Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the S & W 15 rd mags in their P-11?? I picked one up from my local gun shop ( I did bring my P-11 in to try the fit. It did fit quite tight and the guy said, "well you can probably work in it") hearing that I was sold. Once home, I realized the mag did not quite seat propery up into the mag well, unless you really smacked it hard. (it was scraping the inside of the slide up front by the barrel, Left side.) I did some filling and minor bending on the mag and it seats fine now, but then I realized the follower doesn't rise up high enough into the mag well to engage the slide lock. I couldn't bend the mag anymore or it wouldn't seat properly so I did some filling on the follower and now it does rise up enough and locks the slide back. I have not test fired it yet but plan on cycling some snap caps tonight. Is this the norm for these mags? Anyone else encounter this? I only want to use this mag for fun and not CCW.

Thanks.
SKB

·
Registered
205 Posts
is it a real S&W mag? (that is made BY S&W not just FOR a S&W)

mags made by other makers for the S&W have been hit or miss, but usually can be made to work.

All of my 12 and 15 rounders have not required anything but wolff 10% extra power springs to function well in my P-11 (which I should mention also has the Wolff 10% extra power recoil spring).

I will add though that I did thin the tops of a few followers on my 12 rounders so that the follower would travel higher up in the mag when it was empty. This was so that they would eject all the way out when I pressed the mag release (the follower could go higher in the mag which pushed the mag down more when I hit the button).

if you squeezed the feed lips together though I would expect it not to feed well, as that would point the rounds downward to much...

Also don't be surprised if they need new springs to function reliably in your P-11. These mags are all 10 yrs old, and so may be the springs which don't last forever.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is a real S & W mag. I did check for that and know other "copies" may not work. I did notice a big differance in the spring (compared to the original P-11 mag) it was MUCH lighter. I tried to streach it out a bit, but sounds like the Wolff springs are the way to go. I also have problems with it poping free when I hit the mag release. Now I have to pull it out. Better talk to Wolff.
Thanks. YZ. This helps a bunch.

SKB

·
Registered
205 Posts
sometimes the mag well sides will rub the mag and be the cause of the mag not dropping free. Slightly bending in the sides of the mag sometimes helps this.

http://www.ktog.org/mags.htm

also make sure there is no ridges or plastic flashing inside the mag well, that will also keep them in there...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey YZ,

Just wanted to get back with a range report on the S & W 59 15 rd mags. I ran 4 mags worth of Winchester USA (white box) with no problems at all! (I did only load 14 rds ea time) but all ran just fine and the slide locked back on the last shot just like it's supposed to do. Much better controle too with the 15 rounders. I had to file off some of the follower so it would ride up higher into the mag to lock the slide back on the last shot.
Then just cleaned up the mag real good inside and out. Still need to get the Wolff spring for it. Thanks a bunch!

SKB

·
Registered
153 Posts
S&W 12 round Mag.

Where is thebest place to buy one of the S&W 12 round Mag.
These are preban?
Also when you go to the Keltec site I can not see any accessories being sold for my P 11 like night sites Hard Crome, magazine finger extednder etc.
where do I look.

When you say 12+1 you chamber a bullit and then take the magazine out and but another one in it.

I know that might be kind of a dumb question but that is the only way I can see to do it.

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re: S&W 12 round Mag.

Tenntrains said:
When you say 12+1 you chamber a bullit and then take the magazine out and but another one in it.

I know that might be kind of a dumb question but that is the only way I can see to do it.
Can't be THAT dumb a question... that IS the only way to accomplish it and you managed to figure it out. Sorry I can't help you with the mag purchase question... for the other Kel-Tec accessories, give 'em a call.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi-Cap mags

Kel-Tec sent me a parts list not long ago and I do not know how old the list is but it shows a picture of a part that you just take off the heel of your 10 round magizine and slip it on and it turns your magizine into a 15 round.

If you look at the picture of yzguy's guns on the bottom of his posts it looks like that but longer.

$800 Box

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re: Hi-Cap mags

diamondmike said:
Kel-Tec sent me a parts list not long ago and I do not know how old the list is but it shows a picture of a part that you just take off the heel of your 10 round magizine and slip it on and it turns your magizine into a 15 round.
I hope the list is at least 10 years old because doing that to a magazine that was made in the last 10 years would be a Federal crime.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Sure that's not a sleeve for a S&W 15 rounder?

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
467 Posts
15 round

Midi,

I dont know how old the parts list is but it has the price for a stainless steel slide and barrel, so it might be from back from the first kel-tecs

Keys,

It is for the Kel-Tec mags!

$800 Box

G

·
if it is a round extender it's kind of like a radar detector in some states, just becasue they sell them it's still illegal to own them. any modification of a post-ban magazine to hold more than 10 rounds is a FEDERAL OFFENSE! pre-ban magazines are alright. what you probable saw was a boot that is placed on the magazine that allows you to have a larger grip, probably like having a full size mag in the gun. i would venture to say that KT is not knowingly violating federal law by selling parts that would increase magazine capacity. i would venture to say that mec-gar 10 rounders with quality ammo is sufficient enough. carry one for the gun and a spare. pre-ban magazines can be had but for a price. to me they are not worth it. if in fact you do have a parts list that does have "alteration parts", i am sure that KT does not sell them any longer.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
As I understand it, the extensions KT now sells are for Smith magazines... and if it's a twelve rounder, making it a fifteen rounder with an extension WOULD be legal.
Flyer

G

·
agreed becasue if it is a 12 rounder, it would probably be a pre ban magazine and yes you can convert away! however, if you are not gov't or leo and have a "restricted" magazine than it is a whole set of different problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A good source for larger cap pre-ban Kel-Tec compatible magazines (using the magazine sleeves from Kel-Tec) is CDNN. I use the 12 round smith magazines for the 6906 in mine with good results. With the Kel-Tec sleeve, the ergonomics are very nice.

FWIW,

emc

P.S. Just in case there's any confusion, Kel-Tec sells nothing other than 10 round magazines for the P-11.

·
Registered
205 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts