P-11 (which is working flawlessly since I have gotten new springs in my mags). But my latest love is my Ruger 4" .357 Stainless Steel revolver. Beauty and a Beast. Way more accurate than the 9mms I own, and packs a kick even with 38 specials.

I think it is a natural evolution. Mark my words, Katy, you will be going there. :D

-kl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts