Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this not to say the PM9 is better than any other short barrel 9mm, but just because I have one and decided to see what it would do with standard pressure JHP ammo. So here is my review.....

Finished the hollowpoint tests with my Kahr PM9 using my "unballistic" newpaper wetpacks. A photo is attached for your ammusement, not to be considered 'certified' data for choosing what to carry in your short barrel pistol.
The penetration was about equal in all cases, 7 - 8" in the wetpack which meets minimum for standard pressure ammo. (Wetpack penetration is about 2/3 what gelatin gets.) Two wetpacks were used and averages are based on 5 rounds of each ammo.
The Golden Saber was kinda strange with the main expansion being the brass jacket petals with the lead sticking up like a flower blossom. The jacket on the GS is heavy brass and is almost half the weight of the bullet. I bent the petals out on one bullet and they reach to over 7/8"!! This would make a large wound as the petals opened. The other brands have only a thin copper jacket and the petals tear off in some cases. No petals broke off on the GoldenSabers.
The biggest surprise was the Winchester 115gr. 'Personal Protection' USA white box. I was really impressed with the expansion and penetration of this low cost ammo. For $11 at WalMart you get 50 rounds, which is cheaper than the $15 I paid for 25 rounds of GoldenSaber. And the Federal is $12 for a box of 20.
The Federal 135gr. 'Personal Defense' also looks very good with consistent expansion and penetration from all rounds fired.
I'm not too impressed with the Speer 124gr., penetration was 8+" but low expansion. The Speer 124+p GoldDot does better in my G19 but I didn't test it in the PM9.

For personal carry in the PM9 any of the first 3 rounds look good. I'll probably carry a mix of all 3.

Cheers,
og

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
ammo tests

og, what a timely post. i have a box of 115 gr. win pp that i bought by "mistake". you've made me as happy as the proverbial clam. :D

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
follow-up tests with a Ruger

Here are some very limited tests with a Ruger P95 to compare with the PM9 above.
A friend had a round of "police" ammo used by the local LEO's and kept bothering me to test it in the wetpack. I agreed if we could use his pistol since the round was marked Federal +p+.
I ain't shooting no +p+ in my pistols. I think the ammo number is P9HS3G1, anybody know if that makes sense?
So I fired a few other rounds to compare with the police round.
As far as I'm concerned the +p+ failed miserably (for civilian use). Reason, the velocity is too high for plain wet paper and comes apart. The FBI uses 4 layers of denim in their tests and also must pass other barrier tests that we may never encounter. That will slow a hot bullet down and still get expansion and penetration in gelatin.
But bare gelatin, wetpaper, waterjugs...it's gonna fragment.

So, if you live down south here, ain't nobody wearing 4 layers of denim. And most BG looking characters are goin round with only a t-shirt. Don't think getting some "police" ammo is going to help you. Based on this unballistic test, it's crap for what we might ever need it for. Stick to the basics and use the best factory ammo available.

Sorry, I didn't include a Speer 124gr+p round, it does good in my Glock and that's the hotest round I'll use.

og.......this'll be my last test for awhile, vacations and all that.

Don't come unglued over the penetration numbers. Wet paper gives only 2/3 that of gelatin. So multiply by 3 and divide by 2 to get a better idea. A minimum of 7" in wetpaper is what I require for ammo I carry.

G

·
Once again OG another EXCELLENT post and again, Thank You. Everytime that I read one of your test I learn more and more and end up finding out that some of the conventional wisdom that I have come to absorb is sometimes "debunked". I am cuirios though, my department issues us Federal 147gr sub sonic, hi-shock ammo, any chance that you could test some of that. I may even have 1/2 to 3/4 of a box around here that I could send you to test. Rumor has it that we are switching to the Remington GS 124gr +p in September. I just thought that these 2 rounds were at opposite ends of the spectrum and for me anyway would make an interesting comparison. (possibly something to show to the powers that be to give them more of a reason to never consider switching back).

Have fun on your vacation....

Regards..

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good stuff...

norf,
I've heard good reports on both the 147gr load and the 124gr+p. Just don't let anybody tell you to use +p+ stuff.

Making a wetpack is easy. You would be happier testing the ammo with your own pistol. Then it would mean something to you.

Go for it!!

og

G

·
OG, can you post the "receipe" for the wet pack? How many papers, soak time, etc... Also, do you bind them together with anything? Years ago when I was a Deputy Sheriff our range staff used wet phone books to test 9mm ammo. The 147gr +p Golden Sabre eventually beat everything out to be carried in our Glock 19 pistols.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wetpack thread

norf,
new thread posted for wetpack recipe.
og

1 - 8 of 8 Posts