Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flyer, do you rotate your pistol mags and if you do how often do you do it? Me, personally , I rotate mine every 3 months, be it my 9mms or my P32.

G

·
Never a bad idea and there are just as many theories out there as to when you should do it, as their is to how you should do it. I rotate mine every couple of months, however I probably empty them and rotate the ammo more frequently.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you rotate your magazines, make sure to rotate them exactly 360 degrees. They may appear to work with 180 degree rotation, but the bullet will be facing backward.

Sorry, just couldn't stop myself.

I don't really rotate mine on a predetermined basis. When I go to the range I empty them all, reload, and whichever one is on top goes back in the gun.

Yeah, I know you asked flyer and I'm not flyer, but for the first time in KTRange history I beat him to a post and couldn't pass up the opportunity.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
No point in rotating mine, they all stay loaded all the time... except for a couple of dozen AR mags. I only leave a few of the 30s loaded.

I've yet to need spring replacements in any of them but I'd rather replace springs than get caught one mag short of what I need cause I'm letting springs rest. My understanding is that the cycling of the springs is what wears them out anyway, so it would seem cycling them would serve no purpose. I try to use them all evenly at the range, that will have to suffice for cycling.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Mag springs don't really seem to care what you do to them, unless you streeetch them, in which case they protest violently and give up.
Recent studies have suggested that modern springs do all the "setting" they're EVER going to do in the first week or so of compression... and that seems to jibe with what I've experienced.
Still, I DO rotate my mags (for the guns I keep loaded) at least every month or so. I'm not sure it's really necessary; it's more force of habit.
One thing that IS recommended,though, is removing all rounds from your mags and reloading again, preferably into another mag. Sometimes, after periods of carry, the rounds will shift out of position enough to cause malfunctions. Rotating your mags eliminates this potential problem.
Flyer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts