Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the P-11s sighted in at the factory? My rear sights is way off to the right in the dovetail so that can't be right. What should I use to adjust this? Is this easy to move? Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I don't believe the sights are regulated at the factory.
It's a simple matter to lightly tap them to one side or another using a short length of dowel rod or unsharpened pencil, then use Loc-Tite to "lock" them in place when they're zeroed.
Flyer

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dont think they are. My rear sight had plastic csating flash on it. Maybe if I spend the $80 for night sights they may be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And that leads to my next question....

Who makes the night sights for Kel-Tec? I would assume they are metal..

I also noticed alot of spare plastic on the rear sights and also the fornt sight. I think the front sight needs to pushed in father also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tritium Night Sights

Has anyone had the Tritium night sights put on there P-11 ? How do you like them ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had the factory install the night sights back in May. They are much easier to see in daylight then the dots were, and at night they are very visible. Easy to see the P-11 lying on the night stand. Well worth the $80, in my opinion. (By the way, I drove over to Cocoa and they installed them while I waited).

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
The rear sights on my P-11 were shipped offset to the right and had to be pushed to center with considerable force. I used a doubled up rag for padding and a pair of pliers to finally get the sights to move. Same thing on my two P-40 slides. Now I have them all properly aligned.

I bought some small Testors paintbrushes and a small bottle of orange day glo paint at Wal Mart. I painted the rear sight dots with the orange paint to give a better contrast to the white front sight. For me it really makes for a faster aquisition of the sights, and helps me to be able to line them up even without my glasses. I practice with my glasses mostly at the range, but I also use just plain shooting goggles to see how I would do if surprised by a bad guy and I wasn't wearing my glasses, which is highly likely when I'm just walking around. The orange paint helps a lot.

Best regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Night Sights question

As my aging eyes need all the help they can get, is there any advantage at all in having night sights installed when my primary use will be daytime plinking? Are they as bright, or less bright than the standard white dots? The problem I'm having is the shock of the recoil jars the "white dot" off the front sight. I can always re-apply, and have, but I would prefer the front dot (night sights or standard) to stay put. Also, my slide stop is extremely hard to release. Any suggestions? I called Cust. Service and they said it will free up with use (but if not would be happy to fix it free), so has anyone had any experience with this problem? For what it's worth, I've had (or have) Belgian Browning Hi Powers, Glock 26, Sig p239, S/W 3914, and I like my new P11 as well as any of them, and better than most. It's like twice the pistol at half the price. The only place I find the P11 deficient is accuracy at distances more than 7 yards or so. But, it wasn't designed as a target pistol, so I'm very satisfied with the accuracy at self-defense range. :D

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
PX15,
Night sights aren't much different than any other during daytime shooting. In fact, some brands can be less visible than normal three-dot sights, since the "dot" isn't solid, but rather a ring.
Personally, I only put night-sights on guns I fully INTEND to use as defensive guns in a MAJOR way. Right now, that means I've only got two guns so equipped at present... a Les Baer 1911, and a Glock 30 .45. These I consider primary "battle pistols", to be used under any and all circumstances. My other pistols that DID have night sights have had them swapped out for adjustables.
With a pistol like the P-11, where it's use is more limited in scope, I believe night sights would be necessary only if you really, really wanted them. The standard sights should do just fine, and somewhere there's a paint that'll stay on that front sight!
Re the slide stop: It's pretty much intended to be stiff, and not used as a thumb release at all. Standard practice is to simply retract the slide and release, rather than thumb the release. It will loosen up over time and become usable as a thumb release, however, or you can always take some fine sandpaper to it and the accompanying slide groove and loosen it up yourself.
Flyer

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the factory night sights installed because the plastic rear sight was loose. I was able to remove it with just thumb pressure. Besides, I like the fact that the night sights are metal. I find the dots to be more visible than the white dots that would not seem to stay on the plastic ones. :lol:
Thanks,

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts