Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about Rossi Firearms? Are they reliable, well built, worth the investment? I'm mainly looking at a new model 461 .357 mag. revolver to use mostly for camping. Do they compare to say Tarus or S & W Revolvers?Both of which I already have (in 38's) and really like. Thanks for any info.

SKB

·
Registered
519 Posts
i kinda got the impression that they were tied in with Taurus somehow just by looking at their website (very similar). i could be wrong, i usually am.

southern ohio gun sells some rossi
http://www.southernohiogun.com/index2.html

look under new guns

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Rossi guns have improved in quality greatly over the years, and now are fine guns.
I'm not sure the actual finish is going to equal a good Smith or even Taurus, but they're VERY well built and tough.
Good guns.
Flyer

·
Registered
432 Posts
What Flyer said. But, UGLY. Don't like the overall look. But, then again, guns shouldn't usually be bought for looks.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Re:

madman said:
What Flyer said. But, UGLY. Don't like the overall look. But, then again, guns shouldn't usually be bought for looks.
Is that but ugly or butt-ugly?

·
Registered
321 Posts
i had an old-school rossi 68 in .38. It had some of the nicest blueing i have ever seen, especially on a gun i paid $175.00 for. It shot every time i squeezed the trigger and it had that old fashioned grip frame like the model 10 smith.

·
Registered
26 Posts
According to my local dealer, Rossi revolvers are made by Taurus...or vice versa...

The key for Rossi's internal locking mechanism says Taurus on it, that much I do know....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Newer Rossi's are built in the same factories as Tauri.

My older (InterArms import) Rossi .38 snub (copy of a S&W Model 10)

* was my first handgun
* was a gift
* baptized me to the ministry of recoil
* Has NEVER failed, no matter how many rounds I shoot through it dirty.
* Shows VERY little wear.

No prestige in owning them, but my experience and others I've spoken to who've owned them has been 100% positive.

It's a Makarov of Revolvers.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope, Rossi and Taurus are distinctly different manufacturers... although it wouldn't surprise me if they've got a "business arrangement" to swap technology/parts on occasion.
Rossi guns are made in Sau Leopoldo, Brazin, and imported by Braztech. Their former importer was Interarms.
Taurus makes their guns in Porto Alegre, Brazil. They're imported by Taurus International Mfg., Inc.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
This is from the Rossi website:

In December of 1997 BrazTech International L.C. was created as the exclusive importer of Rossi firearms in North America. Previously, Rossi firearms were distributed by Interarms of Alexandria, Virginia. Rossi manufactures its classic rifles in a plant in Sa Leopoldo, Brazil and will continue operations there, selling many firearms outside the United States and North America.

At the same time, Forjas Taurus, S.A. purchased the rights and the equipment to manufacture Rossi handguns. Taurus manufactures three models of .38 Special revolvers and four models of .357 Magnum revolvers under contract with Rossi. Revolvers sold by BrazTech with the Rossi name are manufactured in a brand new facility owned by Taurus in SaoLeopoldo, Brazil. Much of the tooling and many of the machines were acquired from Rossi during negotiations between the companies.

Today's Rossi is still run by the same family and they put the same dedication and innovation into every firearm. At Rossi, it is more than just building guns...it is a family's history and tradition.
http://www.rossiusa.com/company/history.cfm

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Folks. I'm sold. Just placed (with my FFL) my order with Southern Ohio Guns for the Rossi .357 mag. SOG has great customer service and prices. (I also purchased one of my Makarov's from them) Its only 11$ S & H to my FFL, which is about 4 miles from my place so it works out to be a real quick and easy deal.

Just FYI, I HIGHLY value and greatly respect the feedback from the folks on this board. I think this is the best gun forum out there. Thanks to all!

SKB

·
Registered
519 Posts
yeah i ordered some mags from SOG once, great service. and they sent a newspaper-type catalog with the order.

·
Registered
44 Posts
rossi 720

got a rossi model 720 44 spl that hasnever failed me ever, from cas loads to corbons it has ate them all and is a tack driver, and above all she is pretty :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have an old Rossi .22 revolver that I purchased in about 1981. Original blueing is still great and it has never misbehaved. Great little gun that still goes to the range once in awhile. I think back then their .22 was a copy of the S&W model.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Aha! By jove!

Great news! Another brand to look at.

Do you know, does Rossi make only revolvers or do they also make semi's like Taurus?

Learn something new everyday here on KTR.

Cheers,
og

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OG,

No I do not believe Rossi makes semi auto's but they do have the same Key security system that Tarus uses. They make Rifles, shotguns and Matched Pair rifles which look really nice.

I really like my 2" snub 357. I have the blued version and have fired everything from 180g 357 JHP's to 38 +P FMJ. Never had a problem. The recoil with the 357's is really not that bad, I guess because of the weight of the gun (26oz) maybe just a tad bit more than a p-11. But with the 38's it seems less of a recoil than the p-11. (Not nearly as bad as my S & W 5 shot airweight 38.) and at about 300.00 delivered to my FFL I feel it was a good deal. I plan to use it mainly for camping and fishing, not CCDW. With 2 speedloaders and the P3at as back up.

SKB

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I have a 1992 Rossi .38 that has lockup issues at random intervals. It's been to a reliable smith and it still fails at random. It's been relegated to range duty only.

Regards, Keys 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.