Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother just acquired a brand-spankin' new S&W 4040PD, which appears to be S&W's first attempt to make an autoloader using Scandium. They come with 7-rd mags stock (it's single-stack), and I can't find any info on whether or not S&W or anyone else makes any larger mags / mag extensions, or if the 4040PD will work with mags from any other models. Anyone here know any more about this? I'd like to get him some larger cap mags and I'm also interested in buying one (the pistol, that is) for myself as well, and I'll definitely want more than 7+1.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
From the looks of the S&W website, it's a 7+1 pistol -- and weighs 25.6 oz, even with the Scandium construction.

At 23 oz., I'll stick with my Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro in .45 ACP with a 10+1 capacity. :D

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Thanks Madman now I am drooling! FlyN'Scuba please don't take this wrong. If someone offered me a Smith or the Taurus the Taurus might hit the ground before I got to the Smith but I doubt it. :) If and when Smith makes that a Double stack it is in my collection principles be darned.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
That's fair. But if you want slim and a single stack, I'd take my 8+1 HK P7 at 28 ounces over the S&W. I'm just not a fan of their autos.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I like smith's single stack autos, fits my hand better than a double stack. I would NEVER sell my model 39, even though its a full size and it only holds 8 rounds, and its in need of a new barrel and maybe a new extractor (gotta take it to the smithy and see what he can do). Love that gun, and I think that 4040 is really really sexy looking.

oh yeah and a 39 mag might fit, but I kinda doubt it

G

·
Re:

Bulbman said:
oh yeah and a 39 mag might fit, but I kinda doubt it
the magazines are probably not interchangable as the feed lips on the 9mm magazine are smaller than the 40. Also, Smith and Wesson had to design a special follower with a BB in it to aid in holding the slide of the 4040 open on an empty magazine. I don't remember the specifics but it had something to do with slide velocity and the magazine spring combination. It should come with 2 magazines and an additional one, while possibly pricey will be worth the money spent.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup. Follower did have an interesting "bb" on the right side (which appears to be loaded with a small spring), and a "nubbin" on the left side to keep it centered. We ran into the problem that the "nubbin" on the left comes up over the top edge of a cutout notch on the front of the mag, and when you attempt to load the mag (on one of them, not both), you have to press the "nubbin" in after the first round, otherwise you can't get the follower below the notch, and can't get a 2nd round in. I'm not thrilled about the mag situation, but I suppose that if 7-rd mags is all I can get then I'll get an extra.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Sounds a bit like S&W is following Kahr's mag design a bit.
Is it possible to drop the slide on an empty mag, or do you have to remove the mag first? You do on a Kahr; it's designed this way.
Flyer

G

·
the follower of the 4040PD magazine, as I remember it was designed deliberately so that the slide would lock, after shooting, on an empty magazine. That is what the purpose of the "BB" is for. Apparently they had problems in the beginning with the magazine not wanting to play nice with others and as such is delayed the release of the pistol. Just my ...02 worth...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts