Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.
I read pretty much every gun forum there is, and I've noticed a strange tendancy for people to call the Rohrbaugh "The best pocket pistol available". Mind you, this is coming from people who've never even seen or held one, much less put one through the wringer.
So far, the R9 has yet to beat the Kahr pistol in any subjective side-by-side test, it's closest adversary. Yes, I do realize some of these tests may be biased or skewed for other reasons.
Here's the question: I'd like all Rohrbaugh owners (or prospective owners) to inform me of this pistol's qualities that make it "The Best".
Oh... and let's just leave out the entire "Craftmanship" argument at the outset. I've got Baby Brownings, Mauser HsCs, a couple of Walthers, and a Korth 9mm that makes the Rohrbaugh look like a piece of trash in comparison.
So, fire away and convince me!
Be ready, though, for me to take a quick trip to my friend Jim's house and shoot his little pistol with the tritium sites and funny, swirly little purplish grips to see how well your arguments hold up!
Flyer

·
Registered
274 Posts
Flyer,

I'm surprised at you. This isn't that hard to figure out. It is obvious the Rohrbaugh is the best pocket pistol available today. You can easily check on this. Just look at the price. It is easily the most expensive pocket pistol available, therefore it must be the best! Isn't that how it works? The most expensive is the best and anything less is trash! I'm sure that's right, I read it over on THR!

CA

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... no reply yet.
Oh well...
I remember when the Colt All-American 2000 came out. Gun reviewers all across the country wet their pants at it's unique lockup and trigger. They pretty much insisted that if you didn't get one of these, and I mean yesterday, you were pretty much a goner.
Too bad the All-American 2000 turned out to be such a piece of junk it nearly bankrupted the company. Colt's still pulling itself out of the hole it jumped into headfirst.
What, basically, do we have with the Rohrbaugh?
Well... we've got a very small pocket pistol just a little larger than the P-3AT, that fires 9mm cartridges. It shares the lack of a slide lock.
As I recall, the price is $945.
Okay... so we've got a pistol that theoretically gives you a slight increase in power over the P-3AT, and is about as easily carried, if you're willing to spend around a thousand dollars.
From the chrono date I've seen you might gain around 50 ft. lbs. of energy. Ladies and gentlemen, since the two pistols have the same diameter bullet with the primary difference being one of bullet weight, that's not much.
The nitty-gritty: You're spending roughly $800 to have a slightly more potent pistol than a P-3AT that's as easily carried.
Hmm.. Let me do a rough bit of conjecturing, here. From what I've read it seems that the ease of carry and the quality of manufacture are two of the R9's best points. Also mentioned is that it permits full-time carry of a more potent caliber.
Okay. Here's a list:
1- Springfield 1911 loaded stainless Mil-Spec = $550.
2- Galco "Jackass" shoulder rig = $130.
3- Tie-downs for the rig if needed = $30.
4- Two good spare mags = $40.
Okay, I get $750. I'm not counting ammo costs or anything commonly required for ANY type of gun. Oh yeah, one final thing:
5- Brain = Priceless.
Ok.
Lemme think. Will I have to work harder to carry the 1911 than the R9? Heck yeah. Probably a LOT.
The real question is, though, CAN I do it if I really WANT to? Heck, yeah.
Okay, we've assembled our hardware. Say you've got a full $1000 in the R9 if you got a good holster, and we've got $250 left over. Fair enough.
Let's assemble a team of identical twins: One's got the R9, the other the Springer. Both are superb with their guns; one is no more skilled than the other in the least. Our twin "Jack" has the R9, "Jerry" the Springer.
Jack and Jerry hit the town. Jerry isn't as spry as Jack; he's weighed down a little. Jack's able to hop around like a bunny rabbit. In fact, Jack is one happy camper; Jerry's beginning to feel like he got the shaft in this experiment.
Nevertheless, both have a good time at the movies and dinner. They flirt with girls with equal success; both get phone numbers, and Jack even gets an email address from a blonde waitress.
What's that? It's time to go home! Boy, the night sure passed quickly. Jack skips through the exit, holding the door for Jerry. Jerry has a backache.
This was dumb, both think as they part, each heading to separate ends of the parking lot to their Honda Accords. There wasn't any need to carry that big brick of metal around. Jerry is thinking this more than Jack; Jack's only thinking it 'cause he cares about his brother and doesn't like to see him uncomfortable. They shake hands goodnight and part company.
Back-ache or not, Jerry arrives at his Accord exactly as Jack arrives at his, keys ready to unlock the door.
Both men look up at the same time as each faces a thug with a pistol who says "Gimme yer keys, asswipe".
Jerry and Jack both hesitate; is this really happening? The cocking of the thug's hammer serves as an audible reminder that it is. "I ain't got NO time! I'd just as soon take the damned keys off your dead body as wait, so hand 'em HERE!"
They realize simultaneously that the man is GOING to shoot them.
Both Jerry and Jack go for their guns.
Fifteen minutes later:
(Continued)

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(Continued)
Jerry is sitting above his brother in the ambulance, hoping like hell the thug hasn't succeeded in killing his brother with a .38 slug in his abdomen.
Another ambulance follows them to the hospital, carrying the thug who's got a 9mm slug in his shoulder.
A third vehicle is getting ready to leave the scene of the crime, but this one's in less of a hurry; an expanded .45 slug has resulted in a call for a hearse, not an ambulance.
Jack awakens, and sees his brother, who immediately grips his hand. "Jerry," he whispers. His brother leans close.
"Looks like your damn gun wasn't too heavy to carry after all!"
Flyer

·
Registered
168 Posts
I love story time... :D Very well writen.

You aren't finding R9 combativness here because I don't think any of us have said it is the best pocket pistol available.

Time will tell that, there just isn't enough to make that claim. It is undisputedly the smallest 9mm available and I would love to have one. There are many good 9mm defense rounds as well.

Is it a 45? no, nor is it supposed to be. Your opening challenge was regarding pocket pistols but I agree that there is only moderate gain over a .380. The biggest being penetration. There have been many discussions regarding the various .380 defense rounds and their ability to penetrate. That discussion is less frequent in the 9mm world.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
more!

joking.....CA Guy is right, the highest price anything is best, like a Jaguar or Rols Royce, only got 4 wheels like anyother but cost more so must be best.

serious.....Good summary, Flyer, add to your list of challenges the effect of the .1" shorter barrel on hollowpoint expansion. I'm still waiting for someone, anyone to do a gelatin test or wetpack test. And like I've said, I'll be happy to do the wetpack test, just send me your R9 for the test and I'll do it. :lol: 8) :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm figuring that, in the near future, the Rohrbaugh will make for the "best deal ever on a discontinued pistol from a bankrupt company", that CDNN Investments has ever advertised in Gun List! My crystal ball says they'll be closing 'em out for $499 or so, with an extra mag (while supplies last)..That'll beat heck out of the deal they had on Autauga Arms's .32. Remember those? :wink:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I remember the Autaugas. I've got 2, great little pistols. I'd take one of the Guardian any day. Only 3,200 were made & CDNN got about 1,500 of them. Not sure why they went belly up - maybe too small for the marketing needed to sell a bunch of them. I stocked up on spare parts but have never had a failure of any kind.

Blackhawk on the KTOG forum sure liked his Rohrbaugh. Don't believe he ever got to shoot it before his stroke though.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'm told the fit and finish are excellent. The telephone discussions I've had with Eric Rohrbaugh gave me the impression that he was a man obsessed with quality.

I ordered one -- and was supposed to have it last month. Sadly, the selling dealer (LISC.net) did not live up to his promise and I cancelled my order with him. Eric has mine going to a local dealer. It was supposed to be "expedited" through the manufacturing process, but sadly -- it appears that this promise has fallen by the wayside too.

If it comes in, I'll get it -- but at this point, if the order falls through, I won't be sad that I was spared from spending $900 on it.

They ARE selling as fast as they can get them out the door. Does that make it the "finest" pocket pistol? Not sure. I've enjoyed -- and relied upon my P-3AT, but with it's recent failure, I've chosen to go back to my tried and true P-32 for pocket carry.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
good news from scuba

hi, scub,

If you do eventually get a R9, remember that you are a "certified" (whatever that means :p ) wetpack tester. Then you can do a little test for us to compare with the PM9 tests that I did.

Keep us, at least me, posted on the status. I'd sure like to see what that .1" shorter barrel does.

Cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Flyer,

From the tone of your initial post, I am not sure you want to be convinced of the merits of the R9...

Mine is on order, and has been for a while. I am not yet prepared to say it is the best pocket pistol ever. The closest 9mm pocket pistol would be the PM-9, if you consider the PM-9 a pocket pistol -- some don't. My take from the opinions of others I trust is that the R-9 is very good at being what it is -- the smallest 9mm pocket pistol available.

Is it expensive? Sure. Not so unreasonable when you realize it that there are NO cast or MIM parts anywhere. The high-quality Kimber I bought had a MIM thumb safety snap-off in my hand before I ever fired a round.

I am not sure I get the comparision between an R-9 and a Springfield loaded. Wouldn't a P-3AT or P-11 lose the same comparision?

Rohrbaugh won't be in bankruptcy anytime soon. They have a huge waiting list of people who have already plunked down their money -- and that was before any advertising at all.

For what its worth, I have talked at length with Eric Rohrbaugh and he and is brother Karl are very nice guys, firmly committed to the cause, and firmly focused on quality products and customer satisfaction.

If you want some opinions and thoughs of owners -- spend some time on my forum. Frankly, Flyer, I would think a guy like you could really appreciate the R-9 if you gave it a chance. Its like the appeal of an H&K P7M8 -- its expensive and unique and there is nothing else quite like it. But -- you may have to have one to appreciate it.

G

·
Re:

DDGator said:
Rohrbaugh won't be in bankruptcy anytime soon. They have a huge waiting list of people who have already plunked down their money -- and that was before any advertising at all.
So did Dornaus & Dixon with the Bren Ten.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It amazes me that this bankruptcy thing keeps coming up -- almost like people are wishing it on them. Why all the negative energy about a new company with strong leadership and a quality product? Isn't any new firearm company good news for the cause?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know about the bankruptcy thing... I never brought it up.
However, I DID fire the R9 today.
I really don't have much to say about it... it worked fine, with just a couple of hitches chambering a round, but nothing serious.
The thing is... I don't get the impression I'm firing a more powerful pistol, at ALL. It doesn't feel much different than shooting the P-3AT at all, in terms of recoil. Muzzle flash is much greater, as I'd suspected.
I'll probably take it out next weekend and give it my personal "test" of stopping power... how well it can clear a table of bowling pins. A full-sized Beretta does a pretty good job, a P-11 not quite as well, but they still go off the table...
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to set the pins up on the .380 line, though. Something tells me it's just not going to have the "oomph" to take them off the table from the standard 9mm position.
Again, I could be wrong - I haven't tried it yet. Subjectively, though, I sense pretty much equal energy coming from each gun, with perhaps a slight nod towards the Rohrbaugh.
Anyhow, we'll see... I'm not going to dismiss it without giving it a fighting chance.
Flyer

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know you didn't bring it up -- and this isn't the first time I have heard it. I believe Rohrbaugh will do well and I hope others at least don't wish them malice.

Let us know how the bowling pin test goes -- not entirely scientific, but enlightening nonetheless.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Personally, I think it's absolutely kick-*ss that two people this dedicated to quality firearms manufacturing are making guns. I've been watching the Rohrbaugh homepage for about a year now, and reading posts from people who have them on order, or folks who have been in touch with the Rohrbaughs. I hope they succeed. I hope that Rohrbaugh and Kel-Tec put their heads together and collaborate. Can you imagine a polymer/aluminum Rohrbaugh, or perhaps a P3AT with extremely tight tolerances and near-perfect finishing?

Let's not forget my wish -- a **true** .45 pocket pistol, 5+1 SS mag, 2" barrel... I bet Rohrbaugh could make it happen, albeit a bit slowly, perhaps.

Most of all, I hope they do so well that the price comes down enough in a few years that I can justify buying one. I'd love one, but for a grand I can buy two or three or even four other guns, and I will.

·
Registered
207 Posts
"I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to set the pins up on the .380 line, though. Something tells me it's just not going to have the "oomph" to take them off the table from the standard 9mm position." Flyer
-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Be nice now, after all this is a concealment pistol, not the *Hammer of Thor*

The guys are bit excited over a new, high quaility pistol, that is hard to find, and a little tough to *pony up* for..
I feel this will be a Cult Pistol, as a few others before it...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts