Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a used S&W 669 about a month ago. just returned from range. what a nice gun and more accurate than i can shoot. 24 rnds at 7 yds. and 24 at 10 yds. polished ramp and it was trouble free. hard to believe how well i shot it. seriously considering using it for ccw qualification. a little large for ccw carry tho. more accurate than my mak or p11 at least for me. :D

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

will have to take it to friend to get picture. just a couple days. :D

G

·
Been carrying a 5946 since 99 and a 6906 before that. They are heavy and when they get old they tend to loose their tolerances but when they are on their game, they are nice. My 6906 had to be retired. Over 16,000 rounds and the aluminum alloy eventually lost it's ability to keep the slide tight. Although, we had several end up that way. I don't think that Smith and Wesson intended for US to get ahold of their weapons. We shoot 10x more than any other department in the area and probably more than most. We probably average 5-7 thousand rounds per recruit in a 7 month academy. Anyway, the rumor is that we are switching to the Glocks. This will be nice, especially for those of us in the Detective Bureau. I bought my first duty gun, a Smith revolver model 65 .357 for 155.00 when my last department swithced to Glocks in 1993. My dad has it now and will probably never let it go. For him it is his most prized possession. Most parents keep their childrens first booties or pacifier, my father kept my pistol! Good thing I kept my first baseball glove, that will go to my son.........and my first .22 rifle. Like father.....like son.. :wink:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
knew nothing about this gun when i bought it. was offered to me by a fellow recently laid off from his job. i brought it home and called a friend who is a retired leo who carried S&W as a duty gun. told him i had it and he was going to have show me how to take it apart. when i went to his house he pulled a 669 from the safe he had purchased as an off duty gun. mine is the only other one he has ever seen. not sure of the weight but would guess in the 27 oz range. i estimate under 500 rnds. fired. the ramp wasn't even marked. as i understand it this model was mfg from 1985 to 1988. don't know why it was discontinued. i attribute accuracy to the sights and trigger in my case. rear sight is black with a white outline at sides and bottom while the front is an angled ss integral ramp with a red line running top to bottom. have only fired it at an indoor range where lighting isn't that great. the ammo was WW value pack. don't care for the safety/decocker setup as it is opposite from all the other pistols i own and will take some getting used to. an added bonus is two 12 rnd S&W mags that also fit my p11. cdnn is now selling them at 39.99. i cycled the trigger at least 500 times on a snap cap before taking it to the range. d action is smooth and s action very crisp. recoil is negligible and double taps a lot quicker than with p11, mak or 1911.

i grew up in the era when revolvers were the handgun of choice. i wouldn't trade my S&W mod. 19 for anything. the 1911 now lives at my oldest son's house and the army furnishes my youngest son's weapons. guns seem to dissappear and re-appear here during hunting seasons and dibs are already being made on particular guns. talk about a pair of vultures, they can't even wait for me to get cold! i do enjoy their interest now as teen years didn't include any thing that couldn't be thrown, hit, kicked, lifted, jumped on or bounced. i never had an interest in handguns, my passion was shotguns. i,ll post a picture as soon as possible.

G

·
Smith and Wesson stopped making it because it was a second generation auto and was replaced by the third generation 6904 and 6906. As I remember it was the first of the compact hi-cap auto series for smith. Extremely popular in it's day as it became the off duty choice for those of us that had the all steel 659's and for some it was a viable choice for a duty/off duty gun as well. I can't remember if that model number was the stainless of the blued version. Nice thing is, is that it will handle the hi-cap mags. Did you get some pre-ban 12 rounders with it? They are a nice carry piece. Might want to have a Smith armorer guage it for you and check the springs. I carried a 659 for years and after having it sit for a few years had a friend of mine give it the once over. Turned out that a few of the internal springs had corroded in the channels. The gun still shot fine just needed to have the springs replaced, the channels champfered and he even threw in some night sights. I should add though that this pistol was carried on the east coast right on and near the ocean. The salt air here was hard on the smiths.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.