Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I'm hoping "there's no such thing as a dumb question" on this new KTRangers forum :?: )

I ordered and received a spare mag for my P-3AT and I have been carrying the P-3AT in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick size 4 pocket holster.

For several weeks I carried the loaded spare mag in the bottom of the same pocket next to my leg, with the holster lying overtop it and in front of it. I carry nothing else in this pocket.

Recently I noticed a thin line of rust running the entire length of of this magazine, just forward of the rear panel of the mag on the side that was facing my leg. Since then I stopped placing the spare mag next to my leg, and instead place it in front of the holster. Now of course the mag prints badly in front of the holster, but the rust seems to be arrested from further development.

I don't want to use a magazine holder in my pocket, but neither do I desire the print through or further corrosion.

What is the best way to get rid of this rust completely?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
First, take off the rust by applying some Break-Free or equivalent and gently rubbing the area with a penny. Wipe off thoroughly, then scrub the area till the copper marks are removed.
I then use an application of Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax on my magazines. This not only prevents rust, but makes them easier to insert and remove.
You'll need to re-apply the wax every month or so, but it does a good job of preventing further corrosion.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
St. Michael,

Since you carry both in the same pocket, would something like this work for you?

It is available from K&D Holsters. Contact DDGator if you are interested.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re:

Flyer said:
First, take off the rust by applying some Break-Free or equivalent and gently rubbing the area with a penny. Wipe off thoroughly, then scrub the area till the copper marks are removed.
I then use an application of Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax on my magazines. This not only prevents rust, but makes them easier to insert and remove.
You'll need to re-apply the wax every month or so, but it does a good job of preventing further corrosion.
Flyer
Thanks Flyer, this is exactly what I needed to know. I just wasn't sure what was the best way to remove the rust or what to put on after removing the rust.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re:

flyandscuba said:
St. Michael,

Since you carry both in the same pocket, would something like this work for you?
Thanks, that would work well, but my wife would kill me right now for spending more money on gun gear. :?

I'll bookmark this for AFTER the Christmas season.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looks like I need another K&D holster...I neglected to order my last Pocket Defender with the spare mag pocket. Damn! That's a pretty holster!

G

·
St Michael

I am in the same position. However, for only a few dollars (around $7.00 or so) you should be able to pick up an Uncle Mike's size #1 pocket holster, at your local gun store and make the spare mag mod (as on yz's site). I bought (1) and use it for both my P32 and my P3AT. This will be until after the x-mas season and I can pick up a [email protected] Pocket Defender for the P3AT and use it for that and the P32. Just a suggestion. I have really enjoyed the Uncle Mike's and it has a band around it to keep the holster seated in the pocket when the gun is drawn. I have carried it in Khakis, Jeans and suit pants. Give this a thougt as an temporary alternative, purchase your leather when you are ready and keep the uncle mike's as a spare.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks! It's a good suggestion but I kind of like K&D holsters. I appreciate you taking the time to suggest the other.
Barry

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: St Michael

norfdet893 said:
make the spare mag mod (as on yz's site). I bought (1) and use it for both my P32 and my P3AT. .. Give this a thougt as an temporary alternative, purchase your leather when you are ready and keep the uncle mike's as a spare.
Interestingly, I have been carrying my P-3AT in a slightly modified Uncle Mike's pocket holster size #4 that I originally purchased for my P-11.

It is taller than the size #1 but not wider. The magazine will not fit in it beside the pistol like the size #1 modification on YZ's website, so I simply made a wide diagonal buttonhole cut in the front side of it just below the midpoint curve of the trigger guard. I slid the mag in on a diagonal, then the pistol, and it works fine for now.

I hadn't tried this before. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts