Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After participating in a "camping gun" thread on KTOG (that included a discussion on bears), I find that I have just purchased the beast depicted below. I now need some advice for a sight/scope for the critter. I was thinking of a red dot sight, but a scope might be more appropriate?

I can't wait to put one of the 400gr Cor-bon loads in this thing! At 1675 fps and 2500 ft/lbs. I wonder if I can take shooting it -- even with the integrated compensator?

What am I going to use this for, you might ask? Well, the next time I go bear hunting in N. Georgia, this will be my hunting arm. In addition, when I make my "adventure" flight up to Alaska this coming summer I'd like to have it in the cockpit in case I make a forced landing. However, I may have to go with the Ruger .44 carbine instead -- not sure what the Canadians would say about the handgun if they discovered it during one of my refueling stops...

Oh, in case you haven't seen one of these before, it is the 500 S&W Magnum.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
That is a big gun. I saw a couple of them and those are HUGE
the bullets. Looks like the length of a shotgun shell almost

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No one has an opinions or suggestions on what scope or sight to use on this type of weapon....?

I guess I will be at the mercy of the salesperson at one of my gunshops...

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
NOOOOO!
NEVER let the salesperson be your guide!!!
I haven't responded 'cause I can't get my mind around a handgun this big or powerful... but mention of a salesperson brought me around!
Well... It seems as if your primary concern is bear hunting/protection.
In this situation, I'd go with a GOOD red dot sight. You want something that's really fast to aqquire: it'd be tough to pick up a charging Grizzly through a scope!!!
This is where a Bushnell Holo-Sight would really be interesting... the design is smaller now, and it would look really neat perched up there. Plus, no need to even sight in a normal fashion; just hold the gun so you can see the laser reticle, put it on target, and squeeze the trigger!
Bullseye!!!
Flyer

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would make sure whatever you choose is built to handle heavy recoil.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
s&w

OH MY GAWD, when you shoot that thing you're going to look like a WINDMILL! be sure to have someone nearby with a camera. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd think a set of big dots on that sucker would work well, especially since you're probably not going to be shooting over 50 yards or so at bear right?

http://expresssights.com/handgun_sights.html

bd

And they won't leave a bad mark on your forehead.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thought you might want to see the slight muzzle blast...

Just a little muzzel blast when firing the 500 S&W Magnum!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Ahem...
Well, for all intents it appears as if you've NUKED everything in front of the muzzle!
Why bother with sights??? :mrgreen:
Flyer

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
wow

fly, take it back. those ninnies sold you a flamethrower! :D

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you have any thoughts of using this hand cannon for defense against bears in Alaska, I'd steer away from Red Dots as you have to turn them on before they work, don't you? I can see it now, the bear's charging and Scuba holds up his hand to the bear and everything comes to a screeching halt while he turns on the dot... they're great for target shooting and hunting, but worse than useless in defensive situations.

Personally I'd go with either iron sights or a scope with no greater than 2x magnification. I screwed up and put a 4x on my .44Mag and have regretted it ever since. At hand gun ranges you don't need the magnification nearly as much as you need the field of view.

Allan

·
Registered
87 Posts
If the bears in N.georgia see or hear that thing go off they'll just surrender, there won't be no huntin' to it.

bd

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry for the double post, I got an error the first try, so I did it again and it posted again.

I get a lot of errors here.

bd

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
georgia bears

those georgia bears will be wintering over in southern ohio! none left south of the ohio river. fly had better not touch that off within 100 mis. of the trans alaskan pipeline or there will be a conflagration. :D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Birdman,

I had the same thoughts myself. With the integrated rail mount, I'll put on the ATN red dot I have now for hunting -- like two weeks from now when I'll be on the ground in the Big Cypress swamp looking for a trophy Boar.

I'll take the red dot off when carrying it as an anti-bear defense arm.

Also, I thought about getting a red dot with a 1" tube and using see-through rings so the iron sights could be used as well.

Hey, did you guys notice that big 1/2" diameter bullet captured in flight at the outside edge of the muzzle blast?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You guys that are afraid of recoil should love this gun. Its very soft shooting for what it is. Its a mid pressure load and its that punishing to shoot. A hot 454 Casull is worse just for comparison. The BFR 45-70 Maxine with hot reloads is worse than the Casull.............
To each his own.
BTW Im 5'9" and 165 lbs.....I shoot them with no problem.
Shoot well........

1 - 20 of 31 Posts